Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Briefly, what are the chances that I may really be PG? I am 42 and did the bd the day before and the day of ovulation. Statistics on some sites say only 20% but I think that's for the general population who knows very little about conception. The details are below if you feel like reading…

I am almost 42 and have been using NFP for years with 100% success, both to conceive and avoid getting pregnant. My cycles are typically every 28 days (Saturdays). However, two months ago, my cycle was only 26 days, and it happened on a Thursday. Last month, it was also 26 days and happened on a Tuesday (March 31st). Because it has always been on the weekends, I know to abstain from about Tuesday before and a few days after.

Apparently, I told dh that my cycle was weird and that last Friday had to be the last day. Well, I forgot all about that when he crawled into bed with me Sunday night then again Monday morning (thinking back, I had ewcm forsure). Yesterday (Tuesday) I told him if he wanted to get a little, today would be the last day. That's when he remembered and reminded me!! I was thinking I would be ok thinking I wouldn't O until Saturday…. WOOPS! We both forgot. So, looks like we did the bd the day before and the day of ovulation.

Ok so my question is… I have never had any trouble getting pg the first try. I have four sons, and lost two so PG 6 times. The last baby just turned two in January, right before I turned 40. I'm guessing my chances of being PG are pretty high, but does anyone know the real likelihood?

Already having four boys, I didn't plan this of course. It will significantly change my life since I thought I was totally done and gave EVERYTHING away last spring (stupid me, I should have known lol).

Thoughts welcome

· Registered
2,073 Posts
Hi Trisha,

I have no idea the likelihood, but the 20% you posted sounds right Hey, that means an 80% you aren't pregnant. I also think about it this way that each month so many women who are actively ttc and bd every day don't end up getting pregnant, so chances are good that you won't be either.

Good luck, I hope you get the results you want

· Registered
8,855 Posts
I'm going to sound really negative, but from a scientific standpoint at 42 a large majority of the eggs are chromosomally abnormal (I've seen it reported between 93-97%). Most of the time it is difficult to conceive a viable pregnancy at that age.

· Registered
232 Posts
I believe phatchristy is right. However on the bright side a woman in my church with her second marriage had two beautiful bright sons, naturally with no help, in her late forty's and early fifty's so it is completely possible. Best of luck either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.