Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cosleep with my 7 month old dd. Sometimes in the mornings when my 3 1/2 yo dd wakes up, dd2 stays asleep on the bed. Then when she wakes up, dd1 wants to go in & say hi to her and I let her. She's done this lots of times unsupervised (for a few minutes - I listen with the monitor). Anyway, last night dd2 was barely able to breath b/c of a stuffy nose. I ended up getting up around 4am and giving her some infant cold medicine and applying some of that Johnson's baby vapor cream to her chest. I left this on the window sill above my nightstand. So this morning rolls around, dd1 wakes me up and I leave dd2 in bed. When she did wake up I was on the computer and dd1 wanted to go say good morning. I told her she could and listened to them chatting on the monitor. Suddenly I notice how quite it is in there - very unusual. I go to check and there's dd1 holding the now-open tube of vapor cream. It's ALL OVER the bed around the baby. She's got it on her head and a bunch in one of her hands. My older dd has it on her hands too, but she knows not to put something like that in her mouth (at least, she wouldn't continue to if it tasted bad, which I'm sure it does). I asked her if the baby put the cream in her mouth and she said she did. My older dd has some comprehension delays though so I can't know if this is true or not. Her mouth did not seem to smell menthol-y to me. She also had the bottle of tylenol lying on the bed. It does have a child proof cap, but she opened it once before on her own (fortunately there wasn't more than a dose left in it) and drank it! So I'm just kinda freaked out now and feeling like the worse mother on earth. I knew the baby couldn't reach any of that and it just didn't occur to me that in the morning there might be an instance where dd1 would get into it and put it on the baby! Yikes! Just had to share my story.

·
Registered
11,719 Posts
I caught a little kid I babysat for when I was a teen eating Vick's VapoRub with a spoon. YUCK! I know a friend of mine said her grandma gave them a SPOONFUL to eat everytime they were sick. The most it did was give them diarrhea.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
you're a perfectly fine mother! i almost dropped my 3wo yesterday, so *I* am the world's worst mom!
a friend of mine said when her first two were 2yo and 3mo or so she looked in the cradle and screamed- the baby had no face! on closer exam it was revealed dd#1 had put a thick layer of yogurt all over baby's face.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mamapenelope
You know the song in Nemo where they say, "Just keep swimming,just keep swimming?" Replace "swimming" with "talking" and you have the gist of parenting a 3yo. Just keep talking, just keep talking, what do we do? We're talking, talking.
: That's so funny that you said that because that just happens to be my very favorite part of that movie! It always cracks me up.

I'm trying to give myself a break on this. I mean, even though I'm not a first time mom and learning all the baby proof stuff for the first time, I am a first time mom of 2.
So I guess there's still a lot that I have to figure out, like how to babyproof my 3 1/2 yo from injuring my 7 mo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts