Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my first appointment with my midwife today and she wanted to do a quick ultrasound for dating purposes, which I was fine with since we are not sure at all when this baby came to be. :wink:

Anyway, she saw the sac, but nothing inside really. There was some grey fuzz that she thinks could be a baby. So, she sent me to the high tech u/s room and they did another u/s. The sac is measuring at 4 weeks, 6 days, but they really couldn't see anything else. She said that it's probably too early, but now I'm worried. :( They did some blood work to check my HCG levels, and I go back on Thursday to repeat the blood work. Hopefully the HCG numbers will double, but I'm just concerned that this may end in a miscarriage. Has anyone else gone through something like this? We would be due about two weeks later than we thought.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I had my first appointment with my midwife today and she wanted to do a quick ultrasound for dating purposes, which I was fine with since we are not sure at all when this baby came to be. :wink:

Anyway, she saw the sac, but nothing inside really. There was some grey fuzz that she thinks could be a baby. So, she sent me to the high tech u/s room and they did another u/s. The sac is measuring at 4 weeks, 6 days, but they really couldn't see anything else. She said that it's probably too early, but now I'm worried. :( They did some blood work to check my HCG levels, and I go back on Thursday to repeat the blood work. Hopefully the HCG numbers will double, but I'm just concerned that this may end in a miscarriage. Has anyone else gone through something like this? We would be due about two weeks later than we thought.
At 4 weeks 6 days all that you would expect to see would be the sac.

Even seeing a yolk sac that early doesn't always happen.

In the absence of bleeding or pain, I would assume the next ultrasound you will have, will show a lovely little fetal pole and a yolk sac!

Early ultrasounds are brutal...they often make more questions than they do answers :( I'm sorry you have gone through that. I have been there, too!

Blessings to you!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, MyFillingQuiver. I'm not sure why they scheduled my first appointment this early. I really wish they would have waited even a few weeks so we could have been able to see something better, and still could date things. :/ I hope you're right about seeing good things next time. She was saying if my HCG levels did what they should and doubled, then I should come back next week for another u/s, but that would be at almost 6 weeks, so I may see if I can wait another week to see more.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Yes, not to hijack your story, but just for a perspective for you with a little encouragement of hope...this pregnancy, I had an early ultrasound (I had surgery on my tubes years ago, so I get early u/s with every pregnancy to rule out ectopic as I'm at an increased risk) after my HCG was in the high triplet range. At 5 weeks 6 days we saw two sacs. One had a yolk sac and a fetal pole. The other sac we could see nothing. The OB said that he thought all was well and I was just too early, because my numbers were so good, I had no spotting and both sacs were the same size...

Of course, those two weeks of waiting were nervewracking..but the last ultrasound we got two heartbeats. I am now onto the next worry, LOL! well, really it isn't very funny :D

I will be thinking of you, and am sure you wouldn't have seen much at that stage. Your next u/s will be great!

·
Registered
209 Posts
With my daughter a few years ago, I went in for an ultrasound and measured two weeks earlier than I should have been based on LMP. We were able to see a heartbeat because I was measuring at 7wks, but I should have been almost 9. I hope you get some good news.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Scubaj - hope it all settles, it does seem that although there's a 'schedule' doctors expect things by there are some babies that are individual... I had my scan yesterday at 6.4 weeks - there were two heartbeats but only just... Hold the faith like quiver says, it's probably just too early - maybe you had a late ovulation? Fx!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a late ovulation is very possible looking back at the month, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Plus, I have symptoms that are definite pregnancy symptoms for me- I'm super nauseous right now, I've been tired, majorly bloated, and my breasts are sore. All of those things are good signs. With my miscarriage, I really had no symptoms.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think a late ovulation is very possible looking back at the month, so I'm cautiously optimistic. Plus, I have symptoms that are definite pregnancy symptoms for me- I'm super nauseous right now, I've been tired, majorly bloated, and my breasts are sore. All of those things are good signs. With my miscarriage, I really had no symptoms.
Yes, those are *great* signs! I think it's a great idea to wait longer for first u/s unless like FillingQuiver you have a reason to be high-risk for dangerous complications. But what's done is done. Please do keep us posted, I'll be sure to be thinking of you in the coming weeks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts