Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week, when I had my midwife appointment, I told her about reoccuring rash on my extrior of my yoni that I had 2 weeks prior, and was just healing up from. On top of that, I had had a UTI the previous week, saw a doc, and got antibiotics (I had tried drinking copious amounts of cranberry juice and clear water baths only but I was in horrid burning pain). The UTI cleared, but was left with a yeast infection--which I was able to let run its course without any extra allopathic meds. So with all this happening to my poor yoni, I allowed my midwife to do a shallow swab to see if things are indeed clearing up.

She called back this morning with the results and I am positve for GBS. Plus I woke with a new UTI. She consulted with a doc and decided to have me take both Keflex and penicillin. She wants to do another swab next week to test for GBS. I asked the doc if a homebirth was still possible, and he said the whole IV antibiotics in labor schpiel. I asked if there were any other methods to help ensure a homebirth. He said nope, unless that I test negative later on because GBS sometimes clears on its own.

UGH! I don't Don't DON'T want to give birth in a hospital, especially the one that I am supposed to go to. I am talking old-old fashioned maternity ward with curtains only separating the beds with 6-10 beds per large room. Fathers cannot stay with new moms and babes overnight, even if they have just birthed the babes. All the strangers poking at me and babe all in the name of medicine, just makes my stomach turn. UGH! I think I'd rather stick forks in my forehead than go to the hospital.

I read somewhere here that having "yogurt sex" or doing a 1 unit of hibiclens to 20 units water in a douche (hibiclens leave the natural lactobacillus behind--the good germs) could help. I told my husband about the yogurt sex and he wasn't keen on that idea. I have never douched because I have always been told that it is a big no no, so that makes me a bit nervous, but I will do it, if it means a healthy babe at the end of a homebirth. Or should I just (for lack of a better thought) spackle my vagina and yoni with plain yogurt?

ARGH! Just when I get my husband fully on board with having a homebirth--he gets scared off with GBS...

Sorry for the long post, TMI and the ranty type nature of this post...

Karin

·
Premium Member
2,988 Posts
Karin, I don't pretend to be an expert on this, but I was just yesterday doing some research on this as my midwife wants me to start taking probiotics in preparation for taking the GBS test around 36 weeks. This thread was so informative. I would highly suggest you reading it. I hadn't heard of the yogurt sex, but have heard of the hibiclens douche and loading up on probiotics (yogurt, kefir, probiotic supplements in pill or powder form, etc.), and a host of other natural remedies that I think are covered in depth in the thread I linked. It is possible for you to test negative later in this pregnancy - you don't have to give up on your home birth just yet!

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
I would try a hibiclens solution (with a couple drops of TTO for good measure) in just a peri bottle rather than a douche. Just squirt it gently around/in the vaginal opening, not trying to get it way up inside. That's what my first mw suggested as a GBS+ protocol during labor (instead of abx in the hosp.) I didn't do the GBS test last time, and prolly won't this time...I'll just assume a positive and do the hibiclens/probiotic/immune booster protocol.

What does your MW say about GBS? Will she risk you out of a homebirth based on a positive test, or is she comfortable going forward with hb? I think the answer to that Q is more important than what the consulting doc thinks.

ETA: "Spackled Vagina" sounds like a great name for a rock band! Or maybe a DDDDC.....

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
TWO abx? That's insane!!!!

And ALL of the studies and info I have read on GBS (I tested positive awhile back) say that abx during labor really do NOTHING if you don't have serious symptoms-preterm labor, fever, etc.

I will be doing garlic, echinacea, and vitamin C. I will be using garlic and maybe a tto tampon, too. And hibicleanse during labor if I remember.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Do some reading and research on the use of antibiotics to "prevent" gbs in infants. It's NOT an evidence based practice!!!!

You *do not* have to consent to abx ever.

Of course you have a bunch of stuff popping up, your natural flora is disturbed. If I felt like I really must absolutely had to create a negative result, I'd work on getting rid of the other issues, then make a garlic tampon, hibicleans, take probiotics, and then, wash with hibicleans right before the test.

