Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What ways have worked for you to get your little ones to quiet biting. DD is 7 1/2 months with 2 teeth and just today decided to started chompin down ..... OOOWWWWW... Anyway - any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Oh boy, was this a huge problem with my second child. To this day he will still come up and bite my leg (and he is almost 20 months!!)

I always made sure I said "Ouch!" and immediately pried him off with my fingers. Didn't move fast enough once and he drew blood! Eventually I just kept a finger in the corner of his mouth as a safety. Most times he did remember that biting would mean the milk would go away, but every now and then, he still would give a nip. Most times this was when he was actually teething and just needed something to chew on. This was when we broke out the cold washcloth or the teething ring.

I have also heard that pulling the baby close to the breast works. The baby will let go just to be able to breathe better. I personally never tried this, however.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I learned during that phase to keep my free hand near ds's mouth when he was likely to bite (I realized it was usually toward the end of a nursing session) and when I felt his latch change it meant he was about to chomp down so I'd slip my finger in and unlatch him. If he did bite then, my finger was in the way and it wouldn't hurt. The times he caught me off guard and did get a good bite of me, I unlatched him, told him gently but firmly no biting and put him down for a minute. (One minute is forever at that age...) I'd let him try again if he wanted but each time he bit me he got put down.

Between the finger guard and putting him down if he bit, he got the message and quit biting after a few weeks.

Of course then as a toddler he found it funny for a while to do it again and we had to renegotiate the whole thing, lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree with the above. Keeping a finger close by for safety is good. Pulling baby close for just a moment so they let go works well. And they generally get the message if you tell them "no biting" and put them down after they do it. Good luck!!

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
DD has been biting as she latches and it hurts so bad! If she keeps it up, we just end the session. Otherwise, I just grin and deal with it.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Any strong reaction from me (like saying, "OUCH!") backfired - it made DS laugh and caused a nursing strike with DD. What worked for me is that if they bit, to gently delatch and saying quietly, "No biting, that hurts mama." and ending the nursing session. Then, after 10 minutes or so, to try again. If they bit, to end (not angrily or anything, just very matter-of-fact) and wait a bit and try again. For us, it seemed like when both kids were hungry, and more interested in nursing than experimenting, they nursed. I always found that they were more likely to bite if I tried to nurse when they weren't too hungry...

Good luck!! (((hugs))))

1 - 10 of 10 Posts