Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Well, I have a girl (your last sentence sounds like maybe you really want to hear from mamas of boys), but I think your ped may be overreacting a bit! However I'm no expert in developmental stuff, so I don't know, that's just my opinion from reading your post.

At 12 months my DD was pointing and waving, but not saying any "words" at all besides mama and dada and they were definitely not always used correctly. She said mamamamamma a lot, and mum mum for nursing, so I guess maybe that is a word. She babbled but not constantly like some kids, and it didn't seem very complex to me - it's more complex when she 'jargons' now, I hear more phonemes. My ped was not concerned at ALL about her language development at 12 months.

Gross motor, she was cruising by that point and standing from a sit. She walked at 13 months.

She did understand simple commands, bring me the ball, where is the kitty. But not about everything, just about the things we talked about a lot. Now at 14 months OMG she understands so much more!!

Forgot signing...at 12 months I don't think she had any signs except maybe airplane and clock (which are remarkably similar, both with the R hand up in the air!). Maybe she also did 'milk' occasionally - I don't remember. But to be fair I did not sign a lot with her.

She did NOT make any animal sounds yet at 12 months. At some point around 13 months she started doing monkey sounds and now she is slowly branching out to other animals! But most animals still sound like monkeys

My DD has generally been on the slower side of reaching milestones but well within the range of normal. On some things she is ahead of the charts - she was turning pages in books at 6 or 7 months, for example. She waved quite early. But she was not an early talker, crawler or walker. She has her own developmental 'profile'.

Maybe if you find some developmental milestone charts (BabyCenter has some and my DD is usually a little behind what they say an X month old should be doing) and see if there is cause for concern - as far as I know, a slower trajectory (within a broad range) is fine, but there are certain things that are red flags, so you can see if that applies to your ds - who sounds pretty normal to me!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I don't remember if ds was waving at this age (I think so, though), but I know that the following commands thing wasn't happening. It wasn't something I really worked on, though. We didn't really do well-checks, so no one mentioned it either. But later on, we were having a home visitor come to our home from a healthy families program, and I asked some questions about his delayed language; so she administered a test of sorts. Some of the questions involved asking him to get things from other rooms, and I just told her that it wasn't something that ever came up, since we lived in a very very small apt. She determined that everything was within the range of normal, including language, although his language was on the low end of normal. He was great at all the animal sounds, though!

Ds is now almost 4, and he's normal in every way that I can tell (except being spirited!), even though his language isn't quite where some of the other kids we're around is. But considering he started talking later, I think where he's at is fine.

I hope everything's alright with your ds, and that it's nothing serious to worry about. It doesn't take much to rattle one's confidence when it's your first-born.

Kristen

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annT
Guys, we just had our one-year pediatrician visit, and I'm a bit upset. It would really help me out if you could tell me what your babe did at one year.
The ped said that he appears to have delays in both his receptive and expressive language capabilities, based on the description I just gave you. Although I had *noticed* the pointing/waving issue, and his lack of understanding re: commands, I was somewhat blind-sided by the ped's statement, as well as by the ped's concern (and this is a very laid-back ped).
IMO, you need to get a new Ped. Expecting a 1 year old to follow commands?!!? Shoot, my 3 year old still doeans't follow commands, especially from a stranger.
My 17 month old JUST now began waving 'bye-bye'.

A good Ped will go by what the parents says their child is exposed to.
ie-my Sami never saw a Giraffe before, and that was one of the pictures she was asked to identify. She of course, called it a Horse, but she knew it wasn't a horse, but couldn't think of what else it could fit as, kwim?

It sounds like your dc is doing great and is extremely happy.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
I just took my DD for her 12 month checkup. She does wave and point, but she doesn't follow commands like "bring me the book". If you asked her "Where's the dog" or Where's Daddy" she wouldn't answer. She does say words in the sense that certain sounds she makes are intended to convey meaning, like "boo" is supposed to be "balloon" and "maah" is "cat", in Maddie-speak.

Your DC sounds fine to me, I'm actually a little surprised that your ped responded as strongly as he did. What do you think? Do you think your DC is delayed? My DD is not doing everything she is "supposed" to be doing, but she is "ahead" of the curve in other areas. I'm not worried about her and apparently neither is our ped, since he's never said anything about it.

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by famousmockngbrd
Cross posted with MITB - I agree with her!
My 3 year old doesn't follow commands very well either! I knew I should have gotten a dog.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
My 1 year old was NOT following commands. She only said mama and auf (which ment dog) Since your son barks for a dog, I'd say it's his word.

Honestly, your son sounds find to me. Take it easy. Peds can scare the heck out of mom's!

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Quote:

X-posted to Toddler

Guys, we just had our one-year pediatrician visit, and I'm a bit upset. It would really help me out if you could tell me what your babe did at one year.

My one-year-old son is not pointing or waving at all, despite seeing me do it. I have also been signing with him for months (focusing on a few simple signs, and repeating them every day), and he hasn't picked up on any signs. He has no words, other than "mama" (which he uses mostly when distressed, and which sounds more like "muhamamama").

He is an incredibly happy, incredibly loving child. He's clearly intensely attached to me and to his dad. He loves to be held and cuddled, he gives open-mouth kisses, and he smiles, giggles, and laughs. He's very interested in other children, loves to look at pictures of babies, loves to look in the mirror, and loves animals. He makes a barking noise whenever he sees a dog. He also reaches for objects, and occasionally shows me what he wants via gestures (for example, closing a book in my hands if he doesn't want me to read it to him). He's extremely vocal, and spends almost the whole day babbling (mama, wawa, dada, gaga), cooing, and shrieking happily.

His gross motor skills are average - he's cruising, pulling to a stand, climbing, always on the move.

The ped was concerned that he cannot follow simple commands (bring me the book, show me the doggy, where is dada). I answered honestly and said that I don't think he understands me when I say things like that. He clearly understands words like "up," because when I say it he strains his whole body upward, but that's about it.

The ped said that he appears to have delays in both his receptive and expressive language capabilities, based on the description I just gave you. Although I had *noticed* the pointing/waving issue, and his lack of understanding re: commands, I was somewhat blind-sided by the ped's statement, as well as by the ped's concern (and this is a very laid-back ped).

As we think about where to go from here, it would really help me to know just how atypical his development is. What was your one-year-old doing? Does this kid sound even remotely like any of your boys?

Thanks, and I'm sorry this is so long.
I could have written this post!!!!!!!!!!!! (Well, I actually did write something similar 3 months ago when DS was 12 months).
My primary ped (and a second ped) both sensed some development issues in my son in relation to speech. He was walking and babbling but wasn't saying a word. He is 15 months now and only has 2 words. He doesn't point or gesture. Although I am definately worried about his development, I am also not overly concerned because I believe every toddler develops at his or her pace. I am signed up right now for early intervention. I haven't had the evaulation yet, but we're on the list. I am doing it not so much because the pediatrician's freaked out, but more because I want to rule out any potential long term problems. I would maybe suggest EI, or a speech pathologist. Don't worry too much, though. I have heard MANY people say that this is NORMAL behavior.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
dd is 14 months but at 12 months she was pulling up and cruising- she walked a few weeks later. She said "mama", "dada", and an odd sound sorta like a dog barking that ment "animal". She signed "more" and "please" but she had to be prompted. she did wave but very rarely pointed (she only really started doing that 2 or 3 weeks ago).

The only command she followed was "where's your baby"? and she'd go find it.

Your son sounds on track to me!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like my little one is "delayed" also. Don't believe your ped. My baby will be 1 on Friday and only says Mama, but then she calls everyone that. She doesn't wave or point or follow directions. She does a couple signs dog (panting, which she does for every furry thing) and fish (smacking lips). She's starting doing "more" lately but at random times, not when she actually wants more of anything. She crawls, stands holding onto things and cruises. (EWWWW I have to interrupt this post to tell you of her latest discovery- poop. As I was posting this she pooped on the floor and proceeded to smear her body with it. By the time I got back from cleaning her up I returned to clean the floor to find the dog licking it up :puke and our dinner burned to a crisp on the BBQ- Ick!)

Anyway, the little boy across the street is one week younger than she is and has been walking for a couple months and says several words. Every baby develops at their own pace.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
ur ds sounds completely normal. the only command my ds knew at that age was "no" and he knew to stop doing whatever it was (doesn't mean he stayed away tho!!) my ds said NO words until he was 19 months and that was uh-oh....it took him about a month to add more words and now he still only has about 5 words (hes 21 months). he can understand commands now which really started to develop in the last 3ish months. he doesn't do animal sounds (because i don't do it....). ds did start walking 1 week after his birthday. he went straight from pulling up/cruising to walking i think in less than a month!! ds started using 3 signs daily (alot!!!) at around 9/10 months i think. it was the things MOST important to him tho. and i had used them on and off for about 3 months.

overall your ds sounds completely fine. you of course can do early intervention or have him checked by another ped but thats just so you can say "here i checked it out i am not worried but i did my duty" if that makes you feel better. i wouldn't worry tho.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I made notes about my son's development at 18 months, but not at 12 months. I think by 18 months I was pretty freaked out at his inability to walk, and wanted to confirm that other things were going okay? At 18 months my son had incredible fine motor skills and knew a lot of words, though he only said a few of them consistently. Mainly he said "fla!' (for flower) and "dog!" and "gate!" (everything had an exclamation point.) His verbal development has tended to go in big leaps, so that sometimes he would gain a whole lot of vocabulary or speech skills in a short time.

He couldn't walk without help though. It took him a long time to be able to walk on his own!

We decided to seek PT for the walking stuff. I took him to a physical therapist through our health insurance, who was pretty terrible. Then we had him evaluated through Early intervention at 2 years 6 months. Even though he wasn't delayed enough to be eligible, they let us have services. The physical therapist was quite amazing. I can't say enough good stuff about EI in my area.

I think it's so worthwhile to seek out help from Early Intervention. The services are nearly free, they come to your house, and there is really no downside. If you find that the speech therapist from EI in your area is not a good one--and i know that can happen--you don't have to take the services.

if your child isn't really delayed but just has an atypical developmental pattern, getting speech therapy won't hurt. In our experience with the PT, my son liked it that he got to play with a nice lady once a week. Even the PT whom I didn't like so well was a nice pleasant adult for him to flirt with. The PT from EI became a real friend for him, someone he looked forward to seeing.

Your pediatrician could be wrong. He's only seeing your son for a short visit. But i think it's GREAT that he (or she, couldn't tell from your post) is concerned. That's why you go for well-baby check ups, to make sure that things are chugging along as they should be. You've got a happy, healthy baby and it sounds like it would be a good thing to check in with someone in the know about the speech development stuff. You're on top of things and therefore they will work out.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Other than I would consider having his hearing checked, I've got nothing that the other mamas haven't said.

Quote:

I answered honestly and said that I don't think he understands me when I say things like that. He clearly understands words like "up," because when I say it he strains his whole body upward, but that's about it.
This would be the thing that concerns me. Any way you can have a hearing screening done on him and just check it out? Your ped might even be able to do it (it's simple- they just stick a little thing in your ds's ear for a few seconds. Completely painless. Much like the newborn screening, if he had that done). Even though you say he knows the word "up" he could just be reading your lips (or hand movements/gestures). If he's not looking at you and you say his name (or up, or something else that he likes) will he at least turn his head towards you? If he's not looking and you slam a door or something will he look up?

Coming from a mama to an almost 3 year old boy who does have a large speech delay and is going through testing.... I'd get his hearing checked. If it's fine I'd wait and see what happens in the next few months.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I say wait a while before you start to worry. My Ds did EVERYTHING late - crawled at 12 months, walked at 18 months, talked at 20 months (more than two words), and potty trained at age 4. But he is happy and healthy and very smart. There is NOTHING wrong with him. He just has his own time table. He was even born 9 days late!

You might want to try to work with your son a little ( I used the book Slow and Steady, Get Me Ready) but I feel that it is too early to worry or be alarmed.

Hugs!

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
When we went to Ds's one year visit I got a little hand out saying that one year olds can follow commands like, "get your shoes". DH and I laughed...I looked at DS and said, "get your shoes" Nope no shoe bringing...of course he doesn't even have shoes yet b/c he can't walk.

Our DS is totally differnt than our DD was at 1. At one she could walk and had some words and could point to anytihg you asked. Ds...not so much. He does point just this week that started and he likes to point at a frog in book. So I say, "where's the frog" and he points...but you know what I could also say "where's daddy and he would point to that frog!"
Your son does not sound delyed to me...just a happy baby. they are all different and I really learned that with this litttle boy I have now who is NOTHING like his sisiter

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I didn't know my 12 month old was supposed to be able to follow commmands.

My 24 year old husband still can't...why should my infant be able to???

I take that back. If I say "clap clap", she will clap her hands...but that might be because I've been singing "If you're happy and you know it" since the day she was born, doing the exercises with her.

She points with her whole hand, palm up, fingers spread...but since she does it with both arms in opposite directions, it can sometimes be hard to figure out if she's pointing to the fan next to the window, or the slide in her room, or if she's just shrugging.

She doesn't wave, but then again, I've never waved to her...it didn't occur to me that I needed to wave bye-bye.

She isn't talking at all...she babbles constantly, and is very very serious about what she has to say, but it's not English yet. I'm not terribly concerned about that - she does respond to me when I speak to her, she looks for sounds that are not in her line of sight, and she vocalizes non-stop. Talking late runs in my family, with my youngest brother being the most extreme - he didn't talk until he was 3, but when he did, it was in complete sentences. My older brother was the earliest talker at 15 months...he said "dog".

She cruises, can stand up from the potty chair, can pull to standing from sitting on the ground, can stand unassisted for a short time, but doesn't quite have the confidence to walk yet.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Ok, I have a one year old son right now.

He cruises. He walks if he's pushing the laundry basket or my DD's tiny potty.

He stands unassisted briefly and yesterday took a wobbly step and fell on his fanny.

I've been signing with him since birth. DD has over 300 sings. DS has NONE at this point. He'll smile at me doing it but he doesn't seem to want to do it in response.

He has no words. He is doing the, "dadadadadada" thing but it's not in relation to his father. There's no, "mamamamama" at all. I did start making new sounds like, "tatata" and "nanana" back to him and he seems fascinated by that.

No waving yet.

He claps only if I hold his hands and do it for him.

No pointing yet.

He does hold his arms out for me when we leave the bed in the morning and after naps.

My son is also superattached to me. A close friend that he has seen him at least once a week for hours at a time for the past 5 months and that has seen him since his birth just Tuesday got to hold him without his becoming hysterical. His FATHER still cannot do that. He liked observing other people - he simply needed to be in my arms much more than my DD did at the same age. Last weekend was the first time he ever played with my mother.

I cannot and would not leave him even with his father for more than 15 minutes or so. He just goes to pieces.

But I know this phase will pass. And he is prone to making sudden developmental leaps - there was no practice in rolling over for him. One day, rather early on, he rolled over and that was that. Crawling was the same.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
My 13 months old doesn't wave or point, but I've never tried to see if he can either. He's been walking for 4 months now and says a few words, so I'm not too worried about it.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts