1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new pet pev!...
People mocking my son!
I HATE it! lol
Not really 'positive' is it! - I also dont punish or ignore tantrums...so it doesnt help when other people mock his feelings by pretend crying at him or moan at him, etc...its not very nice!!!

Anyone else experience this? How do you handle it?

·
Registered
521 Posts
I hate that too! My DH did it once to DS because he was trying to make him laugh and "get over it". I just told him to stop it, and then explained why it was so negative out of DS's earshot. He hasn't done it since.

For others, though it hasn't happened yet, I plan to just say "Don't do that." Maybe I'll add a please if I feel the need to be polite.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
They do this to his face?! What??
:

My mom used to do that to me when I was a kid and I hated it. It made me feel like my feelings weren't real and didn't matter. It gives me a bad feeling to this day.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I totally hear you. I finally had to calmly (and admittedly condescendlingly) talk to most of my family about being the bigger person and leading by example. I had asked them to stop repeatedly, but they just weren't getting it, so I had to go into a detailed explanation of how offensive they were being and tell them to knock it off. Not very gentle of me, I know.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
When my 3.5 year old cries, just being moody, sometimes I go, "Wwaaaahhhhh" with a very exaggerated sad look, and she cracks up. Not very nice if they're just mocking though-but maybe they thought it'd make him laugh? Works with mine (though it might not if a stranger did it).

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
When my 3.5 year old cries, just being moody, sometimes I go, "Wwaaaahhhhh" with a very exaggerated sad look, and she cracks up. Not very nice if they're just mocking though-but maybe they thought it'd make him laugh? Works with mine (though it might not if a stranger did it).
I do this too. I guess I can tell whether my kids are being whiney/moody or if they're truly upset about something, esp if the car when I can't walk away from the noise! It usually cracks them up. I'd never do that if they were really upset.

·
Registered
708 Posts
my mom does this to my son sometimes too and it makes him even MADDER ugh why do people do this?

so i feel you i'm right there rolling my eyes with you

·
Registered
220 Posts
OMG, that's horrible! I can't believe people do that. Well, maybe I can but it's a sad indication of our society.

Anyway, I would respond with one of the following depending on my mood:
"I'd appreciate if you responded with more sympathy to his feelings."
"Hmmm...I don't think that is helping our situation here."
"We don't tease people like that in our family."
"I'd prefer if you found another way to respond to him."

And sometimes I respond to people through my son like, "It sounds like Grandpa is teasing you. I don't imagine that feels good. You can tell Grandpa 'please stop that' if you'd like." I do this NOT because I don't want to directly communicate with someone - it's more that I want to also use the opportunity to teach my son what his response could be if I weren't there to protect him in situations like that, ykwim?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.