Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel really embarassed by noticing this, and even bringing this up, but I've been thinking about it lately.

My son's is the only uncirc'ed penis I've ever seen. All these other little boys seem to have REALLY small penis'. Like, the size of a fingertip. My son's, at 1 ½, is almost as big as my entire pinky finger (when soft).

Is it normal to be that much bigger than the circumcised counterparts? Are all these other little boys experiencing the hidden shaft thing? Is my son just especially blessed? :LOL

I don't want you to think that I'm going around comparing my son's penis size to all these little boys... I used to work in a daycare, and I used to do childcare out of my own home, also watching friends' little boys... well, changing a diaper you're bound to notice, and it's REALLY noticeable with my son, and it wasn't with these other little boys.

My friend who had never seen an uncirc'ed penis before nearly did a double take when she saw how big my son's penis is. Even seeing where the head is under the foreskin, his penis is much bigger than his peers'.

I don't want to be considered a freak for noticing this, but I can't really discuss it with anybody IRL. It's not something you discuss, ykwim?

I've heard that 1/3 of the penis is cut off during a circumcision... but he seems to be more than 1/3 bigger. More like 2/3-3/4 bigger.

Okay, now I'll

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
our ds seem the same way !
dh & i were a tad surprised also.
he has a boy from a prior marriage that was circ'd & he said his other ds was about 1/2 of what our ds has there.
i've watched enuf kids that were circ'd & noticed the same thing as you.
i have no med facts about this subject but am curious to know.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My ds (5) is intact, but his penis is much smaller than the kids in his swimming class - both circ'ed and intact. I think there is just a fairly large range of "normal"!

I read something Frank wrote a couple months ago that some penises are quite small when flaccid, but, uh, redeem themselves when they're erect. So I'm hoping that will be the case for my son.
I know, weird to talk about...

Becca

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I was just thinking yesterday about some of my first thoughts in reaction to DS's circumcision. That was one thing that really shocked me! After the circ was done, it was as though his poor little penis had practically disappeared!
It seemed to be about 1/3 or 1/4 the previous size.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
OMG I've noticed this too with my ds! I've never talked about it with anyone before - just didn't want to sound like I was a freak and/or bragging. Even the nurse at the pedi's office commented on how large my ds's penis is. I guess she just isn't used to seeing them intact. I'm still a little weirded out by that comment though.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Well, at least I don't have to feel like the 'Lone Ranger' any more!
With my ds and nephew, comparison is - unfortunately - constant in their lives, they're just 3 months apart... but while nephew seems bigger around, ds is definitely longer. My mom is probably the only family member who changes them both routinely though, and she hasn't commented. I haven' seen nephew naked for months, so who knows what it's like now. But he's a super-chunk, and ds is trim and muscular, so I think that might have something to do with it, too.

Lizzie

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
That's not weird. How could you not notice? I haven't seen a circed penis (child's) for so long, I think I'd be shocked! I've heard they look like tiny little buttons when you're accustomed to the normal penis. Of course a substantial amount of the circed boy's penis' have been cut off. So they have less than they're supposed to. Your son's got everything God and Mother Nature gave him - and it shows!

·
Registered
12,213 Posts
One of my dh's friend's girl friends has on more than one occassion commented on the size of my ds's penis (he is a nudest :LOL). She asked me if it was so big (
) because he was intact, I said that and probably genetics (she was very umm interested in the genetics part, quit thinking about my dh girl). Of course she still thinks she'll circ if she has a son one day. This after all I have told her, oh well.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Between my three intact sons there is definitely size variation (beyond age), so I second the opinion that there is a wide range of normal sizes. That said, my oldest son got at least three comments (that I remember) on his size when he was in diapers in preschool. My stepson is circed and definitely looks smaller, but maybe it is more genetics since his half brother seems smaller than my older intact boys. (Did those relationships make sense?) You'd think that in a culture so obsessed with size, people would want to keep all they've got!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say that it is not unusual as a mom to notice this. I have heard comments, some funny, some rude when changing my boys, esp when my oldest was younger since he was a premee born with a defect called cryptorchidism that caused the area around his scrotum and penis to be very tight and small. I heard comments from relatives, including my MIL comparing his size to his intact older boy cousins when they would be changing or swimming, etc..I have heard stories from my SIL who works for a day care centre says that she cant help but notice this sometimes. Some of the intact ones just seem to look larger and well, more natural.

Deb

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
hmm, well my first reaction *would* be to agree with you 100%, if i were only basing it on my son vs. all the circ'd boys i've seen.

*however*... i've seen 2 other intact baby penises (my sister's boys) and they're *much* smaller than my son's. i think it's like everything else ~ kids are different no matter what. (i'm just happy my sister decided not to circ ~ there wouldn't be anything left on those poor boys :LOL)...

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by klothos
(i'm just happy my sister decided not to circ ~ there wouldn't be anything left on those poor boys
You know, my friend who I begged not to circ did and her son had an inverted penis afterwards! I'm also glad your sister didn't circ!

·
Registered
627 Posts
I really don't think it has anything to do with intact / circumsized.

My ds is intact and I babysit so I change a lot of diapers. DS is definitely among the smaller!

(DS, please forgive me for posting this!)

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
I remember when my ds was about 3 months old. We had houseguests (A family of three) living with us. I was changing ds's diaper (he is circ'd, but none of my future children will be) and the guy looks over at my ds's penis (which was erect, probably because he had to pee, which he did, all over me!) and then looks at my dh and says "Wow, you have alot to be proud of in that boy" My dh just grinned, but I was highly offended (as if I wouldn't be proud of my son regardless of his penis size). Why are men so damn concerned with size??? It makes no sense to me and I would love to be able to keep my son out of that type of social expectations. Probably not likely though.

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
My grandpa (not all up there on social skills because of age) made a comment that my son was built like a horse at three months. There was times, like you, I woundered. But as he has grown I don't think his penis has muchl, at least not proportionately.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marsupialmom
My grandpa (not all up there on social skills because of age)
One of the good things about getting old is you can say outrageous things and get away with it because people think it is because of age. :LOL :LOL :LOL

Frank

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.