Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did I say it was all right? No. You did. So you must believe it is.

Am surprised. Didn't think you were so callous.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Quote:
"What I can tell you is this," he wrote in an e-mail to CTV dated July 18. "We have on a daily basis had numerous occasions where our position has come under direct or indirect fire from both (Israeli) artillery and aerial bombing.

"The closest artillery has landed within 2 meters (sic) of our position and the closest 1000 lb aerial bomb has landed 100 meters (sic) from our patrol base. This has not been deliberate targeting, but rather due to tactical necessity."

Those words, particularly the last sentence, are not-so-veiled language indicating Israeli strikes were aimed at Hezbollah targets near the post, said Maj.-Gen. MacKenzie.
I don't understand, reading the entire article, how General McKenzie came to that conclusion, and is now passing it off as fact, or using it as an excuse to justify the bombing.

I was having a conversation with someone on another board, and when I mentioned that the IDF had bombed Red Cross ambulances, staffed by Red Cross volunteers, he said, "Well, have you considered that the ambulances may have been hijacked by Hezbollah?" Um, no, because they weren't, they were loaded with families who were trying to have a picnic at the beach.

Now, if Hezbollah was using the UN post as a shield, why be so cryptic? Why "veiled language"? Why not make it official to the UN? Why e-mails? Are e-mails typically used by the UN in military/conflict situations? Who was the e-mail addressed to?

then, further down, it says a senior UN offical is quoted as saying;

Quote:
"At the time, there had been no Hezbollah activity reported in the area," he said. "So it was quite clear they were not going after other targets; that, for whatever reason, our position was being fired upon.

"Whether or not they thought they were going after something else, we don't know. The fact was, we told them where we were. They knew where we were. The position was clearly marked, and they pounded the hell out of us."
So, I don't get it. Too many unanswered questions amidst the hyperbole.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I'm not surprised Merpk. Shielding like this has been done before. I'm waiting now to hear about the bombing in Qana. Reports say Israel has proof that the area bombed today was a launching pad to the their rockets going into Israel. Why on earth was the place surrounded with women and children then?

Someone posted a link the other day on the "civilian blending" that Hezbollah is so well at doing. Purposely placing strategic weapons upon civilians in order to hide them. I don't know why there isn't more protesting of this type of action.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by merpk
Did I say it was all right? No. You did. So you must believe it is.

Am surprised. Didn't think you were so callous.
Someone's sarcasm meter is on the fritz again

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandora114
Someone's sarcasm meter is on the fritz again

No, not on the fritz. I grok'd the sarcasm with total fullness. It's against the UA, BTW. But besides that, her sarcastic response assumed all sorts of things about my intent in posting the OP. And that was offensive. Not to mention wrong.

But that's okay.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenkids
I don't understand, reading the entire article, how General McKenzie came to that conclusion, and is now passing it off as fact, or using it as an excuse to justify the bombing.

I was having a conversation with someone on another board, and when I mentioned that the IDF had bombed Red Cross ambulances, staffed by Red Cross volunteers, he said, "Well, have you considered that the ambulances may have been hijacked by Hezbollah?" Um, no, because they weren't, they were loaded with families who were trying to have a picnic at the beach.

Now, if Hezbollah was using the UN post as a shield, why be so cryptic? Why "veiled language"? Why not make it official to the UN? Why e-mails? Are e-mails typically used by the UN in military/conflict situations? Who was the e-mail addressed to?

then, further down, it says a senior UN offical is quoted as saying;

So, I don't get it. Too many unanswered questions amidst the hyperbole.
thank you for your critical thinking.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadie_sabot
the IDF is not a credible source of information in this matter.
Um, so who do you suggest? Hezbola?

·
Registered
14,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadie_sabot
Huh! I dunno! the UN, maybe? oh...wait....

The UN is also not necessarily a credible source.

And please note that this linked story about Hezbollah crossing the Lebanese border with Israel and kidnapping soldiers occurred in October 2000, several months after Israel had completely withdrawn to UN-approved borders. No occupation then, either. Just to be clear about the timeline and the parallels.

Here's a link on the story from the BBC, in case you don't believe the story due to the source of the above link.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts