Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did your DC's umbilical stump fall off?

DD's fell off yesterday, 4 days old. That just seems to be a bit early to me, DS' didn't fall off until he was 7-8 days old. I wasn't doing anything to the cord stump (no alcohol or anything, seemed best to just keep it dry and leave it alone like I did with DS) and her bellybutton looks fine.

Just wondering!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
We're on day 8 and DD's is still attached, albeit looking pretty dry and ready. I can't wait until it's gone... diapers get in the way and DD1 keeps asking me why there is poop on her sister's stomach.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
9 days here and its hanging by a little tiny corner. I kind of want to take it off but I'm going to let nature do its thing. His button is so cute! I can't wait to be able to use some different diapers that aren't so low rise!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
DS's took over two weeks to fall off, but I think that's thanks to the shape. (It was kind of "held in" by the shape of his belly button.)

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
Ds4's fell off at 8 days, but ds3's fell off at 4 days. It makes diapering so much easier.

As for the clip, they always took it off after about 24 to 36 hours in the hospital.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
DD3 still has it at 12 days old. I can't wait for it to fall off.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yin Yang
can I take the clip off, do you know? my little guy likes to sleep on his tummy and it keeps rubbing against the skin.
My ds had that clip on too. Well, it could be a different one. His was white/kinda long. Anyways, my mw explained it to me and basically you just stick a needle in the end of it and it's supposed to pop right off but I didn't have a needle or anything so I just let it fall off w/ the cord. You should ask your mw or doc though cause it could be something different.

And to reply to the op. My ds's cord fell off @ 10 days old. As long as it doesn't look all infected or anything and you continue to put cord care on it..it should be fine.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jish
As for the clip, they always took it off after about 24 to 36 hours in the hospital.
Yes, you can either use a pin or scissors (carefully

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I had someone take it off on day two, (the clamp) and it fell off after 3.5 days! Suuuper fast. It still bulges out when she cries or strains to poop and alarms me but overall I think it's in good shape.

I used an herbal curative spray on it and it just dried everything right up. HATED THAT CLAMP,was so glad to get it gone! Whose stupid idea was that huge clamp???

dd1 had hers tied with something resembling shoelace ribbon.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quagmire
P.U. what a stink!
No kidding! DS's fell off on day 5, but it sure did stink ... I can't imagine it being on for much longer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts