Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend who is about 20 weeks pregnant recently had an ultrasound. Her doctor is concerned that the baby is statistically small for her gestational age, but more importantly, her head is quite small. While a small head is one of the indictors of Downs syndrome, the baby shows no other signs of having Downs. Of course my friend is quite upset and is scheduled for another ultrasound in a month.

Anyone with a similar situation? Gee....and I'm annoyed at taking a 3 hour glucose test which I know I will pass. Reality check!

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
I had the opposite problem with my ds2. His ultrasound showed a large head and an abnormal HC/AC ratio (head circumference/abdominal circumference). I made the mistake of getting on the internet and researching that. Bad move. Too much information IS NOT always a good thing. I had a followup U/S two months later and all was fine. He was born at nine pounds, 22 inches and a beautiful 100% head that was perfectly normal, just large.

My neice has an unusually small head also. Very small when she was born, but it's catching up now. Sometimes those u/s cause more worry than they are worth. Hopefully she will be able to keep her worry under control until the next u/s.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts