Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband asked me this when we were talking last night about the (hopefully) not-to-distant-future babe. His exact words were "Which of the ways to feed babies is better? You know, the one people say you should do."
:

I said "BF is better, so that's what we're going to do"

DH "Ok, then, as long as you know what's better"

DH "How long do babies do that?"

Me "two years or more"

DH "Oh, ok then"

Honestly, I could tell him anything and he wouldn't question it.
He's never been around babies because he's a child of only children, and can't remember when his brothers were babies and never had any cousins to watch.

He also never batted an eye when I said that we're going to have to get a sling for him. He said

"yeah, babies are supposed to be held most of the time, right?"

Gotta say, that man has good instincts for someone who knows nothing about babies.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
He may know nothing about babies, yet he already seems to know a lot more than some of the so-called experts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It doesn't hurt that I'm screening the resources he reads before he gets them. Dr Sears, and "So that's what they're for" are what he's reading now.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I think since he HASN'T been around babies and all the bullcrap advice, his instincts are probably still intact. No one has filled his head yet with all the stupidness
Good for your DH
:

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, it helps that he has great parents. They were only children, so they didn't have a whole lot of experiance either. They didn't circumcize him, because they didn't know a lot about it and figured that the default was to not cut. His mom breastfed him because in her words "there was milk coming out, so I figured it must be there for a reason". People do well as parents if they just do what comes naturally.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Sounds alot like my dh, except he was circum
and formula fed

But anything I say when it comes to parenting he agrees
He knows I am passionate about every choice I make.

We never have to agrue about it!!

eta:and he only has one younger brother and I have 7 younger bros and sis so I'm sure he feels I have more "experience" Plus I am the oldest

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, DH's like this too. He know that I am fully researching all decision, and feels like if I have put that much effort into researching a topic, he shouldn't argue until he does as much research.

So far, he hasn't disagreed enough to do research in the other direction. He just reads the information I print off for him. He says it all makes sense, so why argue about it?

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
My DH hasn't bothered to learn much about anything baby-related. He trusts my decisions. The only things he's commented on were extended bf ("sounds weird, but I'll get used to it") and circ ("well if it's a boy I want him to look like me") but luckily it's a girl, and before we found out I got him to agree on not circing if it was a boy (he didn't have any real reasons that I couldn't easily refute, he was just one of the masses who thought circ was "what you do to boys")

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by skybluepink02
"there was milk coming out, so I figured it must be there for a reason".
If only everyone were so clearly logical.

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
That's wonderful for you. A lot of mamas don't have supportive husbands and it definitely puts a strain on the relationship. Your DH sounds like he's gonna be a great daddy!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoNatalee
Sounds alot like my dh, except he was circum
and formula fed

But anything I say when it comes to parenting he agrees
He knows I am passionate about every choice I make.

We never have to agrue about it!!

eta:and he only has one younger brother and I have 7 younger bros and sis so I'm sure he feels I have more "experience" Plus I am the oldest

Wow! We have a lot in common. DH also agrees with me on most everything I say.. except about CLW.. for some reason he is afraid that she is going to be "weird" if we breastfeed for over 3 years. Still, 3 years is a good long stretch! He is also has no experience with children, and I am the 3rd of 7 children, along with neices, nephews, and cousins galore. DD was the first baby he has ever held!

But, I am very proud of him because he really does have great instincts with her. One afternoon I was frantically getting ready for something as he was holding her. She was really tired but wouldnt sleep and wouldnt nurse. He had her bouncing on her knee and then he started to (out of nowhere) start buzzing in her ear. She went completely silent.... then started to noze off. When he ran out of breath she woke up and instantly started crying again, so he did it again. And it worked again! I stopped what I was doing, got him a burp towel, put it on his shoulder so he could put her on his shoulder. He started buzzing again and she was out for a good 2 hours! WOW! Way to go with your instincts daddy.

·
Registered
10,400 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wannabe
If only everyone were so clearly logical.
I was just thinking something very similar! If only everyone's thought process involved the realization of something so obvious!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
My dh has been pretty easy going too except he had to be convinced of homebirth (and is now an advocate) and still isn't convinced about no circ.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
That's funny! My dh tends to be more opinionated than I am about child raising practices, so I usually have to arm myself before going in with an argument for or against something that he has already formed his own opinion about. Fortunately, whether or not to breastfeed was never one of those issues on which we disagreed.
:

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I feel kind of bad for my uncle, because he really wanted his wife to bf because he knew how beneficial it was, but she just didn't want to (yup, one of those) so their kids were all ff.

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych
I feel kind of bad for my uncle, because he really wanted his wife to bf because he knew how beneficial it was, but she just didn't want to (yup, one of those) so their kids were all ff.

My pastor (pro-bf) had a similar situation... his DIL "tried" (I get the sense she didn't really want to) and switched to formula.... which the baby promptly started projectile vomiting. Poor baby.

And out there is some woman who needs a supportive dh and FIL!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts