Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How tragic and sad for this little girl and her family.

She is currently in an induced coma-like state where they project she will be for at least 6 weeks. Recovery is expected to take 6 months.

Remy is on a ventilator to control her breathing, as the muscle spasms can restrict her airway. She is in a twilight paralyzed state, she is conscious and can hear everyone around her. She can squeeze our hand to answer questions and nod yes or no. The spasms are triggered by bright light, loud talking or excitement so she wears an eyemask and earplugs to subside the surroundings. She has a "projection" of 6 weeks in this state depending upon the control of the muscle spasms. When the doctors determine they can wean her off of the sedation, they will determine if she is still having the muscle spasms, if she is not then we can remove the ventilator and proceed with recovery and rehabilitation.

Remy's rehabilitation is going to be long and require heavy involvement from family and friends. They are "projecting" 6 months or longer. We are anticipating weekly PT, follow up doctors appointments, tutoring, medications and counselling. She will need to learn how to do almost everything again. Due to the muscle spasms and how they can be agitated, she cannot do any physical therapy while under sedation. Please follow more details on her CaringBridge.org site.
[gofundme link removed]

A (non-vaccine) friend of the mother was helping answer questions and said the girl was not vaccinated. Her mother's facebook page includes "likes" to Vaxxed, books by Sherri Tenpenny, etc.

The link says the wound was so insignificant that they don't even know what it was and that there was nothing visible on her by the time she started developing symptoms. I think stories like this are important to highlight the misconception that you need a serious and/or deep puncture wound to develop tetanus. A simple scratch can result in tetanus, and pricks from rose thorns are one of the most common routes of transmission.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd be happy to correct any misinformation.

My guess is that if you are coming onto a vaccinate on schedule forum calling us sheep, you are probably not in favor of vaccines.

Best wishes for the health of your daughter.

·
Registered
343 Posts
My prayers are with this girl. Tetanus is definitely scary. I fear we will see more resurgence of things like this in the future as vaccine levels drop (albeit slightly). I will hug my babies a bit tighter tonight. And tomorrow I take them for their flu vaccines.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I hate it when this kind of thing happens. So tragic for this little girl. So avoidable.

·
Administrator
2,056 Posts
I cannot leave GoFundMe links in the thread, so if anyone wants to read the story they will need to search Google for the wording within the quote.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot leave GoFundMe links in the thread, so if anyone wants to read the story they will need to search Google for the wording within the quote.
The gofundme was actually taken down yesterday.

Reactions: Administrator
1 - 8 of 8 Posts