Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Gang,
I really need to just get this off my chest....
Everytime I go out by myself and DH watches the boy, he always makes some comment about "his free time" when I get back.

I am with my son all day and have taken care of most of the night parenting duties for the last 9 months. I have to beg and ask for the few hours of free time I get a week. I love my son, but honestly, I need a break every once in a while. My DH does not take more care of him on the weekends and only recently started spending time with DS in the mornings. My DH never deals with DS when he gets home, because I've already put him to bed!

So why do I have to negotiate my "free time" and why does hubby have to "match" this time tit for tat. Yeah, he works all day, but when he's done, he's done. He doesn't have to wake up in the middle of the night to attend to his work and he gets a break every day!!!!!

Ughhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I just got back from a party (I was gone all of 2.5 hrs and DS was already asleep) and DH was ranting about HIS free time. Give me a break!!!!!

· Registered
463 Posts
I've had to point out to my dh that I don't get to leave work the way he does at the end of the day. He had work off for the holidays and I worked harder.

Its just not obvious to him, but he's not a
about it. If I tell him I need a break, he believes me and supports me. But to be fair, child care is more work for dh... dd, 8 mo, just wants her mommy. She's not always pleasant for him.

Julie

· Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
... update....

DH and I have now "negotiated" ME times. I get 4 hrs on Saturday and he gets 4 hrs on Sunday. I just nod my head and say, "That's a great idea, honey" even though he's always gotten his free time.

My bottomline is that I'm getting some time away. (I really don't want to go away, but it is the only way DH is going to care for DS without needing "my help").

After 3 weeks of this, DH enjoys his time with DS but appreciates how intensive it is. As it is, he'll call me 15 minutes before my "time's up" to make sure I'm home on time. It will take him a while to learn that children don't always run on a schedule, but at least he's helping.

After the 1st run, he offered to help with vaccuuming and now picks up after himself. He knows now how hard it is to keep up with a young one in the house. So, all in all, things are better, woo hoo!!

· Registered
1,591 Posts
And...this is the definition of a MOM...
I totally understand you...my husband has some 'selfish' streaks too...ticks me off!
Hey...if it is any consolation...dads may be (in traditional families) the 'heads of the household,' but moms are 'the hearts of the home'

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.