Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As short as I can make our history...

DS2 is 17 months, and has been sensitive to dairy/soy since day 1. Very colicky baby, fussy, but, as long as I stuck to it, he seemed to do ok. DH could always tell when I was "testing" him or if he fed him something he shouldn't have - No skin issues, rashes, it was all in his belly and nightwaking. He'd either have explosive, foul, thick poop, or he'd be so constipated that I would need to give him something to help things along (juice sometimes did the trick). But, I can't seem to find a pattern to it.

He never was a big nurser, he was one of those kids you had to wake to eat, and coax him along a bit. He never was a comfort nurser, and I got the feeling he didn't enjoy eating. We tried some reflux meds, but didn't see much difference, so I stuck to the dairy/soy free. Never a big weight gainer, and really leveled off between 4 and 6 months, a bit too early for my comfort.

Recently things have been kicked up a bit. He's lost weight about a pound recently, and he's not walking. He's barely eating solids, and its not toddler fussiness, he just doesn't eat. It's like he's not hungry. He nurses about 2x a day, and then a bit during the night, esp lately with teeth. Has poor tone (kind of marshmellowy). Crawls like a maniac, cruises along things, but won't stand unassisted.

He hasn't tested pos as far as a RAST goes, and was neg for celiac, but his overall IgA was low, so from my understanding, this makes the celiac bloodwork is invalid. We recently started seeing a GI who is suspecting a malabsorption issue, and told us to get off of eggs as well. We talked about cutting gluten out as well. We did tons of stool spec's and learned that his reducing substance was positive and we are still waiting on a few more results (elastase being the big one).

He's got such a food adversion that we are now in EI and seeing a feeding team at the GI's. He's back on reflux meds, and I do think they are helping a bit.

We are going on Friday to have Applied Kinesiology done to see what come up there.

Thoughts? Ideas? At this point I'm feeling kind of lost...and scared.

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
Have you ever tried a full elimination diet? I would start there- cut out dairy, soy, eggs, gluten, peanuts/tree nuts, fish/shellfish, corn, nightshade veggies, citrus, food dyes/preservatives, refined sugars, etc.

Keep a detailed food journal. Write down everything you both eat, and any change in symptoms- from skin to digestion to sleep and behavior. Cut out those foods for at least 2-3 weeks and see what happens. If you notice huge improvements, you can start adding foods back in- one at a time, no more than one new food per week.

Also watch out for hidden ingredients- check my blog for lists (link in sig). Things like deli meat or the wax on non-organic produce can have dairy in them.

I would also work on gut healing for both of you- vitamin C (I use TwinLab Allerg-C, it's the only one not derived from corn), bone broths, CLO, dairy-free probiotics (Kirkman, Klaire, Pharmax) or a whole food probiotic like water kefir or homemade sauerkraut, maybe digestive enzymes as well.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Hello Monocyte

monocyte is a dear, dear IRL friend.

Can you give us any more clues about your son's health, or your own?

What supplements have you routinely been taking?

How is your thyroid?

signs of midline issues?

general question - how does a doc determine a malabsorption issue? what can a family do nutritionally to help?

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Is there a family history of allergies? mental health disorders? Parkinson's disease? behavioral disorders (ADD/ADHD)? any children on the spectrum? addictions? heart problems? clotting problems (including strokes)? autoimmune disorders?
Do you have any dental amalgams?
Was there ever any blood in his stool?
There is another antibody (IgG) which is just starting to be recognized as a potential problem. Testing for this antibody is usually an ELISA but, like every allergy test, it's not perfect.
Are you anemic at all? Do you take any medications? Did you take any medications while you were pregnant?
Do you have any adverse reactions to foods at all? Does his dad?

I know that's a LOT of questions, but I'm trying to get a feel for what kind of detox systems you (and your child) may have inherited as well as what kind of toxic load you're dealing with. This may very well point to what kind of nutritional therapies may assist, assuming that you're dealing with a blocked detox pathway and/or nutritional deficiencies.

ETA: And no, I'm not a health professional in any capacity. We've just been studying a lot of nutritional and detox stuff in the forum recently.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
zinc!
your post screamed zinc deficiency.
low appetite, refusing to nurse/eat
zinc def. has been linked to anorexia/low appetite
i'm typing one-handed right now but i will try to dig up some stuff

does he have any white specks on his finger nails? inflamed cuticles? i'll come back with more in a minute

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
forgot to mention. dd had severe iron-deficiency anemia by 10 months..within a couple days of supp'ing we saw a diff. in her moods/sleep/activity-level

come to find out last year at age 5 that she has celiac. We did the stool test with enterolab.com

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
never -One thing I do know that monocyte has mentioned to me is that his stools are light colored - hmmm what else, I don't remember - maybe floats? Can you clarify this monocyte?
whatever it was, reminded me of ella's bile issue, which is a hcl issue, which is/can be a zinc issue. Am I on the right path?

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
It can be a sign of low zinc, yes, but it may also be a symptom of Celiac disease. The question is WHY is his zinc low, not just "what are the deficiencies?" but why are they happening?

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
hmmm your right JR - so is it a malabsorption issue within him? or something he inherited from mom?
Right, but you can't really figure that out until you have a more complete picture than just "he has low zinc"... which is why I bombarded questions.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I agree about finding out WHY. Zinc being low was just the first thing that came to mind.

I don't see anything wrong with supp'ing some things you think might be deficient while simultaneously finding out the cause though
: YMMV

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
I agree about finding out why, zinc being low was just the first thing that came to mind. I don't see anything wrong with supp'ing some things you think might be deficient while simultaneously finding out the cause though
:
The problem is that there may be other deficiencies which are preventing use of zinc or which may be exacerbated by supping zinc alone.

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mammo2Sammo View Post
never -One thing I do know that monocyte has mentioned to me is that his stools are light colored - hmmm what else, I don't remember - maybe floats? Can you clarify this monocyte?
whatever it was, reminded me of ella's bile issue, which is a hcl issue, which is/can be a zinc issue. Am I on the right path?
Subbing and waiting for answers to JR's questions

Light colored floating stools usually mean fat malabsorption - and the question is why. I can think of bile issues and/or villi damage off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more. Bile issues can be more than just HCl issues, too.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
Subbing and waiting for answers to JR's questions

Light colored floating stools usually mean fat malabsorption - and the question is why. I can think of bile issues and/or villi damage off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's more. Bile issues can be more than just HCl issues, too.
I think light-colored and floating are separate problems. My daughter tends toward light-colored poop, and I think it's lack of bile due to bad bacterial balance (apparently some bacteria can consume the bile, this seems to be the issue for us, because if I really push the kimchee, her poop gets brown). Floating poop is often fat malabsorption I believe. I use these two sites, plus old posts from JaneS, to figure out poop issues.

http://www.enzymestuff.com/rtstools.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Stool_Scale

·
Registered
6,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLopez View Post
I think light-colored and floating are separate problems. My daughter tends toward light-colored poop, and I think it's lack of bile due to bad bacterial balance (apparently some bacteria can consume the bile, this seems to be the issue for us, because if I really push the kimchee, her poop gets brown). Floating poop is often fat malabsorption I believe. I use these two sites, plus old posts from JaneS, to figure out poop issues.
We don't have that issue here, so I'm not as confident as you but...
Bile is needed to properly digest fat (it emulsifies it), and is what gives color. And floating can be caused by various things, including fat in the stool. I've heard of the combo pointing to fat malabsorption.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Something strikes me in reference to the conversation that I had with firefaery/Panserbjorne/sonnambula yesterday. She was talking about fairy children... when the spirit doesn't fully enter the body at birth. This could be some of the not eating/not walking thing.

Otherwise, AK sounds like a good thing for you. I don't know what reducing substance is... but I would DEFINITELY go gluten free right away, in addition to your milk/soy free. And yeah, you might as well throw eggs out too.

Malabsorption is complex and kind of snowballs things... I don't see anything wrong in supplementing zinc (at the very least) and anything else you can get into him. My DD takes liquid minerals twice a day (and liquid zinc too) and a bunch of other things. Does he show other signs of malabsorption, like peeling fingernails, dull dry hair, poor dental enamel, delayed dentition?

I think one of the things that was really key for our recovery, was boosting my nutrient status as high as possible (my DD is still nearly EBF at 20 months) with green juices, nutrient tea (nettles infusions at the very least), liver and tons of supplements.

How is your iodine level?

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by whoMe View Post
We don't have that issue here, so I'm not as confident as you but...
Bile is needed to properly digest fat (it emulsifies it), and is what gives color. And floating can be caused by various things, including fat in the stool. I've heard of the combo pointing to fat malabsorption.
It seems like it could be basically one issue, I was just trying to say (poorly) that it could also be two unrelated ones, so that's something to consider as well. I mean, since our recent stomach bug, my son's poop has been floating, but still its normal brown. I hope (assume) that's transient and will correct in another couple days.

·
Premium Member
11,488 Posts
OP, a couple things. 1--have you done any structural work, things like chiropractic or cranial-sacral? Some kids with reflux and gagging issues with eating improve with those. My son had some mild alignment issues when he was little, and his nursing and sleeping improved with chiro visits.

My daughter clearly has issues with gluten, but I doubt celiac is the cause, she doesn't have any family history that fits with that. Gluten seems so problematic for so many people in such different ways that I'd just yank it. It's a pain, no doubt, it's been 21 mos for us, but GF is doable and then you hopefully will get a clearer picture of what's going on. Thing is--it sounds like maybe several things are piling on, and if you can start working on a few, then the remaining ones will hopefully be more obvious.

Zinc, I've read that blood tests looking at red blood cells can see zinc deficiency. I've been fine looking at our symptoms and _my_ health issues (the kids' issues are just kid-size reflections of my health, and vice versa, which is why Jacqueline was asking about your health, any conditions, issues, unexplained oddities). And although finding a root cause for low zinc is important, sometimes just supplementing to start fixing things (if digestion is really messed up, you may not absorb it well, but digestion won't get better if it's bad partly because you're so low in zinc) is a way to peel back the layers of issues.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.