Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I were talking about circumcision today and she referred to a circumcised penis as an "un-intact penis." I think it's great! I think we should totally start referring to circumcision as "un-intact" since that's far more accurate than referring to the intact penis as "un-circumcised"


What do you think?

love and peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Awesome. I also think it would help if we refered to them as whole (intact) or partial (un-intact). Partial penis makes people realize something is actually missing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradoalice
Awesome. I also think it would help if we refered to them as whole (intact) or partial (un-intact). Partial penis makes people realize something is actually missing.
oooo - good - that makes a very strong statement. I swear if this baby is a boy, I'm going to have a onesie made that says, "Healthy, Happy, and Whole." Maybe I'll have it made into a t-shirt for ds, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
I had considered this before, the term which I came up with was "Incomplete" but that sounds a little...Harsh. It is accurate but all the same...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,500 Posts
I generally use "intact" and "cut", but I do also like "unintact" or just "not intact". I also use "whole" and "circ'd", and, rarely, "not circ'd". It depends on what I want to emphasize at the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
I might use un-intact, I often say cut, but i NEVER use "circed" I use the whole word. To shorten it makes it seem a little to cutsey KWIM?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadkitty
I might use un-intact, I often say cut, but i NEVER use "circed" I use the whole word. To shorten it makes it seem a little to cutsey KWIM?
How funny, I'm the exact same way. In posts I even spell it all out even though it takes longer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sadkitty
I might use un-intact, I often say cut, but i NEVER use "circed" I use the whole word. To shorten it makes it seem a little to cutsey KWIM?
Thats interesting, i do this too, even in everyday life. i think leaving out the CISION part of the word is why i never leave it out. I believe its the most important part of the word. Thats the only reasoning i can come up with as to why i do that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,412 Posts
Huh, I never thought of that. I often type circ'ed because it is shorter. But I see the point of not using that. I will have to think on it some more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lula's Mom
Huh, I never thought of that. I often type circ'ed because it is shorter. But I see the point of not using that. I will have to think on it some more.
Yeah... I definitely see the point of typing it all out and I've definitely been one to shorten it to "circ'd" to make it quicker and easier to type. If I'm holding dd then I will probably still shorten it, but if I have both hands then I will remember to type it out in its entirety


Hmmm....

whole, intact, complete, natural, as (God-dess-, Nature, etc) intended,

partial, un-intact (or "not intact"), incomplete, unnatural, circumcised, mutilated, cut

I love thesauruses
:

love and peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,259 Posts
I had never heard a normal penis called "intact" til I came here, but I grasped right away why...uncircumcised sounds like the unnormal thing. Intact really makes you realize that intact is whole and otherwise is, well, as you say, unintact.

I think mutilated is appropriate but people would just get defensive....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by coloradoalice
Awesome. I also think it would help if we refered to them as whole (intact) or partial (un-intact). Partial penis makes people realize something is actually missing.
I would never tell my husband he has a partial penis. How extremely hurtful.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,710 Posts
Hurtful, but truthful if a man is cut
as aproximately 15 square inches of skin and thousands of nerves and some blood vessals too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,500 Posts
Mutilated I will use, because it's accurate, and because inherent in the word is that it is something that HAPPENED to the person. There was a mutilation at some point, which itself implies a perpetrator. Partial does not have that implication, and I thus won't use it, because although they both can hurt to hear, at least mutilated has the implication that something HAPPENED TO HIM, not that it's an inherent defect or lack without cause.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,766 Posts
I like to say it like it is...My DH knows he was mutilated. I call them normal (intact) and mutilated (circumcised)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,976 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Viriditas
I would never tell my husband he has a partial penis. How extremely hurtful.
My husband is circumcised, and has no qualms about it. He was very vocal that we have the boys circumcised, and they are both so. Could I go back, I'd make different choices....but point here is that the man himself who is indeed circ'ed, partial, incomplete, mutiliated, etc., is not unhappy, emotionally scarred, wounded or otherwise distressed with his "plight". I know there are some men who are otherwise, and this is not intended to belittle by any means. My husband's penis is, for him, just fine. I would never refer to it otherwise.

ETA - I want to be careful that my boys don't end up thinking there is something wrong with them, something bad. Using words like mutilated and cut might be ok in this type of forum, but in the larger scope, I'd hate for any circumcised boy to grow up thinking that he's defective in some way b/c. Yes, the penis is different. But mutilitated is such a strong, harsh word. I hope those of you who choose this type of reference do so with caution, remembering that not all of your sons' friends will be intact. Truth is truth, and there is no need to sugar-coat, but we do need to be mindful of how children relate to each other, and how hurtful they can be at times.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,674 Posts
Yep, using the word "whole" has gotten me thrown off other parenting forums. Because it implies that other people's sons are not whole and it starts a huge online riot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,500 Posts
Mutilated I will avoid using in some circumstances, but I won't give up whole. But I also won't go hang out in any other parenting boards, for my own sanity.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,976 Posts
Mom to mom, parent to parent, adult to adult, I think it's perfectly fine to use the hard language, and to make a statement without dancing around the real issues. But parent to child, mother to son, father to son, I would never promote something along the lines of "you and johnny have different looking penises because his is intact/complete/whole and yours is mutilated/cut/incomplete". This is a conversation I'm about to have with my 5 year old b/c none of his friends are circ'ed, and he is. I will not tell him he's mutilated. I'll tell him he's circumcised, we'll talk about what that is and go from there. But now way will I ever tell him, at any age, that's he been mutilated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arwyn
Mutilated I will avoid using in some circumstances, but I won't give up whole. But I also won't go hang out in any other parenting boards, for my own sanity.

: I definitely agree that mutilated has its place and that in some circumstances it needs to be avoided. I really like "whole" too though I don't use it an awful lot. I also agree that hanging out in other parenting boards would wreak havoc on my sanity...
:

love and peace.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top