Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we went for audrey's screening today with the woman who came to observe her at daycare. she was not able to give us an official diagnosis , but told us she felt audrey was "somewhere on the autism spectrum". she was also concerned about these "shudders" i see dd do every once in a while. she thinks they may be seizures. it only happens very rarely so im not sure. the next steps are getting her in to see her ped so that we can update him, and then probably to a neurologist. im a bit overwhelmed with all this, but glad to sort of know what is going on.

· Registered
787 Posts

It is all very overwhelming at first. A pediatric neurologist sounds like a great idea to rule out seizures, as a first step. Autism is a different world: it's not better or worse, but it can be overwhelming! Give yourself time to process what you're hearing about your child, and start figuring out what fits and what doesn't. It's good to have an answer, a name to put to what is going on, but it's also good to take a step back from it once in awhile.

Hopefully that made sense. I'm not always good at writing out what I'm trying to get across.

· Premium Member
9,239 Posts
It is overwhelming at first.
Was the autism spectrum thought new? It can be hard to hear that mentioned at first.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the thoughful responses. the autism thought wasn't new at all, i guessed that it was something along those lines from reasearch i'd done. and asking questions here
it was just different to hear it from a "professional" i guess. i'm feeling much better about it now after having a few hours to process. i am newly pg and i think i have a whole crazy cocktail of hormones and emotions goin on right now!!

· Registered
74 Posts
This can be a rough time. One of things that really helped me was this place. I felt so alone. I lost friends because they did not want DS yelling at their child or just plain felt uncomfortable. When I found this place it was so great. I finally felt that someone understood.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
I think the beginning is always really hard. Hearing what you don't want to ever hear. I hope you get some more answers and some support. If you have an EEG done for seizure testing, it is non-invasive, so that is a good thing. Answers can be good.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i agree that finding things out can be a positive
what goes on with the eeg? when the "shuddering" happens, it almost looks like she's just so excited about something, or has a burst of energy and that's just how she gets it out. or maybe just that she goes on sensory overload. it looks kind of like when you get a chill down your spine and shiver, yk? she is very energetic and almost always moving or making noises. that probably sounds weird, but it makes sense in my head. lol. there was one time when she did it, and it lasted a little longer and she sort of spaced out then too- that is what i mentioned to them that they were most concerned about. it only happened once (that i've noticed), and that was earlier this week. i'm worried because of that so we will definitely be getting it checked out.

· Registered
1,895 Posts
My son has only had one EEG but I know there are other mothers here who will most likely have more information for you. Basically when Finn had it done he was awake and they attached these little wires to the outside of his head (all over) with sticky stuff. Then they monitor on a video screen what happens in terms of the brain waves. It doesn't hurt, but sometimes kids don't like having to sit still or have things stuck on their head. But if you keep your DD entertained hopefully it won't be too difficult.

· Registered
216 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by inky leeuhhh View Post
the autism thought wasn't new at all, i guessed that it was something along those lines from reasearch i'd done. and asking questions here
it was just different to hear it from a "professional" i guess.
When DS was first evaluated they mentioned autism, which had been lingering in my mind. So hearing it wasn't a shock. Prior to this, when I asked questions, the response I got was, "oh, he'll grow out of it."
DS shakes or shudders some and it's mainly when he is waking up. The ped. says it's due to an immature nervous system.

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok i just thought about that again, and while it does happen while shes waking up that's for sure not the only time she does it. it happens during wake up id say 1/3 of the time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.