Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I need someone to talk me down... I have had quite a lot of discharge since the beginning of this pregnancy (in fact, I tend to use a liner most days even when I am not pregnant.) I think I've had a yeast infection once, a long time ago, but no history of infections.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>During this pregnancy the discharge has been almost watery, and I would describe the color as creamy-yellowish. Although I just presented a used liner to my husband (what a guy!) and he actually described it as very light brown (thanks, DH, just what I needed to hear.) The smell over the last few days has become a bit - well, ripe, is the best word I can come up with. I panicked and jumped on Google and nearly had a heart attack when I read about bacterial vaginosis. But this has symptoms of gray-white discharge (which I don't have) and a distinctly fishy smell. My DH and I agree that the smell isn't fishy, exactly, but certainly "off". I don't have any itching or burning.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any idea what this may be? I have my last appointment with an RE on Tuesday (with an ultrasound) but I am not due to have my first midwife appointment until December 14. I am 13 weeks pregnant. I think I will call my midwives first thing and see if they can see me this week. Until then I panic every time I go to the bathroom.</p>

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
<p>It's totally normal to have an increase in discharge and general lubrication during pregnancy. I never get EWCM or super creamy CM when I'm TTC, so one of the ways I know conception worked is when my CM changes to become super fertile like. :)</p>
<p>Also, unless the smell is distinctly fishy or obviously infectous, that ripe smell is probably just you noticing the smell more... now that your olfactory senses are much improved. ;) The smell of normal vaginal discharge ranges from metallic to benign to sweet to slightly sour. It can also mix with sweat, or leaked urine... but believe me the smell of an infection is pretty clear, plus your discharge is rather distinctly cheesey.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>It's normal!</p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
<p>It could just be an increase in mucous production up there.  Or, more likely,  there could just be a little bit of old blood in the discharge, creating the color and increase in odor.  The color and odor are still in the realm of normalish for any woman, pregnant or no, so you are probably fine, particularly if you aren't itchy. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think it's fine to wait until Tuesday to ask about it.</p>

·
Registered
220 Posts
<p>Not to worry you, but make sure you don't have any symptoms of a UTI.  I read just last night that sometimes discharge can mean an undiagnosed UTI.  Here was the site, <a href="http://www.pregnancy-baby-care.com/articles/171/during-pregnancy/mucus-discharge-during-pregnancy.html" target="_blank">http://www.pregnancy-baby-care.com/articles/171/during-pregnancy/mucus-discharge-during-pregnancy.html</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>Although, it says about yellow or green mucus.  Anyway, it said that the UTI is the most common culprit.  I don't think you have anything to worry about, but always better safe.  Best of luck.</p>

·
Registered
496 Posts
<p>I wouldn't worry too much. I even get yellow tinged but it's in the realm of normal for me and I know I don't have a uti. I believe some of it is from the mucus plug forming .</p>

·
Registered
91 Posts
<p>Vag discharge is totally different during pregnancy. There is way more of it and it does smell differently.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Working in L&D triage we have seen some really funky stuff, sorry to be explicit but here's what to watch out for ... thick, sludgy discharge (almost like a paste and alot of it), dc in weird colors, chartreuse or green, frothy discharge, discharge that smells really fishy or foul or rotten or "infected". Yeast smells a little different, more like yogurt, a "nutty cheese" lol or baked bread, and when its out of control the vag can be itchy and raw. Burning when you pee, pain with intercourse, cramping stronger than the usual braxton hicks, bleeding or spotting after intercourse, can all be signs of infection. Honestly ladies BV smells pretty foul, if you had a strong case of it you would probably know. Weds is plenty soon for a visit I think unless you have the above symptoms.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Also, worst case scenario, it is BV, very common, very easy to treat, no big deal.</p>
<p><br>
Good luck!<br>
K<br>
 </p>

Reactions: homestyle

·
Registered
195 Posts
<p>DDCC</p>
<p> </p>
<p>A friend had something similar to you - lots of discharge to the point of soaking through clothes (so had to use pantiliner), major odor issues that made her self-conscious, etc.  Her doctor said it was leukorrhea which is normal.  I looked online just now and leukorrhea is described as more thin, milky, mild smelling, but that's what her doc said it was anyway.</p>

·
Registered
105 Posts
<p>Wow, I'm so glad you started this thread. I am almost 12 weeks and have noticed pretty much the exact same thing - yellowish discharge, sometimes almost brownish. I was worried I was spotting, but I'm starting to think it's pretty common, partially thanks to what I'm reading here.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I'm not sure about the smell, but I will agree with previous posters that you really will know if you have BV. I fought BV on and off for a year, and the smell was bad and unmistakable. My husband joked that we'd need to start wearing those old fashioned swimmer's nose plugs if we wanted to have sex, and I felt like I could smell it even with my clothes on!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ps: I'm in the same floating period between the last RE appointment and the first midwife appointment. It's a little nerve wracking, right?!</p>

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<p>Thanks, everyone! I did have it checked out and the doctor found no evidence of either BV or a yeast infection. Funnily enough, I didn't wear a pantyliner yesterday and the smell was much better. I wonder if the interaction between the discharge and the liner is actually contributing to the smell? Anyway, I feel much better.</p>

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
<p>The liner could totally be contribuiting to the smell.  If you do need a liner, try a couple different kinds.  There are a few that just don't work for me, they smell awful.  The pantyliner itself does when it comes into contact with discharge, not the discharge itself.  I'll sometimes opt to wear a pad instead because they don't seem to do that to me!</p>

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
<p>The pantyliner might be trapping the moisture as well. Try a cloth one!</p>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts