Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the worst heartburn/reflux that kept me awake a good part of last night. I know I shouldn't eat before bed, so that was my fault, but it happened again when I woke up for water in the night. I know I can take Tums, but they don't usually do me a lot of good. I'll try them, but does anyone have other ideas for me? Is heartburn this early pg'cy related? Didn't have it like this early-on last time. Maybe it's stress-related...

·
Premium Member
6,470 Posts
I suffer from acid reflux even when not pregnant and I'm able to control it with diet, but during pregnancy I have to go on Zantac. Papaya enzyme is good for acid reflux, I've also heard that almonds can help as well. Tums are okay but I wouldn't overdo those. I have been getting it on occasion during this pregnancy, progesterone is the culprit because it relaxes the valve that separates your esophagus and stomach and allows stomach acid to come back up.

·
Registered
9,587 Posts
For me, I have to stay away from dairy. If I don't eat dairy, I don't normally have heartburn. Also, which you know, don't eat late at night. For mild heartburn, I have found that papaya enzymes work really well. I tend to chew on a piece of dried papaya after I eat. You know, it seems like if it is really bad though, the only thing that works is a Tums or Rolaids. Hopefully someone else will have some better info for you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts