Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
And, on several occasions, the investigators observed worrisome lapses related to circumcisions, including an instance when a nurse didn't change gloves before tending to the dressings of a baby. Of the 19 infants who have become ill with the drug-resistant staph infection, 15 have been boys, according to Dr. Anita Barry, who is overseeing the investigation of the cases by the Boston Public Health Commission.

"I think the circumcision dressing example was one we found particularly problematic," Dreyer said. "You've got examples of contamination that may be in the context of kids with open wounds from circumcision. The danger is spread of infection."
http://www.boston.com/news/health/ar...t_beth_israel/

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ops I meant this to go in Cac, can it be moved?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by carriebft View Post
ops I meant this to go in Cac, can it be moved?
hehe...I thought this was going to be about a new vax recommendation due to unsanitary circ procedures. I wouldn't be shocked.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
updated here:
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fami...kCurrentPage=0

The father, who asked to remain anonymous to protect his family's privacy, said his son was born in January, after the hospital was aware that there was a problem involving the MRSA bacteria. He said he wished he had been told what symptoms related to MRSA to look for when they were discharged, rather than be "kept in the dark."

The pediatrician alerted them to a problem after noticing several red marks the size of a pencil point on his son's genital area, he said, and within days, the tiny marks turned into "blisters filled with pus."

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oh gaw!!! Really? Warned what to look for with respect to infection? Really? Now we need to know what infection looks like? But doesn't circ STOP infection?
:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks for that address, Gillian. I think that lay people don't really understand the horror which medical professionals view this news. If they did, this would be getting way more news coverage across the country.

This is "flesh eating disease". Imagine the feeling of having to watch a baby die of something preventable that you have no antibiotics to touch. I notice on some of my professional mailing lists (nurses, midwives), there are some tentative inquiries on what policies are in place to clean circumstraints.

We call on all medical professionals to do the right thing here. Call a moratorium on circumcision until such time as MRSA is eliminated as a concern. All unnecessary surgeries need to be halted in light of this problem.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by baybee View Post
We call on all medical professionals to do the right thing here. Call a moratorium on circumcision until such time as MRSA is eliminated as a concern. All unnecessary surgeries need to be halted in light of this problem.

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
I've had that photo of that poor baby with the MRSA infection on my facebook for over a year now...no one seems to care. It's like the botched circs...oh well, these things happen.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
I've had that photo of that poor baby with the MRSA infection on my facebook for over a year now...no one seems to care. It's like the botched circs...oh well, these things happen.
What really blows my mind is that they're thinking, "It won't happen to my son." They don't care that it happened to someone else's kid. Heck, why don't these same people just let their infant ride in a vehicle without a carseat. After all, they're thinking these 'rare' tragic events won't happen to them.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Interesting point, Fruitful Womb. Which is more common: a botched circ or a child injured in a carseat? We can't know because not all circ errors are reported plus some aren't even clear until puberty, and you know, 12 yrs b/t cause and effect can't possibly be related.....

·
Premium Member
3,766 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treece View Post
some aren't even clear until puberty, and you know, 12 yrs b/t cause and effect can't possibly be related.....
Or later...ya know my DH's Meatal Stenosis at 42 couldn't possibly have anything to do with it...

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Treece View Post
Interesting point, Fruitful Womb. Which is more common: a botched circ or a child injured in a carseat? We can't know because not all circ errors are reported plus some aren't even clear until puberty, and you know, 12 yrs b/t cause and effect can't possibly be related.....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Or later...ya know my DH's Meatal Stenosis at 42 couldn't possibly have anything to do with it...
If I had to say which was more common, I'd definately say botched circs. I wasn't really trying to compare. I was delving into the mindset of these types of parents. Then I wonder if with the new HIV/AIDS claim, are they going to pass down this irrational thinking to their ds's by indirectly telling their kid that he has on a natural condom? The ds is likely to engage in riskly behavior because he is emulating his parents mindset. But this is all just hypothetical.

Meatal Stenosis is way more common than UTI yet, its not listed as a complication. That furiates me!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by fruitful womb View Post
Then I wonder if with the new HIV/AIDS claim, are they going to pass down this irrational thinking to their ds's by indirectly telling their kid that he has on a natural condom?
I'm thinking that there are parents that will outright tell their sons that. THAT is sad. This whole this is sad.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
This story could have been hammered home way more effectively if we had a publicist like the AIDS/africa people seem to have. As a movement, we need to be able to act quickly and decisively when these stories come out AND we can count on them to keep on coming, unfortunately.

·
Registered
9,021 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by baybee View Post
This story could have been hammered home way more effectively if we had a publicist like the AIDS/africa people seem to have. As a movement, we need to be able to act quickly and decisively when these stories come out AND we can count on them to keep on coming, unfortunately.
Isn't this the main push behind Intact America, the new intactivist group?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.