Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
There are tons of unschoolers in NJ. We use an online program for the most part but we also do a lot of child lead learning. We are members of NJ Homeschool Hangout. http://www.meetup.com/NJHomeschoolHangout/

In our group we run the gamut from Radical Unschoolers to Total School At Home. And everything in between. We are a secular group and welcoming to anyone. There are also many other homeschool groups in the area. What part of NJ are you thinking about? I'm in Bergen County in the NE of NJ.

Kathi

·
Registered
685 Posts
my LO is still little almost 9mo, but we plan to do some type of unschooling. Glad to see there are others out there. I would love to pick some brains - such a weird saying I realized as I was typing it

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, this is exciting! I had no idea! I am from NJ originally and our family is considering a move back. my husband would have a job in nyc, but we figured we would live in northern jersey since my brother and sister are both there. are there any towns that are more progressive than others or ones that have a bigger unschooling population?

thanks!
lisa

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I guess that really depends on where in Northern Jersey you were considering living and what you are looking for in the town. I wouldn't call my Bergen County town progressive but we have been very happy here.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Laws are much better here than in New York. In fact, there are none here. In New York I know you have to file a letter of intent. I think there are some reports to file and maybe testing.

Some communities are more progressive than others. I think Montclair is more progressive than where I live. Around Princeton is pretty liberal as well. But probably to far of a commute to the city. I find that for us, we have to drive a ways for anything. We are in a tiny little town not far from New York City

Feel free to ask any questions you like. I'm sure we will all try to answer them.

Kathi

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.