Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading some old issues of mothering, and came across an article about the risks of ultrasounds.

after reading it, me and dh both decided the next pregnancy, we wont do an ultrasound unless medically necessary (eg bleeding etc).

I just wanted to know your veiws on it, either for or against. What other methods do you use during the pregnancy if you don't use u/s?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I did not have any u/s in my pregnancy. I did not have any doppler except in labor. We used a fetoscope. Next time around I may even further minimize the doppler in labor.

-Angela

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
was it hard for you to not know? I was ultra curious about ds's sex during my last pregnancy, but after talking to dh, we both agreed we already have a boy, we have unisex clothes etc already, so regardless of the sex, we are prepared when we have the next one.

Are there dangers from a doppler to?

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It never bothered us not to know. Other people it drove crazy
didn't bother us a speck.

Doppler uses u/s. Some say it's worse/more than just u/s.

-Angela

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do you have any links on doppler research, or is it just something you've heard or read before? I don't mean that in a negative way, just curious to read it myself and learn more.

I can see how it would be annoying to other people, even at 12wks, i had people asking us if it was a boy or girl......and I was like...uhh they dont do the ultrasound until 16wks. and then of course later in the pregnancy looking at my belly and going "its a boy/girl because your carrying high/low"

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
I don't have links at my fingertips. I last did the research around a year ago and a lot of my links are dead. Sorry. A search here at MDC (yea! search is back!) might turn up some links.

-Angela

·
Registered
797 Posts
For my first I had ultrasound on the regular schedule. Began with MD switched to CNM. Had biophysical profiles at the end.

With #2 I had doppler use during pg. No time during birth.

With #3 I had no doppler use at all. I had read, can't remember where, that the doppler was stronger ultrasound than the ultrasound machine. My CPM used her fetoscope the entire pg. She did not really hear the baby until I was 20wks. I, with the untrained ear, could not hear it the entire pg

It was our choice to go without. Ultrasound it an intervention if not medically indicated. Some babies don't like it, move away.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ds always moved or tryed to move away from the u/s's, he moved from the doppler to.

unfortunatly because of the hospital nature of my birth (and the fact it was an induction) i was on a EFM the WHOLE 23hrs i was in labor.

I had heard stuff during my pregnancy about u/s's but never researched it past the fda warnings about the keepsake ones.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/...ml#USResources

Check out the link above for lots of info, includuing on dopplers.

And, yes, dopplers are a stronger form of ultrasound than imaging (real time) ultrasound. "One minute of doppler exposure is equal to 35 minutes of real time ultrasound." (quote from the above link).

I always think it is interesting when people are dead-set agianst an ultrasound prenatally due to safety concerns but then freely use the doppler. I think that many people (including some nurses I have heard!) believe that a doppler is just like an amplifier.

With my son I choose to not have an ultrasound, and we didn't use a doppler during his birth as it was an unassisted birth anyways! Personally, I think that it is really up to the parents, but they should have full informed choice about ultrasound and dopplers before making their decision.

Oh, and I thought it was kinda exciting not knowing the sex of my baby! Sure, we had a lot of unisex clothes ready, but also some blues and purples, etc. because I don't mind a baby wearing all colors of the rainbow!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, i didnt know it was that strong! I myself thought it was just like an amplefied mic or something like that.

I know my own limits and know i could never to UC......I would have to have a midwife to help. *off to research the link*

·
Registered
540 Posts
With my twin ds, they had TTTS, and I had two u/s every freakin' week -- in retrospect I'm surprised they didn't come out with like 7 testicles each or something.

With my dd I had just the gender u/s -- I admire those who are patient. I'm NOT!
However, I did have a lot of dopplers, and now I'm thinking that for the next preg (in the WAY future) I'll have just a fetoscope. And the gender u/s
:

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
I had an ultrasound at 4 mos after i was experiencing pains, but except for that and the inital check up when the dr told me i was pg we didnt see a doctor or have any check ups the whole pg, and it was an unassisted home birth. I really didnt want to know the gender, so I asked the gynie not to tell when we did the u/s.
I'm a bit anti-technology, but I think it can be a good tool to do one u/s at an appropriate time just to be certain that everything is all healthy, IF the mother would terminate if everything isn't all good. Other than that, I dont think its necessary. and in the end, its up to the parents.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thats part of what i read in an old issue of mothering.........that some mothers have terminated because the u/s suggested there was a problem, and once it was terminated, it was found the baby was healthy!

the issue i was reading was.....sep/oct 2000

·
Registered
16,500 Posts
Yup, and it also happens the other way - the ultrasound says everything is "fine" and "normal", but the baby has a defect of some sort, and the parents, not prepared for it because they felt promised a "perfect" baby, are devastated.

·
Registered
9,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
definatly......its also the let down when the u/s tells you your having a boy/girl and it comes out the opposite.......you've planned on one, you've got all the stuff etc, people forget they arn't guarenteed. Even though we had quite clearly seen ds's penis in the u/s we did, we still got unisex clothes, (got blue as well but i dont care if my girls in blue), and told people they are pretty sure its a boy, but we wont know until its born.

I am definatly considering just dopplers when needed (being that im a bigger woman, i will probably need them in the early pregnancy to confirm the heartbeat), and u/s when medically necessary, eg emergencys.

·
Registered
11,188 Posts
I could do without any. I don't do doppler at all. That said, I've had U/S with each of my pregnancies. I haven't really cared about the sex of the baby but those around me went crazy mad not konwing this last time. I liked not konwing the sex... DH and g'ma did not though!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by romans_mum
I am definatly considering just dopplers when needed (being that im a bigger woman, i will probably need them in the early pregnancy to confirm the heartbeat), and u/s when medically necessary, eg emergencys.
Why do you NEED to confirm the heartbeat in early pregnancy?

-Angela

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
It's a matter of mentality IMO. You manage those first weeks when a doppler can't find them, what's a few more?

-Angela

·
Registered
16,116 Posts
Actually, Ultrasound can be a pretty inaccurate tool, and a large number of u/s tecnicians aren't fully trained - many defects that could be detected by a highly trained eye pass by the gaze of many technicians.
there are large numbers of babies born iatrogenically premature, which means prematurity as a fault of the doctor, usually after a cesearian was planned according to a mis-predicted due date calculated by an innacurate U/S, or when a mother goes "past" the inaccurately predicted due date and is then induced

1 - 20 of 23 Posts