Mothering Forum banner

What would you choose?

• Get all 4 shots at one appt (DTaP, Polio, Hep B, MMR)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get Pediarix Combo (DTaP, Hep B, Polio), and then later get MMR

• Pairs #1 (DTaP & Hep B, then Polio & MMR) only 1 shot with higher risks at each appt

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Pairs #2 (DTaP & Polio, then Hep B & MMR) only 1 alum shot each visit

• Split all 4 shots up and space them 4-5 days apart

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am having to vaccinate my 5 year old child who has not been previously vaccinated. She will only need the following shots:

DTaP
Polio
Hep B
MMR

In other circumstances I would have spread these all out individually and months apart, however, I'm in a time crunch and can only space the 1st dose of shots out by only 18 days.

I have a few choices..

1. Do them all individually spacing them a few days apart
2. Do them in pairs 18 days apart
3. Do the combo shot Pediarix (DTaP, Polio. Hep B) at 1st appt and then MMR 18 days later
4. Do them all at one appt

As of now I think I am going to pair up the shots into 2 appts 18 days apart. I'm having a hard time deciding which ones to pair together. Originally I wanted to do DTaP & Polio and then MMR & Hep B together. But after reading Dr Sears list of vaccines in order of reactivity (pg 207) and the "Vaccines at a glance" page.. I'm realizing Hep B may be more worrisome than DTaP. The other option is to do DTaP & Hep B together but both are aluminum containing shots and I had hoped to seperate those 2.

Would you do Hep B & Polio and then DTaP & MMR?

My concern with the Pediarix combo shot is that there is more aluminum in it than if I was to do individual shots of DTaP and Hep B.

Any advice?

·
Premium Member
2,201 Posts
DTaP and hep b then MMR and polio is what I'd do personally.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Probably DTaP and Polio first. Then Hep B. Then MMR. My logic is based on what I read of hep B reactivity (so keep it separate) and what the nurse told us re: MMR…that it can often cause a fever about 10 days afterwards, so I'd save that one for very last. If you do it first, you might have a LO spiking a fever and under the weather when you're trying to do the other vaxes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts