Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to vent. I made the mistake of telling my friend what I was going to try to do when my baby was born after I read about EC. My baby is now seven weeks and we are off and running. Now I get comments in a sarcastic tone from my friend and her husband "so how's that diaper free thing going?" "good luck with that". I hate the term "diaper free" now. As hard as I try to explain what I am doing, she takes the name and runs off with her own ideas. Now I feel like I have to succeed!

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
why do you think she's saying those things? Is she just teasing you? Do they have kids? Are they feeling defensive about their parenting, or are they just clueless and joking around? We can all admit that EC does seem strange to people who don't really get it and are hearing about it for the first time. How about you laugh along with her? "Heh heh, yup, that crazy baby on her potty!"

Don't let it bother you! EC is fun, and being with your baby is fun, and if they don't get it, well, maybe they will sooner or later, by your example. The only success in EC is measured in relation to you and your baby, not your buddies and their silly comments!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I agree with you Pamela. But it can be really hard when the people in your life think you are doing something weird. We are a tribal species, genetically hard wired to fit in. (for the most part)

Tracy, you already have succeeded. EC is EC. The important thing is that you are tuning in to your baby, whenever you can. You won't be able to catch every pee, so don't feel that you have failed when you do. We all miss, it's just part of the process!

Enjoy your new baby and maybe seek out like-minded friends? I know my social circle has changed drastically since I became a mom.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Most of my friends (and a fairly large percentage of my family too!) think I'm nuts. But it works for us, my baby is happy and that's all the matters. It did take me a bit to be able to shrug off the snide comments or amazed responses, but it's all part of it. And when your friend finally SEES you in action with your baby, she'll might be more able to understand the whole thing. And if not, then when she asks about it you can tell her "baby and I love it. it's so great to be so in tune with my baby's needs". And then change the subject. Nobody can argue with that!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I get weird comments from my family and my friends who have TPT children, but my childless friends think it's the coolest thing. Just today my friend in NY said that she wil never forget the term Elimination Communication! Of course she is from Ukraine, so there were no diapers there when she was a baby. She even went all over Chinatown looking for the $1 split-crotch pants mentioned in the NY Times article!
Maybe instead of saying that your DC is *diaper free*, you could explain it as *using diapers differently* or say that you have chosen not to *diaper train*.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Since I am brown, most people are too pc to comment on any of the 'different' things i do, whether slinging, ebf'ing or ec'ing (or family bedding, for that matter). Meanwhile I am jumping up and down wanting to tell them that it is NOT because I am brown that I do all these things. <sigh>

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
I get all kinds of incredulous reactions because I'm a very "mainstream" parent in outward appearance. I formula/bottle feed (not by choice, but out of medical necessity), I work outside the home, we live in a large house waaay above our means and my oldest attends public preschool and will attend public school. I have nearly every piece of plastic baby gear manufactured to date. Both my boys started solid food at 5 months of age, took/take pacifiers and used/will use a sippy cup as long as possible. But....

We EC. We cloth diaper for in - between potty catches. I carry my baby in a sling when he wants to be held close. I'd family-bed if my boys preferred it (but they each prefer their own sleeping spaces). Most of the reactions I get are something like "wow, I would never have imagined YOU to be one of *those people*". Apparently this means I'm a successfully camoflauged AP. Sure wish I was more obvious to the naked eye!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.