Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Banned
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know alot of you ladies are vegitarian...

but, I need help with meat. Cow to be exact.

Ok, Here in BC, Montreal style smoked meat is well....a rarity and..what you get isn't very good. My poor Quebequoise tastebuds..*sigh* anyway, I figured, I could pick up a beef brisket and make my own. I have a charcoal/kettle BBQ I could convert into a smoker without a hitch. Just close all the vents and whatnot.

I need to know....

A: What kind of Wood to use

B: What to use to cure it (Smoked meat is really salty FTR)
B1: Is it a Hot smoke or a Cold smoke process...
C: I know the spice blend I own it, so that's not a big deal

D: What the process is of Curing a beef brisket then smoking it.

E: How LONG to smoke it.

TIA!!! If you can't help that's ok. But if you CAN help...that would be perfect.

· Banned
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>.> See, a part of this is to start up my own little WAHM business....

There are ALOT of transplanted Quebequois out here...If I could get a decent methodology on how to make smoked meat, Cretons, and the like...I could just sell it to the French Community (through DH since he works at the squadron) and everyone would be happy....

· Registered
2,630 Posts
I can get a good Creton recipe from my mother in law. She gave me one once but I hate the stuff so I tossed it. Just kidding. I looked in my recipe cabinet and apparently I did save it. Here you go:

1 lb ground pork
1 small onion
bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
Thyme
Sage
Celery Salt
Salt and Pepper

I mixed the pork, onion, milk and water together and then added the bread crumbs until it wasn't watery anymore. The spices were just kind of thrown in there until it smelled right.

As far as the smoked meat, I ain't got a clue.

· Banned
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjkmaurice
I can get a good Creton recipe from my mother in law. She gave me one once but I hate the stuff so I tossed it. Just kidding. I looked in my recipe cabinet and apparently I did save it. Here you go:

1 lb ground pork
1 small onion
bread crumbs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
Thyme
Sage
Celery Salt
Salt and Pepper

I mixed the pork, onion, milk and water together and then added the bread crumbs until it wasn't watery anymore. The spices were just kind of thrown in there until it smelled right.

As far as the smoked meat, I ain't got a clue.
I have a great Cretons recipe from my hubby's grandma

And it makes ALOT!!!

1 Butt
1 Shoulder cubed (including fat/skin)
boiled for 2hrs
grind meat back into juice with 1 large yellow onion
Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg
mix and if too watery add breadcrumbs.

When I say it makes ALOT it makes ALOT. Perfect for selling

And I acctually figured out the smoked meat! (from someone who's grandfather was in the business...handed the recipe down to him, and he took pity on me)

1 Beef brisket
then, soak in a light salt solution (not enough to brine the meat, like about 1tbsp Kosher salt to 1 Litre of water, along with Montreal Steak Spice, same amt 1tbsp spice 1l water) Over night, or even a couple of nights would be good

Then, take brisket out of the solution, and pat dry with a towel. Take montreal steak spice and liberally sprinkle on the outside of the meat Give a nice gentle rub.

Put in Smoker for 6-8 hours, Oak wood chips are for the best flavour. (Mesquite, Maple and Hickory add too much of a off flavour for the meat)

VOILA!!!

· Registered
12,879 Posts
My parents always use apple wood for smoking.

They didn't use salt, its just as the meat dried it becomes concentrate thus salty.

They use an old fridge that was all metal inside then had the burner some ways away with a pipe so the smoke would leave the burner and go into the smoker. The distance was so the smoke would be cool and not cook the meat.

We had all sorts of wonderful smoked meat. nothing like bacon, pork roast, fish ect
:

Happy smoking
: I envy your neighbors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.