Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone posted about this trailer on a HS list. Looks like it
*could* be good: Accepted.

"All our lives, we've been told what to learn. At South Harmon, the students are the teachers."

"There are no tests, required reading or any of that nonsense?"
"Whatever the students say they want to learn."

"You don't need fancy, high brow traditions or money to really learn; you just need people with a desire to better themselves, and we got that..."

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Has anyone seen previews for this movie. It could have some good points in it but one of the classes the students decide to take is watching girls sun bathe... Of course its really hard to actually get the whole point of a movie from a 30 second preview on TV.

Allison

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
Quote:
It could have some good points in it but one of the classes the students decide to take is watching girls sun bathe...
I just watched the trailer -- it's obviously a comedy.

I have a feeling that there will be some pieces, like the above-quoted, "You don't need fancy, high brow traditions or money to really learn; you just need people with a desire to better themselves, and we got that..." that we can all nod knowingly about.

While I don't think this is a movie that the unschooling community at large will hold up as a shining example of what unschooling is all about,
it looks pretty funny, all the same.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AllisonK
one of the classes the students decide to take is watching girls sun bathe...
sociology experiment!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
we just saw this preview last night...the whole time my dh was nidging me saying , "homeschooling, etc..."

like a pp said, it is obviously a comedy, but I think it will speak to homeschooling parents and maybe teens...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
It's done by the same people as American Pie... so that should give ya an idea of the comedy level.
It's actually one of the movies I'm wanting to see, and I'm hoping that I laugh as hard as I did with American Pie.

I'm sure it will have a nice feel good message.

Tammy

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hey, this is an old thread but I was looking for stuff like this and I found it.

For some weird reason I ended up seeing this movie (I was NOT a fan of American Pie!
). And you know, it was awesome!

I totally left the theatre feeling good that I had seen it. It was a great movie about unschooling, actually! There were classes like "Attitude 101"
Okay, so most of the "classes", such as they were, wouldn't be things we'd want to teach our children (there was in fact a class where guys watched girls sunbathe.
...but if it's done by the same people who did American Pie, that's pretty tame stuff!) but you know, I thought that was kind of the point. WE wouldn't want to learn that stuff, but THEY wanted to.

I also loved that they built a half-pipe on campus!

Anyway, I actually left the movie feeling glad that I saw it, and even more committed to *someday* helping my own DS find his way in education.

And Lewis Black was in it, and he is one of my favorite comedians EVER.
He said some scathing (and totally true!) things about the state of education in America, and it made me love him even more.

·
Registered
14,840 Posts
The kids and I will see it when it's on DVD. It looks really cute!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the review!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts