Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH got a new job much closer to home. This means he pays less for transportation, he gets a higher salary, and supposedly a bonus (never got a bonus at his last place). Also, this place is small and not one to outsource (a big concern at his other job).

Now, the BIG concern for me was the insurance, before he even accepted the job. Our ins. was great before . . .like a PPO with HMO coverage. I have never had--ever-- even as a child, non HMO insurance. This new one only gives us $1500 per yr/family, then 90/10 coverage. I am so worried about it. We didn't put money into the tax-free savings (we can do it again in December) because we didn't know better (we were supposed to do it the 1st month he got hired). Now everytime there is a health-related concern, I stress . . .and I know we'll have to pay a big chunk of change when I have the baby (in a hospital with a MW). We've never made health-related decisions with money as a factor, and now that's exactly what we have to do.
:

Any tips for going about this frugally or in a financially sound way? When I get the chance to put the money in the tax-free account, how do I know how much?

I feel like the bonus/extra salary is just going to go right back into the bills for healthcare, so it's really not any extra money at all. But then again, maybe DH would've gotten laid off and we'd have no insurance.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I don't know much but do know that most medical bills, as long as you keep paying, even as mucht as $10, will not bother you to much. I can't tell you much more because we do have an HMO which is good cuz we have a hard enough time with the co-pays but I just pay what I can, a little to each, and we're ok.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
We are changing insurances. We are leaving the land of $20 copays to a deductible, and 80/20.

I calculated the difference between old insurance and new insurance and it was around $800 more for the same time period. We were allowed to adjust our Flexible Spending Account, which we did.

Some things worked for us and some things didn't. Taking the kids to the pediatrician is less by paying 20% than paying $20. And dh's chiro will be free for the first 6 or 7 visits. But, if we go to the hospital or ER, it will knock us but good.

The era of great health insurance is GONE. Insurance companies are changing. We are changing to Blue Cross/Blue Shield, which used to be the granddaddy of all insurance plans. Not so anymore.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
We are in the era of pay more and get less health coverage. I believe there was a cartoon in the New Yorker about it. Dr. talking to patient is saying "I see your insurance covers everything except illness."

Every year I pay more for less at my company. I refuse to use a strict HMO but my co-pay is the same as the HMO is I use an in-network dr. I think it is actually a 60/40 split now if I go out of network.

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
As far as the medical account figure out fixed medical expenses, say you get new eye glasses every year to the tune of 200 dollars babe see's a doc on average 4 times a year ect, then add a small amount to that number. The problem with med reimbursement it it's use it or loose it. So if you contribute too much money to the account and can't use it in a calendar year it's gone forever.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The nice thing about flexible spending accounts though is that you can use it for over the counter meds as well. Our insurance allows us to use it for certain essential oils and other things "prescribed" by our chiropractor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts