Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had planned a waterbirth and had planned on purchasing the ever popular fishy pool (Intex Inflatable 60" Diameter Aquarium Ocean View Pool) and was told it was available at a specific store. Well, there is not one friggin' store that carries this pool in my city and I am freaking out! I know I may not want to labor and deliver in the water but I was really planning on it.

I don't know what to do and am panicking. All the comparable pools were only 18" high or lower - if I wanted to lay down for the delivery I'd lay on the floor.
:

I can't order online because I don't have a credit card. And even if I did I'd end up spending even more in custom fees. Ugh. I just can't accept that I can't have a waterbirth. And now I'm worried that my thinking "I reeeeeeeeally want a waterbirth" is going to be counter productive to my labor.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
I saw the larger fishy pool (72" hexagon shaped) at Toys R Us this weekend. It was $24.99. I didnt get it because I wanted the smaller one. Have you tried a Toys R Us store?

If not, I would be happy to go back and get it and ship it to you. When are you due? (Can't see sig) It might be a little pricey since its kinda heavy, but I would hate to have your birth messed with! PM me if you are interested.

PS: I hate that shipping to Canada is so much more $$$ when distance wise, some parts of Canada are closer then some parts of the US. Just a personal rant of mine.
Overseas I understand, but come on! It just right up there! :LOL

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for offerring, Jenn!

I checked what the postage would be and for 4-6 week ground it's over $19 and I'm due in 3 weeks. I can't really afford that nevermind the faster shipping.

I have been checking around and there is a similar pool without the inflatable bottom... but I'm worried that it will be uncomfortable on my knees/butt/etc. And I'm not sure how stable it would be if I put a comforter or something underneath.

Anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Erika, we just found out that the fishy pool we used for Adam's birth has been made smaller. I'm glad we didn't buy it when we saw it at CDN Tire. It's apparently 1/3 less deep then it used to be.

Unfortunately, my husband was too lazy to clean up and store the pool we still had from Adam so it was destroyed. Our midwife brought a bunch in from the US with padded bottoms but they are $50!! We're planning on buying one from her and donating it back to them for women who maybe can't afford it.

I wonder if there is a place in Canada to rent Aqua Doulas.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I can't imagine that putting a blanket or sleeping bag under the pool would affect it's stability. Just lie the blanket out, and then put the pool on top and fill it. I know someone here mentioned (in reference to the troughs) that they put a pillow in the bottom of their trough and then put down a tarp before filling it. I think there are definately ways you could make the other pool you've found work.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I labored in a 150 gallon Rubbermaid Stock Tank with DD, and really liked how deep it is. I had a little stool to sit on inside it, covered with a towel for comfort.
http://www.rubbermaidproducts.com/Me...99+Stock+Tanks

I also liked its firmness- something to hold onto! I leaned forward a lot, kneeling, holding onto the edge and resting my forehead between my hands (more towels!)

Any hardware store should carry them, and if after the birth, you feel it's, oh, you know, not what you need, you can always return it!
The 100 gallon was almost big enough, but I'm rather big and tall, and just felt I'd stick with the 150.

The "shipping weight" listed at the link I gave is surprising! I just walked over to the one in my living room, lifted it, and I'd say its actual weight is around 50 pounds.

Good luck to you! I'm sure something will work out! Do not despair!
Is the worst case scenario sitting on a birth ball in the shower, cuz even that's pretty nice.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
We had what sounds like the same fishy pool you are wanting and I am pretty sure we did not inflate the bottom because we had a water bed heater under it. It was fine, in the water you don't feel your weight. Bath tubs are not padded on the bottom and they are still comfy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.