Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
I got mine last thursday and put it in the trash. I know I could donate it, but that means it would sit in my house for some unknown period of time. The baby is due in probably a shorter unknown period of time, and I just don't want it in the house at all.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonna call my sis and check out what her plans are for breastfeeding. I know it's going to be hard for her in some ways, schedule-wise... I know that's very UNlactivist of me, but she's the working parent in that family. Besides a general laziness about pumping, she TRULY will have scheduling difficulties with her work and the baby. Planning on breastfeeding during the summer, and we're REALLY encouraging her to bf/pump after that, since her son will only be a couple months old. Sad, but again- the bills do need to be paid.

I can't imagine being put in that situation. I really am fortunate. As, hopefully, will be my little one.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by didkisa View Post
How did they get your address to send you the formula? I don't get it...
Motherhood Maternity is notorious for selling their customers' info to formula companies among others. I always refuse to give them my number or address, but the girl who used to live in back of us didn't know better and we are still getting crap for her.
: I Freecycle most of the formula stuff, except anything from Nestle because they are the worst.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
I haven't gotten any since #2 and this is #5. I refuse to give Motherhood my info and I have shopped there and Mimi during the last three pregnancies. I think some OB offices and hospitals give out info too but since I HB with a MW that isn't an issue either.

Keri

·
Registered
441 Posts
We got formula too - because we registered at Target I think. I called Similac and told them to take me off their list AND I opened the box with the two cans of formula, put a big note inside that said "Breastfeeding - I don't need your formula!!", taped the box back up and wrote "Refused - Return to Sender" on the box.

Stupid formula companies!!

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I've always declined the offers for "pampers and formula" from the maternity store, but apparently this time my mother-in-law gave them my address when she bought me a gift. So I too received my first ever formula that I have ever owned - one can reg, one can soy. Waiting to donate - having successfully nursed two children already, I don't feel vulnerable to being undermined at this point.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I was given formula at my ultra sound (if you can believe that
: ) I didn't know what it was and thank them for the bag and walked out of the office. When I opened it in the hall I was so mad!!!!!! I went back inside and gave it back and told them I was not interested and would not need it. Talk about putting doubt into someone. "you're only five month pregnant, but we still think you'll fail at breastfeeding so here is your sample"

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by chemE_momE View Post
I just got some too. More than last time. I will probably try to give it away but in the meantime I asked DH to hide it in the basement before my midwife arrived at my house.

WAY OT- I used to live in Chester County

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by paisley View Post
Motherhood Maternity is notorious for selling their customers' info to formula companies among others. I always refuse to give them my number or address, but the girl who used to live in back of us didn't know better and we are still getting crap for her.
: I Freecycle most of the formula stuff, except anything from Nestle because they are the worst.
Wow, now that you mention it, I do recall them asking me if I want to sign up for some kind of "membership" when I bought a top there about a month ago. I asked why...and she sang the "exciting" offer of "free formula and disposable diapers!" I told her I'm breastfeeding and have all the cloth diapers I'll need! She quickly gave up. I've just always been in the habit of questioning anyone who asks for my personal information (beyond the zip code question...I think that's safe, and I do know they sometimes use that for verification on a credit card charge). Just say, "I would prefer not to!" If they absolutely insist on a phone number I give them my old work #! I still get the last laugh!

BTW, I used to work for an OB/GYN and we never gave out personal information on any of our patients! That would be sooo unethical. However, the doctor and his nurse practitioner wife gave away the free formula "gift" sets, along with a copy of "What to Expect...." Ugh! (I think the formula gift set had a card you could send in, tho', and I think most people did that, although it was completely optional)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am always shocked when the person at a register nonchalantly asks for my phone number or address! they always say can you tell me your.... and I just smile poltiely and say no. they are always surprised as if noone has said no before but they have never pushed further. At first when I still felt more meek I would ask why? that just gets you into a confusing conversation.
if I was at a bar would I give out my number to anyone who asks? of course not but this american consumer culture makes us think that we have to answer them. I also think it is sooo rude when you are walking down the street and someone shoves a flyer at you. people usually take them because without having time to think, we just follow directions.
you may not be surprised to hear that I have gotten no formula thus far

·
Registered
282 Posts
I got some last week, and I'm on NO mailing lists, as I just moved. I have no idea how they got my new address. I haven't even bought maternity clothes from Motherhood this pregnancy and I KNOW my midwife wouldn't have put me on any lists.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.