Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/....ap/index.html

Quote:
Republican leaders are willing to allow the first minimum wage increase in a decade but only if it's coupled with a cut in future inheritance taxes on multimillion-dollar estates, congressional aides said Friday.
Are people who make minimum wage really in danger of being killed by taxes on their big time multi-million dollar inheritances? Or is it that the GOP would insult those who work their fingers to the bone in order to put a roof over their families head, by saying to them "Well if were going to allow you to earn enough to buy food as well, we should get a break on those big inheritances we get just for being born rich."

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I love it!! I can see a fabulous split screen commercial now:
on one side we have a waitress, working for $2whatever an hour, reading the paper in the break room, sees that she's gonna get an extra few cents an hour, great. NO she's looking thru her bills at home & gets a mailer from her Rep. congressmam boasting about the min wage law he passed. Then on the other side of the screen we see a Paris Hilton-esque party with said congressman laughing & schmoozing, yucking it up about how the estate tax has been repealed. Nice juxtopisition, don't you think?
They are just setting themselves up, I hope the landslide is so huge that all the vote tampering in the world can't stop it.
There will call it a DemTsnami!
~Maria

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/07/....ap/index.html

Quote:
"This is the best shot we've got; we're going to take it," said House Majority Leader John Boehner, a Republican. The unusual packaging also soothed conservatives angry about raising the minimum wage over opposition by Republican business allies.
They know it's blackmail. They admit to it. They are putting Democrats in the position of either voting AGAINST a min. wage law, or approving massive tax cuts to the wealthy.

This undercuts why I will Never vote republican. They consitantly prove that they are not looking after the interests of their consituants. They are looking after themselves and big money.

·
Registered
12,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess it's going through this way.

<sigh> I'm happy for the minimum wage increase, but so bummed about the way it was done.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skybluepink02
They consitantly prove that they are not looking after the interests of their consituants. They are looking after themselves and big money.
Agreed. The greed will never fail to amaze me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts