Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I called my midwife this morning b/c of a decrease in baby's movements since last night. Usually this baby is incredibly active, and wakes up every time I do in the middle of the night, and then when I eat breakfast goes crazy, and then goes crazy in the shower, etc. Well, last night baby didn't move much at all, not when I got up to go the bathroom, not when I laid back down. Baby didn't move much this morning either, not when I ate breakfast, not when I took a shower, not when I drank juice and laid down for a while. So I called the on call midwife and told her - she said it was probably fine, but that she wanted me to go to the ER just to make sure.

So I go in, and they hook me up to monitors - which baby HATES and so starts moving immediately...of course - and ask me where I'm delivering. I say - Brooklyn Birthing Center, I'm seeing the midwives there, etc. The woman asks me if its attached to a hospital - its not - and then asks me if I can have an epidural there - I tell her I can't b/c its not attached to a hospital, so if baby goes into distress we have to transfer, etc. She then asks me if I care about the health of my baby!!!! Wow, I really wasn't expecting that - I was there b/c of decreased movement - b/c I was worried about baby!!! I tell her yes, that's why they don't offer epidurals, or other interventions that can put the baby in distress. Then she insinuated that since she's been "doing this for 40 years" that I won't be able to do it without an epidural. Ok lady, women have been having babies without epi's for longer than that. Ugh, I tried to be nice to her, but she was so rude! Does she think that midwives don't know anything? I guess since they aren't trained to surgically remove babies from a woman they aren't capable of delivering a baby (said with heavy sarcasm).

Ok, I'm done. Thanks for listening to me vent!

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
:Seriously! I would have asked her to leave. Immediately. They have no right to talk to a woman in distress like that at all.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Happy to see that the baby is alright. This nurse is a real UVA. I'm in Brooklyn too, if you don't mind saying, what hospital was this? Or if you feel better about it, PM me and give me the name.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Wow! That sticks. I haven't told many people of our homebirth plans because I don't want to hear about it. I mean, do people think a) I am really dumb and haven't look at possible "issues" and what we can do about them and more so b) That I would do something I thought I would put me or my baby at risk?

Come on people!

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jannah6 View Post
Happy to see that the baby is alright. This nurse is a real UVA. I'm in Brooklyn too, if you don't mind saying, what hospital was this? Or if you feel better about it, PM me and give me the name.
I actually live in Queens, so I was at NYQH

I think baby was just sleeping and didn't want to wake up. The PA told me that next time I should bang pots and pans next to its head - I don't think I want to do that though, I'll just be more patient. And the only reason I was as nice as I was is b/c I hate the stupid monitors, I didn't want to be on them for any longer than necesary! I'm glad baby's ok, I won't be going back to that hospital again though!!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
FWIW, drinking something really cold and sweet gets mine kicking up a storm.

I can't believe that nurse. *sigh* People are just so..

If writing a letter would do anything, I'd seriously do it. And spin it in the 'i was there to be made feel better about my baby, not to be put down for my birthing choices'.

Ugh. That woman.
:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I had this kind of a thing frm a delivery nurse that was a customer at the bar I worked at..asked me who myob was thenwhen I said midwives, freaked cause she figured I was having a hb...wanted to kill her!...totally inapropriate, and people need to keep they're opinons to themselves, I maynot agree w peoples birthing choices...but its there choice!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wow, how obnoxious!!

Nurses can be real know-it-alls. I never needed an epidural and I HAD an interventive birth (pitocin and antibiotics at the hospital with someone's hand up me every hour). Just didn't feel any need for it. So she's full of it--just like my idiot nurses during my NSTs telling me that I'd "know" when I was in labor because my contractions would be "much worse" when I told them the contractions had changed into real ones (they insisted they weren't "real"). They were wrong, by the way--they felt the exact same when I was in labor (because I was in prodromal labor) for the final time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.