Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mat leave officially ends this Saturday. After that, we're officially in trouble financially, so I need a job YESTERDAY. I've been going through employment agencies, as I always have, in order to find some kind of executive support position (what I used to do between going to school and teaching).Generally, those pay rather well if you're bilingual and able to translate.

I've been looking for about 3 weeks now and have been to 8 different agencies--all of whom told me I'm a great candidate, blah blah blah, something awesome should come my way soon. That's all well and good but I've got nada so far.

Yesterday, I went to an *Actual* interview at a client's, not at an agency. The client is actually a big accounting firm, and I was lead to believe that they needed an admin assist to do some of the usual admin stuff as well as editing and revising their documents. What I didn't know what that about 75% of the job involves sitting in front of a computer nitpicking at their financial statements to find spelling, grammar, punctuation and other mistakes. :yawning: bored yet? If the interview was any indication, the job is going to be a real snooze (the interview itself lasted over 3 hours, and involved proofreading tests, a Word test, as well as a typing test in both languages and an Excel test...after 3 hours they hadn't even finished all their testing!). I've never left a job interview feeling a) so depressed, b) so exhausted.

The logistics of the job are awesome: great location, easy to get to via public transit, 10 minutes away from DD's daycare, benefits paid from day 1, a lightened summer schedule, a seemingly nice company with lots of community involvement, supposedly a great starting salary (not discussed yet)....but the job itself is not at all what I was hoping for. I need contact with people in order to be happy and this would have me cloistered away for 8 hours a day.

Seeing how scarce jobs seem to be right now, would just you take this job, despite how depressing it sounds?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfasianmomma View Post
Seeing how scarce jobs seem to be right now, would just you take this job, despite how depressing it sounds?
Yep - I'd take it, but keep looking too. I'm currently working a nursing job that isn't in the field I'd eventually like to be in; but the hours are great for my two LOs re: daycare, so I'm willing to do it for now (and give 110%) until our situation changes.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I'd say take it, too: if you are really desperate for the money, it is a job, and it sounds like it has some positive aspects. But if it really makes you miserable, do indeed look for something else. This way, you are at least financially secure while you conduct your next job search. That's just my gut feeling on this.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
I would take it. Even though it seems boring now, you won't know until you really get there. If the firm is really a big one, there may be opportunities to move up. Another thing I wouldn't look away from is that benefits start day 1.

With so many people out of work, how will you know that something will come your way in time to get your bills paid? Have they offered the position to you yet? How many people do you think interviewed? Just because you are proofreading and error checking, doesn't mean you won't see people ever.

If I were out of work and needing a job now, I would take it. As other said,you could keep looking to see if something comes up. In this financial climate, I would rather have a job that might not be my perfect fit, than no job at all hoping that I can make the next mortgage payment.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Well I suppose it is called 'work' because it is not necessarily 'fun'. If you need a job and the pay and benefits are good, I don't see why you would not take it. Just because the interview was boring does not mean it will be the worst job out there. In retrospect - most of my interviews did not end up with the job I expected. My most exciting and fun interview (I mean, if you could say it was exciting) turned into the worst job I had - if I had any idea I would not have taken that job.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'd take it, too. They say it's always easier to get a job when you have a job, too. At least even if it's boring, it sounds like a good company to work for. Could be worse - boring and a bad company.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I'd take it too. My current job is B-O-R-I-N-G but allows me to take care of my momma/wife duties during all the down time. It's a great arrangement.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.