Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original due date was August 4th. Then I went for an ultrasound, which put the date at July 12. Well, two weeks later, and I am still pregnant!

I should have ignored the ultrasound and just went with my intuition and my own feelings! The whole waiting for an event that the date has already passed for is so irritating.

Just a rant to mamas who get it

On a positive note, STBX is behaving and being nice to me. I don't care how he really feels, but I could use some curtesy - which I am getting.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
So when was your u/s done? I had one at 7 weeks, and it was only 2 days off my predicted O-based date (since I chart). It was useful in my case because my LMP-based date would have been a week earlier.

I had another u/s at 20 weeks, and it said 22 weeks. My boy is just a tad on the big side (likely will be 9 lbs, so not really "big", but above average
). My previous baby also measured ahead later on, just because he was big for his age.

So I absolutely don't trust u/s dating past 10 weeks or so. Earlier than that, they can be quite accurate, although they can also be quite off still! Combining the results with LMP, O-date (if known), and conception date is always a good idea. Of course, most OBs want to either use LMP or u/s only.

I'm sorry your dates are messing with ya!!!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Yeah, that happened to me with ds, though they only moved the date back one week. Still, I was even more anxious for it all to be over and so I ended up with far more interventions in labor and delivery than I probably would have had had I waited to go into labor on my own. This time, I did a fertility chart so I could prove exactly when I ovulated. The ultrasound gave a date a week earlier again, but my OB is happy to go with my ovulation date rather than the ultrasound, thank goodness.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have an ultrasound until either 23 (my calculation) or 27 weeks (the US calculation). I was measuring 29 cm at 23 weeks and could feel kicking all over the place. My MW was thinking it may be twins, and she can't deliver twins at home, which is why I had to get the US.

Perhaps the baby was just really big!

I don't think I will get any interventions, even though I could be really late, even if the US is right, and I am wrong. I might get another one next week just to make sure everything in there is ok. Or I might just wait!
:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I'm positive on dates (O confirmed with thermal shift) and verified by u/s at 8w and 20w. "Due Date" was 7/17 and I'm still pg, too.

Sorry you're still waiting, but you've got company.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rebeccamaryll
I didn't have an ultrasound until either 23 (my calculation) or 27 weeks (the US calculation).
Oh yeah, I wouldn't trust that dating AT ALL.
They're estimating the baby's weight, and getting a projected date off that. So when my DS was 29 weeks and weighed 3 lbs 10 oz on u/s, that put him at 31 weeks gestational age based on weight. He really was 29 weeks though. He was born four days later, and weighed 3 lbs 13 oz, so the u/s got the weight right. It's just the age was off because he wasn't "average" size for his gestation (developmentally, he was a 29 weeker). He was bigger. But looking at growth charts, he would have only been about 8.5 lbs at 40 weeks if he'd stayed on the same growth curve. So measuring 2 weeks ahead at that point, he really wasn't going to be that big really.

I'd stick with your own calculation if it's based on charting or conception date.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boscopup
Oh yeah, I wouldn't trust that dating AT ALL.
They're estimating the baby's weight, and getting a projected date off that. So when my DS was 29 weeks and weighed 3 lbs 10 oz on u/s, that put him at 31 weeks gestational age based on weight. He really was 29 weeks though. He was born four days later, and weighed 3 lbs 13 oz, so the u/s got the weight right. It's just the age was off because he wasn't "average" size for his gestation (developmentally, he was a 29 weeker). He was bigger. But looking at growth charts, he would have only been about 8.5 lbs at 40 weeks if he'd stayed on the same growth curve. So measuring 2 weeks ahead at that point, he really wasn't going to be that big really.

I'd stick with your own calculation if it's based on charting or conception date.
Thats exactly what happened to me twice. They weren't born early though. In 2 pgs I had u/s cause I was measuring really big and they gave me dates which were totally off. They were 9 lbs when they were born so bigger than "avg" I guess which is what threw it off. Drs think that all babies follow the same growth pattern till they are full term and then they start to vary in weight and length (how stupid does that sound?). So every baby will weigh x at x date but some babies will put on 3 lbs at 36 weeks
: I don't think so.

Sorry you are dealing with this. When did you get a + pg test? When did you start feeling movement? When did you hear the baby with a doppler/fetascope? I wouldn't use just 1 method of determining dates. 4 weeks is a huge window. Also u/s at 23 weeks can be off by 2 weeks in either direction.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I saw my MW yesterday. We decided the u/s date was wrong. I am measuring the same as when my first was 38-39 weeks, the heart beat is the same, and I feel more confident in my own calculation than in technology.

And, neither H or I can remember having sex in October
but I know we did in November!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I work in radiology and with Ultrasound. An ultrasound is more reliable in the
1st trimester b/c most babies are the same size, usaully dates are +/- 2days. As baby grows bigger (and all babies are not created equal) it is hard to tell the exact due date, usually +/- 2 weeks from the ultrasound EDD. We always go by the 1st trimester date and LMP. Hope this helps. Sorry you are having a hard time waiting, but isn't he worth waiting for?!! Good luck with the delivery hope it goes well!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts