Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pump daily to have milk for dd when I'm in class and to donate. From day one, I've pumped very successfully. Now I'm having ahard time getting milk from one breast. DD nurses fine on that side, although the supply has always been a bit lower there. It's to the point where I will pump five or six ounces from the right side and not even get half an ounce from the left side--and it feels full and firm, just nothing will come out. Any suggestions? I'm encouraing DD to nurse on that side more to stimulate lactation, and leaving her latched on for hours when she naps and at night, but so far, there's no improvement.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Also, check the valves and membranes on the pump horns. Maybe one of them is worn out? They wear out pretty quickly and then the pumping seems to work but it doesn't have nearly the suction that it should to get the milk out. I went for weeks one time thinking something was wrong with ME that I was getting less and less milk, until I finally thought to replace the white membrane thingie, and that same day I got many more ounces of milk immediately.

·
Registered
340 Posts
:

I agree with above. It's probably a part in the pump. The membranes can go bad, but also check the tubing. Sometimes there are little tiny holes or cracks in those, too. If it's a Medela, check the filter, these can get clogged.

Laurel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts