Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm personally convinced that eventually they will *discover* that ultrasounds aren't as harmless as they are cracked up to be and recommend them only in special circumstances. Maybe this brings us a tad bit closer:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/h...sh_1709159.htm

It also makes me think of all those ladies strapped to a monitor for their whole labors. What does that do to the fetal brain? Have there been any studies to asses neonatal alertness, breastfeeding, apgar scores etc. between monitored and unmonitored births?

So what do you ladies think? Anyone planning a UC that also plans on getting ultrasounds or using doppler? If so, why?

Laura

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sijae
So what do you ladies think? Anyone planning a UC that also plans on getting ultrasounds or using doppler? If so, why?
I like to do one U/S just for placenta placement. I have always liked just one. I don't have them tell me the sex, and I would never consider a termination. But, I just like the assurance that I am not in danger of hemoraging due to an previa.

I don't use doplers or any other devices.

I, too, believe that eventually they will find an effect of useing U/S. That is why I limit mine to 1. And also why I like UC, and why I do mostly UP.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty
I like to do one U/S just for placenta placement. I just like the assurance that I am not in danger of hemoraging due to an previa.
ITA.. having had placenta previa with my second baby (was fine as we grew bigger).

I have HBAC and would hate to have something to happen that I could have prevented or used caution to prevent... kwim?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I think its great that the dangers of ultrasounds are being tossed out there for the general public.

They are medical procedures and are not risk free, and women need to know that.

I personally think I will have UPs for any future pregnancies (as well as this one).

There are cases where the risks of an ultrasound are outweighed by the benefits- as with any medical procedure or drug.
I can come up with a few poitential scenarios where I'd seek an u/s- namely if I suspected some kind of anomaly and needed verification (depends on the specific situation as I wouldn't want a u/s for most defects...) or reassurance, or if I suspected previa/wanted confirmation that the previa had resolved itself most of the way late in pregnancy. I think another situation might be if I strongly suspected multiples, but I believe it'd become pretty obvious through other means before birth.

I think as much as UP needs to be about trusting ourselves, its not a terrible thing to take advantage of medical technology if it provides us with the confidence we need to birth free.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.