Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm close to my wits end w/ this ms and would just really love some relief. i've only been at it for 2 weeks and i cannot imagine 4 more.
i told myself i would take something this time around, rather than suffer and subsequently watch my family suffer--even lined up an ob just for this reason (but we ruled out prescriptions as one's too expensive and the other makes you tired) and while he encouraged the the unisom/b-6 protocol, i'm irrationally hesitant still because i've never been one to take anything in pregnancy, not even tyenol. i guess i need to "get over myself" and hear it's benefits (or not) from others? anyone taking them w/ good results?

aka ladyelms

· Registered
1,235 Posts
Unisom is a sleeping pill and will also make you very tired. I've taken it to get to sleep when NOT pregnant or nursing and it's great for that but I have no experience with it for morning sickness. I'm sorry you're having it so bad

· Registered
2,001 Posts
DDDC crashing...

Unisom was a life saver for me this pregnancy. I know some people can take 1/2 a pill at night and get some relief all the next day. I had to take it 3x a day to get through (up through 18 weeks). It did make me very tired for the first few days, but then I got used to it and was pretty close to normal. I did sleep VERY well at night, though.

I had a prescription for Zofran which I took for breakthrough (I had to do that every few days), but the Unisom kept the day-to-day nausea at a manageable level.

There have been studies in Canada where this is a commonly prescribed combination that have shown no issues with the children even years down the line. One even suggested an INCREASE in IQ of a few points. I'm not sure I believe it, but it was reassuring.

· Premium Member
2,038 Posts
Lotusma - have you heard of RXoutreach?

They do REALLY cheap meds, including the generic version of Zofran.

Zofran is WICKED expensive, but they the generic for fifty bucks for 90 days worth. That's a significant savings, even on the generic.

You need to income qualify, but the guidelines are pretty generous.

Here: http://www.rxoutreach.com/

I haven't used them personally, but I have a friend who does. I am planning to if I need anything they have because I no longer have any prescription coverage left, I used it all for IVF.

· Registered
786 Posts
I've tried the unisom/b6 combo and it didn't help me all that much, I went to phenergan (probably the prescription you are talking about that you don't want to take because it will make you tired) and it's helped so much. I can actually function while taking it. It was exhausted the first few days and was falling asleep during the day but then I got used to it and it's fine now. Maybe you could start it on a Friday night so you have someone around all weekend in case you are really tired at first.

· Registered
113 Posts
I did the Unisom/B6 combo with two of my pregnancies.

With DS1 I still threw up every every day until 20ish weeks and every couple of days until I gave birth, but if I didn't take it, I threw up multiple times a day.

With DS2 I didn't throw up as long as I took the combo. I was able to stop around 23-24 weeks and didn't have any nausea from then on.

This pregnancy, the nausea/dry heaves started a couple of day ago, so I started the combo, but then found out unisom isn't safe while nursing. So, I'm taking B6 when it gets super bad.

· Registered
548 Posts
I also have used Unisom with two of my pregnancies and it worked wonders. Like a pp, I got used to the sleepy effect during the day. It really took the edge off the horrible nausea. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again - morning sickness for me is just too unbearable to suffer through without help.

I should add too that I am also one who would never usually take anything, whether pregnant or not. I rarely use any OTC meds like that, but I tried every natural remedy under the sun with little relief.

· Registered
607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mom2reenie View Post

This pregnancy, the nausea/dry heaves started a couple of day ago, so I started the combo, but then found out unisom isn't safe while nursing. So, I'm taking B6 when it gets super bad.
o no. do you recall where you read that?

· Registered
2,001 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotusma View Post
anyone wanna share dosage info that worked? (i'm getting lots of different info online)
I started out with 1/2 a pill at bedtime, then moved up to 1/2 a pill at waking, afternoon, and bedtime.

· Registered
789 Posts
I've taken Unisom and B6 a handful of times this pregnancy and its worked pretty well but made me very tired. I used phenergan during my last pregnancy, but my morning sickness was worse. Phenergan made me WAY more tired. I've taken Zofran while not pregnant... it's a miracle drug; I would take it this time if my nausea were unmanageable.

I'd like more info on why it's contraindicated during breastfeeding though. It didn't even occur to me that it might be since it's pregnancy category A. I wonder if the age of the nursing child and/or frequency of nursing matters? I searched the 2006 edition of Hale's Medications and Mothers Milk online and read that it's an L4, but there was no clear explanation WHY. The 2006 edition was also incorrect on Unisom's pregnancy category. Maybe I'll post a thread over in breastfeeding...

· Registered
217 Posts
My doctor suggested 1/2 of a Unisom tablet at night with 25-50 mg of B-6. She said I could repeat it in the morning if needed. However, because I still co-sleep with and nurse my 2 year old, I feel hesitant to take a sleep aid at all. I have HAD to turn to Zofran once again. I do use the generic (ondanestron) which is very cheap, so maybe that is an option to look into? Zofran is not perfect - it is very constipating, for one thing - but it allows me to continue to function and care for my other children. I also hate having to use medicine during pregnancy, but each of mine seem to get worse and homeopathic/alternative measures do not seem to touch this morning sickness! Hang in there - I know it seems like we have eternity to go before the second trimester, but we will get there!

Tara

· Registered
3,333 Posts
Morning sickness is awful. My first I vomited over 15 times a day. My second quite a bit less.

This time I started to use homeopathy. (for the past year, homeopathy has been my main form of medicine) It doesn't take it all away but it has been great. For me, I have found homeopathy to fix almost anything, but I need to get the remedy right, and know when to take more.

At the moment, I take ipecac for nausea and Nux vomica for vomiting. As long as I pay attention to my hunger signs and keep on top of the homeopathy I am doing ok. Still throwing up a few times a day, but I feel normal for entire chunks of the day which is amazing.

There are other remedies that could match your symptoms though.

Homeopathy totally rocks. I'm in love.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.