Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I took one 500mg gel orally yesterday and within 2 hours, I started cramping (never happens) and my BHs picked up.  This went on intensely for about 4 hours and I felt mild twinges for a couple more.  Now, my body is sensitive to *everything*, so it's not a huge surprise.  I was going to take one 500mg gel every other day to deal with scar tissue, but I'll need to wait a few weeks.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm a bit nervous to use it vaginally at 36 weeks, as I'm a VBA2C and didn't respond well to prostaglandins on my cervix with my first labor.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyone else have unusual reactions to such a gentle oil?</p>

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<p>I guess I'm just really odd then lol</p>

·
Registered
418 Posts
<p>Nope, you're not that odd.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Apparently while it's somewhat rare to have that kind of reaction, it's not unheard.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>When I was trying to get pregnant this time around, I took EPO by mouth for several days and was completely convinced that I had the stomach flu for those couple of days until I looked up possible side effects, saw what they were, stopped the EPO, and the symptoms went away.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>But I'm just about 39 weeks now and have been using the EPO every other day for the last 5 days or so, without any negative side effects.  I wouldn't worry about using it vaginally, since it's very gentle and semen is a much stronger prostaglandin and I assume plenty of women with VBAC have sex during pregnancy, even late pregnancy.</p>

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>Thank you, mama!</p>

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
<p>I don't think that it's odd at all.  I was prepping for an herbal induction so that my husband would be around for the birth of our third and oral EPO gave me tons of contractions.  I was to take it from 36 weeks on and had to stop after 3 days when we noticed that the EPO was causing hefty contractions.  I ended up taking it orally for 2 days before the induction and then on the cervix the day of the induction and had a 3.5 hour labor.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So, not odd at all.</p>

·
Registered
456 Posts
<p>IIRC, when taking EPO to increase/enhance cervical mucus you take it only through ovulation, then stop taking it after ovulation because it is known to cause uterine cramping/contracting.  Definitely not unusual.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts