Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this lingering cough all night and day and I finally decided to take some cough syrup. The last time I bought some, or so I thought, I was pregnant with ds and I made sure to get the one without alcohol. So I thought this didn't have any. Well after I took like a tablespoon sure enough it has alcohol. I don't feel comfortable knowingly drinking alcohol in pregnancy... I'm not too worried about it though because it was so little but I'm just a tad worried. So mamas, tell me I have nothing to worry about
thanks.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I have sips of wine here and there anyway as well. Wine is suggested in helping releave contractions if your having them too. I'd say as long as it worked, it's ok. I wouldn't over do it though. LOL

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a half a beer or a couple sips of wine about once a week. (not on an empty stomach, and I do happen to be 6 feet tall...). I would not be concerned at all about the alcohol in cough syrup. Being able to breathe and sleep is important for good growth of your baby, too!

·
Registered
208 Posts
There are absolutely no studies that show occasional alcohol consumption hurts babies in any way. There of course ARE studies that show that a lot of alcohol consumption does hurt babies- what we don't know is where the line is.
Most health professionals, including several high risk OB/GYNs who I work with personally, say that the equivalent to a glass of wine or a beer a week is perfectly acceptable. So a dose of cough syrup shouldn't even be on your list of things to worry about.

·
Premium Member
3,945 Posts
Oh gosh, a whole tablespoon!?!?!

You'd probably get more alcohol in grapes that have been sittin' in your fridge for a while.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosaic View Post
Oh gosh, a whole tablespoon!?!?!

You'd probably get more alcohol in grapes that have been sittin' in your fridge for a while.

hahahaha... I know I know its such a small amount but I had to vent to someone. Thanks for listening to my nonsense lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.