Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have noticed that Prowraps have an umbillical cut out in their newborn diaper covers... but I haven't seen any other diaper covers that make mention of this. Do they all have it? What if I use a Bummis or a Bumkins and it doesn't have a cut out?

How do you keep the belly button dry without a cut - out?

(Sorry, I am new to parenting AND cloth diapering... a truly deadly mix...
)

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
As long as the diaper can be put on below the belly button (you can fold a prefold low in front for instance) then the cover shouldn't be an issue unless it rubs right on the spot. Most covers either can go below or go above it enough to not bother it. The cover can be over the belly button, but you don't want anything that absorbs urine touching the belly button, kwim?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
My dd's cord stump held on for a month, :LOL I thought she'd go to the prom with that thing,
: (that's not usual, on average it fall of between 5 days-3 weeks).

Anyway, we used prowraps, NB Nikki covers, NB Bummis covers & had no problem. The cord has no nerve endings, so it won't 'hurt' the baby to have the diaper touching the cord. You just want to keep it dry so it will fall off. You could fold the actual diaper down, so the pee doesn't get that far up, or fold the cover in a bit.

HTH

Amy

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
no nerve endings... ahhhh. good to know, Amy! But I still would have been worried that something rubbing the scab a lot might cause it to rip off before it's ready. ICK ICK!
Wouldn't want blood on baby's clothes or covers. that probably wouldn't happen unless it was getting close to coming off anyway, though, huh?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.