Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out this morning that I'm pg. This will be my 3rd biological child, but 5th total (one stepson, one adopted). Did not expect this at this time, as our adoptive baby is only 1 month old. Well.
:

I did have a question though, at what point in the pregnancy does milk develop? My adoptive baby wants to nurse, but I alas, I had no milk, so now I am wondering if this won't work out to his advantage. Any done this? I have never nursed while pregnant, as all my other children were more spaced out.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
First of all, congrats!

I've read milk usually begins developing in the second tri. For some, 16 weeks, others are later. However, if you have a baby suckling, it could be much sooner. I nursed when I was pg, and had no problems.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
haven't there been cases of women lactating without having been pregnant first? i would think it would be easier than normal to try to make this happen when you already have your body gearing up to lactate. can you find a lactation consultant to work with? it could be worth giving it a try - using an SNS if you aren't already so that your body will be getting the nipple stimulation signals.

congratulations on your new baby, and on the baby on the way - what a surprise, and what a blessing!

-rosemary

·
Registered
4,505 Posts
: Woooooooooooow....isn't that something! I remember you from diapering and your new adopted one and now.....
:LOL

I got colostrum uhhhhhhhhhh....month 5. I'm not sure the exact week....after 18 tho, maybe 20 or so. This will be my first nursling, so I don't know about the nursing while pg.

Well, at least you have some nb dipes already!
You didn't rid of your stash yet, didja!

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
Okay, I'm confused...

Are you asking when, during pregnancy, you begin to make milk? Well, you don't. You don't make "milk" until a few days after the baby's birth. Before that time, and it varies widely as to exactly when it starts, you make colostrum.

I was nursing DD when I got PG, and I can still express a few drops of white milk still (no colostrum, but I didn't have any before DD was born, either), but basically I'm pretty much out of milk now.

Sorry if I misunderstood the question.

·
Banned
533 Posts
Hi,
like the earlier poster said it varies. They say you only make colostrum during pregnancy but some women say they lactate. I didn't even make colostrom until after delivery.
*however*
I'm with mezzaluna... if some adoptive moms can lactate when they've never even had children, you would think a veteran mom whose body is familiar with babies and is now pregnant could have a good shot at it?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Congrats Congrats Congrats!!! I know it may seem like a shock now but SO wonderful! Just think, the babies will be so close in age! It'll be wonderful! (this is coming from a mom with almost 5 year old twins, an almost 2 year old and expecting #4 in Sept). This baby wasn't "planned" either and I was a bit nervous in the beginning because I am still nursing a special needs baby and I was afraid the pregnancy would interfere with nursing but now I'm thrilled and know that it was meant to be

On the nursing issue, I was making milk without any problem until about a month ago (I'm 26 weeks). I'm sure my milk is dried up now and can't express any colostrum yet but every woman is different. I started leaking colostrum when I was preg with the twins at around 22 weeks (and let me tell you, I freaked out because I had no idea that would happen- LOL!!! Oh, how we grow!) Anyway, my almost 2 year old has still been "nursing" even without milk until 4 days ago when he hasn't nursed once! We'll see if he starts again

I wanted to ask if you've looked into different types of supplimental breastfeeding devices- I can't think of what they're called off the top of my head but have seen them. You can have the adoptive baby latch onto your breast while you have a bag with milk somehow attached (am I making ANY sense???) I'm not sure if this would help but here's a link...

http://www.lalecheleague.org/Web_sto...=2230375_12535

Ok, sorry about the long ramble- I'm just so happy for you and your growing family!

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I'm not sure about when you're pregnant without having had a baby first. I know it's possible. But imagine how pleased your adopted babe will be when you have this baby and there's loads of milk!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts