Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 39 weeks pregnant and have a sort of dilemma. I am in a foreign country (DH is military)and am expecting my second child. My oldest is 2.5 and was born via c-section after FTP with use of pitocin. The c-section, while worth it a million times over, was very traumatic for me and I really wanted to have a vbac this time around. The birthing center on base is very anti-vbac, so a few months ago I got a referral to see a doctor off base in the local economy to have a consult about a possible vbac. The doctor I saw told me that he thinks I should have a repeat c-section (vbacs are viewed negatively here) but if I went into labor on my own before a certain date then I could try for a vbac. I found out two days ago that he flat out lied to me and wrote in my chart that if I went to the hospital in labor I was to immediately have a repeat c-section.
So basically if I want a vbac it has to be at home and unassisted- which we haven't really prepared for since my dh and I were under the impression I was having a vbac at the local hospital (and I just found out my GBS was positive). If you were faced with the option of a repeat c-section or an unassisted hbac which would you chose? Why?
All opinions appreciated.
Tia~

Jenny
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
I am so sorry you are in such a tough position. Of course, only you can decide what's right for you and none of us really know what we would do until we're sitting in that position.

However, I think I would immediately find a doula. I would labor at home as long as possible and then go to the military hospital pushing. (I, personally, would just feel safer doing a primary VBAC in a hospital, but that's just me.) The doula can help stand up for your rights and desires. Personally, I think I would go for the military hospital over the local hospital. (You didn't mention what country and I tend to trust US healthcare, even military, over foreign healthcare.) However, if I trusted the overall healthcare system (maybe a good European country where I spoke the language fluently) I may go with a local hospital, but I would definitely go with a different one than the one where you had your consult at. Hopefully, at a different hospital by the time they figure out your a VBAC, you're holding your baby.

I'm so sorry you're in this position, Jenny. Think about it and pray about it and then do whatever you feel is right for you and your family. Good luck. Keep us posted with whatever you decide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts
Yes, you can decline the c-section (especially if you're on base because then it's USA rules). Also, it might be worth looking into, but I do know there is a way to treat GBS naturally before labor. Of course you'd have to do it ASAP since you're almost due, but you should look that up. Honestly, I have no idea what you do because my test was negative.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,273 Posts
If you are prepared for a UC then go for it. I personally wouldnt have a UC unless i took a neonatal CPR class, and had done a TON of reading on emergency childbirth. Do you have emergency herbs and tictures incase of complications? Just something to think about.

I think that if i was in your place and not prepared that i would go to the hospital and labor in the parking lot (or maybe a hotel down the street). When i was pushing and the baby was literally crowning i would then go in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
If you are thinking about being home and unassisted, can you look for a homebirth midwife? You may need to pay out of pocket but you'd have someone there with you. I am assuming you have Tricare and Tricare will pay for a CNM. Actually, they would possibly pay for a CPM too if you can work on getting her approved. There are even traveling midwives that have gone to other countries to help women. I'm not sure where you are at but there is a midwife on the ICAN list who went to Italy recently. Sounds she like had a grand time there too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard a story today of a woman who had a vbac on base because she waited until she was 8 cm before going in. Given that we are no were near prepared to do an unassisted homebirth I think waiting and laboring -even if in the parking lot- is the best solution.

Thank you for the responses. Given our day/age and all its hard to be told that as a pregnant woman I have no say in what happens to my body, kwim?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,520 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaenshyW View Post
Given that we are no were near prepared to do an unassisted homebirth I think waiting and laboring -even if in the parking lot- is the best solution.
: That's what I'd do too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DLM- We are actually in Italy (vicenza). I have talked with the tricare office and they have done nothing but give us a hard time about everything. The office is run by Italians and they are upset and say that since the doctors on base won't risk a vbac that the doctors/midwifes/physicians locally shouldn't have too either
.
The ob's office on base is so booked up its ridiculous. They have more pregnant women due right now than they have the space to accommodate for. I just called to try and change my next appointment to a sooner day to see about a referral for an off base midwife but they don't have the space to work me in (so my appt isn't until Friday).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
They won't "risk" a VBAC? But it's okay for them to risk your life??? Grrr..... And what is the military going to do if a c-section puts you out of commission for weeks? Will they let your dh off so that he can care for you and your children? Those are rhetorical questions but it makes me so mad. My dh was in OCS when I was pregnant with our 2nd baby. I wasn't even allowed to talk to him on the weekends he was away. He couldn't miss a weekend either so how the heck would I have care for a 3 year old and a newborn while recovering from major abdominal surgery? It's crazy b/c if you had any other type of surgery, they probably wouldn't "let" you do anything for yourself but no one really thinks of a c-section as surgery.

Would it be possible to contact area midwives to see whose available? Then see about getting a referral to one? I guess it depends on the area of Italy but I don't get the impression they are terribly mother-baby friendly (and considering you were flat out lied to would make be wary of local doctors). I seem to think that Italy has a pretty high c-section rate.


You certainly can plan to arrive ready to push. If that's your only option, I would go for it. The problem is going into labor before they want the schedule a c-section AND being sure that you are ready to push. I was rather surprised after laboring intensely at home for 24 hours that I was only 4cm upon arrival at the hospital. I was an hour away though so I didn't want to stay home until I actually felt the urge to push. It's easier, I'm sure, when you are closer to the hospital.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
UC VBAC, is IMO for people who are really, really geared up for it. I certainly wouldn't want that kind of responsibility with my 1st VBAC.

Is there a tribal area here on MDC for Italy? Maybe anyone on there could offer advice or recommendations? I second the idea of getting a doula - but I don't think they could necessarily advocate for you at the hospital. But they could certainly help you understand the ob's and nurses and the procedures they're going to try to force you into, so that you can make your decisions better. And definitely contact any area hb mw's and get their advice.

I'd also start getting your body ready - in case NO ONE will take you after 41-ish weeks. EPO, lots of sex, nipple stim, etc.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
im pretty sure that what is used to treat gbs in labor is a vaginal wash of Hibiclens, you can buy it online, but i dont know if youd be able to get it locally or soon enough
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,284 Posts
dlm has a good point. The hardest thing will be keeping the doc's hands off you if you don't go before 41 weeks. By 41 weeks they'll really be pushing you to get the ERCS. But, since it's military, they can't drop you, right? I mean, if you keep declining the C into 42, 43, 44 weeks, they can't deny you other prenatal coverage right? I would think it would be hectic and incredibly stressful, but they couldn't deny you weekly checkups...
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top