I personally do not take the test at all since it's so easy to influence. I use the hibicleans protocol and don't allow internal exams during birthing. If I MUST be checked, the MW's hand is coated with hibicleans first.

I would also refuse abx unless baby actually had symptoms of something. Abx kill off all the *good* stuff too, which is more of a risk IMO. I absolutely detest using abx for "prevention" when all it does it distress the body's natural defenses! Ugh, sorry to go off on a mini rant, but this subject is one o those whoch irks me to no end precidely because it's fear-based, not evidence based.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Karin I'm sorry about all the yoni problems. I had four yeast infections in a row at the start of my pregnancy. They finally stopped when dh treated himself with a cream for 7 days - even though he had no symptoms. Now that I have crazy itching from cholestasis I can't sleep without an icepack between my legs! Anyways where I live you can get the iv & antibiotics for about $250 to use at a homebirth. I myself declined the test. My first birth was too fast to have used abx even if I had needed them. Would your midwife consider simply educating you on the risk factors & what to watch out for?

·
Premium Member
3,603 Posts
I'd check with your midwife, cause my midwife is able to administer IV abx while at home. I'm hoping that I test - this time, I've spent $150 for probotics hoping to not have it...hope it works!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I tested + with both my girls and did have IV abx in labor...

This time we're doing a birth center or homebirth (depends on a ton of things still up in the air.
) and the midwife is not at all concerned about the abx... they have several other options... so many, that as she listed them all off to me I couldn't remember the first one by the time she finished. I've asked her about it twice now, and she's explained all my options... but I can't seem to remember anything except that we'll be assuming that I am GBS+, and it's not a big deal.

Emily

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Discuss what other options you have! I know at my hospital, if you test GBS+ you can decline abx, but the baby needs to have a blood test done within an hour or two after birth to see if everything is okay. Hopefully your next GBS test will show up negative!

So, a question for all you ladies who are in the know - would vaginal insertion of acidophilus capsules each morning and a couple drops of TTO at night be a good idea for prevention?? I'm being offered the GBS test in about 4-5 weeks. I have done that for minor yeast infections and found it way more convenient than inserting yogurt vaginally... a tip on inserting yogurt, though, if anyone's interested? Get a rubber glove and fill the fingers with yogurt and tie/rubber band them off and snip off your little yogurt pops. Freeze 'em. It's so soothing during a YI. I usually put a few drops of TTO in there. (I used to have yeast infections for weeks if not months at a time, apparently from hormonal birth control. Lovely!)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I'm assuming your UTI showed GBS as well? That's a little more involved than just a swab of the vagina/rectum showing colonization. I think abx are completed warranted in that situation and hope your infection clears quickly and that you can avoid anymore yeast (watch out for BV too...when things get out of balance it can show up too).

I know that the CPM I talked with for my first birth offered IM injection of abx for GBS+ moms b/c she couldn't do IV abx (I guess b/c she's not a CNM) but I think there were other options as well.

Hibiclens is great, but be aware that it can cause a yeast infection as well and that is not fun just after having given birth.

Christa

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you ladies for all of your wonderful support and suggestions!!! I am off to an herbalist to get an assortment of "goodies". I am quite confident now that I can beat this bug and have a healthy baby. I will be talking quite in depth with my midwife next week at our appt, and letting her know just how important it is to me that I birth at home. But if she refuses, then I will probably lock myself in the bathroom at home, happily have my baby, and then call her so that she can just come over and do all the paperwork on my "precip" birth

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UUUUGHHH AAAAAAHH and *&^$£"%£""£^&*&&^)(*^(!!!!

Ok, I had to get that out!

Yesterday (sorry had my midwife appt date wrong in my head when I posted the above entry) I had my midwife appointment. My husband and I go into the exam room and we are greeted with the other midwife "E" and was told right away that my assigned midwife "J" was off in Spain on vacation. Nice that my midwife let us know.. Then E said to me in a joking, yet condescendingly, tone, "Group B Strep! What'dya go and do that for?" ha ha hardy har har. I explained to her that J took the swab for thrush/yeast and wasn't told or asked if I consented for a GBS test. E starts shuffling around in a flexie folder for some stickers, and asked if a consultant OB/GYN gave me a pamphlet on GBS. No- I reply--I haven't seen an OB/Gyn. She says that the pamphlet can be a little dark and depressing, but she'll give me a copy before we leave. I asked if they require IV abx in labor, even though I knew the answer would be yes, but I was hoping to bring about a discussion about it. Yes-she said--they do and we'd have to go to the hospital for it. I said that I didn't want an IV at all. She finds the sticker and affixes it to my notes--Big yellow sticker that has on it "Group B Strep ALERT give intrapartum IV antibiotics" She basically tells me that I can't have a homebirth, Iv abx for the health of the baby. I tell her that I have read up on GBS and I still don't want the IV abx. She shoots a look to my husband (he says later on to me this, as I didn't see it and that it made him want to stand up and slap her) as if to say--She's YOUR wife, put her back in line. He says in my defense that I don't do well with needles, and that I pass out or nearly pass out. She tells us that she's going to have J and their supervisor "JC" come out and explain it to me at a later date and proceeds to circle the "give intrapartum IV abx" on the aforementioned sticker, writes declined near it with a heavily darkened arrow pointing to it.

No true discussion, no Q & A time, no time for understanding. I was made to feel like I was a completely uneducated (I have had more time in college and university than is required to become a midwife here in the UK, and my main focus has been Biology, Microbiology and Human Anatomy--so really I am no dummy) and my intelligence was truely dismissed and insulted. *I are unedumicated. Reeeding them thar books are for them thar hi flootin fan see pants persons. Ig na inse is bliss my grandpawpaw wud alwaz says* UGGGH!! that what I was to made to feel like!

She wasn't too happy that I didn't want to use her automatic BP either, as last time the pain made my BP skyrocket and I nearly passed out from that. So she had to go hunt down a regular cuff that would fit my big arms. Then complained to us that her arm hurt from pumping it up. I was amazed that my BP was as low as it was (110/70) the way that I was feeling by that time, I thought i'd be 170/110 or something of the like!

Then it was hurry up and palpate, measure, and used the doppler and get out. *NEXT!* (not that I really wanted to stay any longer)

I am now a very true believer that fear/anger/stress/high negative emotions can manifest itself as pain in a person's body. Yeah, my body really let me know that it was unhappy when I got on the exam table with THEE MOTHER of all round ligamant pains on my left side! I'll take a non-novocained tooth extraction over that RLpain anyday! I breathed through it and rubbed at it like I do with a leg cramp, and E was trying to hurry up and palpate while I was going through the pain.

When we left, my husband walked away from me, and I could feel the anger eminating from him, and mistook that he was upset at me for refusing IV abx. We get home and I am in tears, and we talk. He was sooo angry at E and how we were treated that he decided to call her supervisor JC.

Whew! She was calm, as was he, and curteous and has made an appointment to come to our home on Saturday afternoon to clear things up, and have a discussion. She asked if I was educated on GBS and he said that I was very well read on it now (thanks for all the links Ladies!!!) She herself needs to read up on it, but she thought that I could very well continue with a homebirth with the stipulation that if baby or myself were in immediate danger that I go into the hospital.

I am actually looking forwards with meeting with JC and having a non-rushed civilized discussion with her and let her know exactly why I want a total hands-off homebirth.

Thank you for muddling through this novel long post.

I am going to try and go back to my "Slow down, take a breath, and enjoy this pregnancy" zen mode that I was enjoying before

·
Banned
943 Posts
I don't understand why they can't do the IV antibiotics at home? My midwife does that for moms who test positive, using a hep lock between doses so you are not "hooked up" most of the time - all midwives should have the capacity to set up an IV...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
RRRRGH! So rude! I'm glad you're meeting with this other more reasonable-sounding person.

I don't quite get why IV abx are recommended in labor for this... I know at my hospital, if you refuse IV abx with a + GBS test, they recommend (not require) that the baby get a blood test within an hour of birth and be given abx if indicated. But I'm not very well-read on the topic.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.