Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are buying land and would like to "do" everything we can on our own ~ both for cost reasons and just to really be involved in how everything works.

We've heard of people "digging" their own well. I'm confused; how do we learn to do this? Is it just a hole in the ground? How do we find out how deep it needs to be? How does it fill with water? How do we keep the water from becoming contaminated?

I KNOW, I KNOW ~ we are such city-folk
~ but we really do have the determination to see this through!!!! We just need some direction aquiring good/accurate information.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Our house has 2 old artisian wells and the house I grew up in had on, the biggest problem of dug wells is they can go dry very easily in dry summers. I remember growing up we had a 3 minute shower rule!! (The fire department came one summer and filled it up it got so low once!)

We have a drilled well now and it is fed by a natural spring and the water is yummy and doesnt run out! I think ours is 375' deep, my parents just drilled a new well and only had to go to 250' to get a good gal/minute ratio.

We are going to attach a hand pump to one of the old wells so we can use it when we lose power (Well pump runs on electricity) or to water the garden, etc.

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
I understand you want to go the do-it-yourself route, but, IMO, I wouldn't do it with a well. I would think it'd be pretty frustrating to go through all that work and then end up still having to have someone drill a well. Ours is on 75' deep, but we're in a low area.

·
Registered
755 Posts
If there is a good dowser in the area, I'd recommend you hire him/her. He/she should be able to find the best place to drill, and tell you how far down you need to drill. The dowser we hired was a talker and we were able to get alot of information from him about local well drilling conditions.
A realtor who knows the area and sells raw land should be able to tell you a good dowser - or those who drill the wells would know too.

·
Registered
13,099 Posts
I soo second the suggestion of getting a dowser. Will save time $$ and frusteration.

We have 5 wells on our property, 2 of them hand dug. one of them is anout 30 feet and the other is 60+ deep. Beautifuly lined. The guy used dinamite to dig the holes

Of all those wells the only reliable one is the newest one which goes down some 300 ft and gets over 40+ gallons a minute.

If the water level is close to the surface you can dig your own well. Though IMO I would have it drilled to get down into more pure water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts