Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm getting tomorrow my ultrasound
, I'm a first time mom, so I have no experience on this other than what I have read. Do you have any advice? Is there anything specific that I should ask, or should I let the ob (does the ob does it, or is it done by a nurse?) do whatever she knows.

I do have a VHS to record it, so I'm hopping everything will be fine.

thks

·
Registered
229 Posts
When I had my ultrasound I didn't really have to ask too many questions b/c she explained everything in specifics. For me it wasn't an ob nor a nurse..I forget what she said she's calle dbut tha's all she does is give ultrasounds all day. Even though you know it's a baby it's kind of hard to tell what/where everything is if you've never had one done before. Also my baby kept doing flips the whole time so I wasn't really sure what was what
You'll enjoy yourself and I'm sure whoever administers your ultrasound will be informative. Have fun!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hi, Cuau! Welcome to MDC. I don't really have any advice for you regarding the u/s, but I wanted to wish you good luck. My only thought is that if you are wanting to wait to find out the sex, make sure you tell the tech that early on. Really, they are just checking all the body systems and structures, making sure everything is forming like it should be. I would bring your tape since you already have it, but I've never been allowed to tape any of my ultrasounds. They do, however, give you a couple great pics afterward.

Usually the u/s tech will perform the scan, and then you have a quick follow-up with your doc afterward to discuss the results. I had my big u/s last week, but the baby was sound asleep, and they couldn't see the heart and spine well enough. Everything else they saw looked good, but I have to go back in about a month for a follow-up u/s to check the rest of the baby.

Enjoy it, it's really exciting to see your little one for the first time!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Oh, yes, one more thing. (Thanks, confusedprincess for triggering my memory!) Usually the tech is very friendly and informative, and will explain things really well as the scan goes along. Kind of like, "Here's the baby's nose, this is the chin, here's the legs", and it helps to understand what you are seeing. But if you haven't seen ultrasounds before, it can be pretty hard to make out. Maybe try looking at a few "examples" online of babies about the age of your baby. That might help to familiarize you with what you will be seeing.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have advise on bringing your dh or partner. It is a great way to see the baby he can not feel. Relax and enjoy. u/c is done solely by a doctor in one practice and by tech in other practice. I like it when the dr is doing it right away since he can say things and some techs are very reserved and just tell you 'I can not tell you, I have to talk to a doctor'. Some tech are allowed to say what they see. Again, it is all depends on the practice. Save the pictures!

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
In my 'typical' u/s (way too many of them in pg's 1 & 3, but medically called for...) the ultrasonographer would do a lot of the measurement work first, stopping to show the highlights, like heartbeat, fingers, toes, gender (if desired), etc. Once she (I've never had a male u/s tech.) was done with what had to be documented during the scan, each of them would go back and look at all the stuff that matters oh-so-much to the parents.

IME most techs love what they do and are still charmed by the magic of every single wombling. They love to share that thrill with you and try to make it as un-clinical as possible.

Have fun!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 5thAttempt
I have advise on bringing your dh or partner. It is a great way to see the baby he can not feel. Relax and enjoy. u/c is done solely by a doctor in one practice and by tech in other practice. I like it when the dr is doing it right away since he can say things and some techs are very reserved and just tell you 'I can not tell you, I have to talk to a doctor'. Some tech are allowed to say what they see. Again, it is all depends on the practice. Save the pictures!
This is good news!! I didn't know doctors did them...I have my u/s next week but with a totally different practice so hopefully the doctore will perform it. At my other practice i saw them for my first 15 weeks and I NEVER saw a doctor-only a nurse practitioner and I hated that!
:

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
The other thing to be prepared for is that in some places, the ultrasonographer is not really supposed to comment on the findings as he or she does the scan. Often they do and tell you what they are seeing as they go, but sometimes they don't. If your ultrasonographer is being quiet and it is stressing you out, just remember this pretty common policy.

When I had my scan, my girlfriend was our ultrasonographer and she really didn't feel comfortable telling me my perfectly normal results. It just wasn't something she is used to doing in her job.

They will point out to you the anatomy and tell you what it is that you are looking at. There is often a TV monitor on the wall for you to watch, the US screen will likely be turned away from you, facing the ultrasonographer.

I hope you have a great experience. It truly is an amazing thing to see your child inside your womb.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the advice, I'll look for some pic's on the web to get myself familiar. We are hoping to find the sex of the baby.

My midwife did asked me to bring a tape, so I'm assuming they'll be able to record it for me. I hope they also give me the pic's.

I'll let you know how it goes in the afternoon

·
Registered
786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Morming everyone,

I had my u/s yesterday and it was awsome, we did find out the gender of the baby it's going to be a girl. In some ways I think it was a good idea to find out the baby's sex my MIL was giving me everything blue
Now she is going to have to get some more pink.
The nurse who did my u/s was very nice and explained everything, I didn't think it was that hard to understand the screen.
My little girl was moving like crazy, I think she was dancing at some point. I didn't get too excited when I saw it first, but when I think back to it, I get this feeling, I think is sinking in finally!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.