Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a problem with keeping weight on due to breastfeeding. I'm hesitant to tell anybody 'professional' (dr., nutritionist, etc.) for fear of the bf backlash. My mother and dh are on my case enough as it is about trying to gain weight. Here's the deal, I have a very petite frame, I was 5' and a pretty steady 102 lbs. before pregnancy. I had a hard time gaining weight and was even put on nutritional shakes until my 3rd trimester when the weight started coming on, I eventually gained 35 lbs. DD was born last January and I was back to prebaby size by 3 or 4 months postpartum without any effort on my behalf. This was all fine and dandy, except the weight didn't stop coming off. Here we are at 11 months and I'm probably 95 or so, and I'm struggling just to maintain that amount. I feel like I look skeletal and I'd love at least a good 10 pounds back, way easier said than done. I've watched my weight steadily drop over the past few months and I feel helpless to stop it. I don't know what to do to keep/put the weight on. I want to keep bf'ing and I want to be as healthy as possible for dd, and this really isn't healthy. I try eating foods with a heavier fat content, but nothing seems to really work. Sugar is what puts on weight, and I've resorted to eating/drinking more of it, but I feel horrible about it. I try to eat more at meals, but it justs makes me uncomfortably full and I go longer between meals. HELP!

I've been eating, cheese, milk, yogurt, crackers, sandwiches, juice, the carnation nutritional drinks, pasta, peanut butter, nuts, etc.

I've heard of coconut milk but I also heard it was expensive, and I'm not crazy about avacados. Any advice would be much appreciated
TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
SO wish I had that problem!
Just kidding, I'm sure it's really frustrating for you, especially when you're trying to be as healthy as possible. Just wanted to say that we love using coconut milk. We use it in so much. One thing we do is bake some sweet potatoes, mash them and then mix them in with a bit of red curry paste and coconut milk. It helps to simmer the coconut milk with the curry paste before adding it to the potatoes to blend the paste in nicely. Once you mix that in, if you're so inclined, you can put it in a casserole dish and drizzle a bit of maple syrup and a few dots of butter on top and put it under the broiler until it gets sizzley, brown. So yummy! Coconut milk may be a bit on the pricey side, but IMO, a little bit goes a long way, and you can store what you don't use in a jar in the fridge for a little while. BTW, DS loves cocnut milk mixed in to his sweet potatoes, too!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
I am in the same boat as you! I am 5'5 and now weigh 115 my size 4 jeans are falling off and I am not happy about it but I am not going to stop bf because of it. This last week I have started to cook with coconut oil as it has a very high fat content but it is a healthy fat like avocados. I am like you in that I eat really healthy but my dd also has food sensitivities I am trying to deal with and cook around. No results yet but I am looking for any ideas as well. I did buy a cooking traditional foods menu mailer and have been doing that for two weeks which has helped me with new dinner ideas so maybe that will help? Here is the website if you are interested. http://www.cookingtf.com/

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
I want to say that this post really makes me feel better. I am 14 weeks right now and have gained 15 pounds. I got a funny look from the MW--but I said, "I always gain a LOT, and then it just comes off really quick." Since it has been 9 years since ds was born, I almost forgot how much BF can literally take out of you. With DS and DD, by six months post partum, I was having trouble staying out of the "underweight" category and had to buy a swimming suit in the junior department. I think my body just knows it need to prepare and puts some away for later on my thighs.

Some things that helped me:

1.) Big breakfast--I mean lumberjack time, with two eggs and pancakes with lots of maple syrup (not the yucky Mrs. Butterworth's corn syrup, but the stuf from the tree) and butter (not margarine!).

2.) whole milk and whole milk yogurt. If you are OK with cow's milk, these things are high in fat, but still don't seem really heavy, so are easier to eat/drink a couple times a day between meals.

3.) You don't need to go to the gym--ever! When I am BF, I am usually walking around with a baby in the sling. You really don't ever need to do an exercise DVD or go to the gym, or walk arund a track. You just don't have the calories to burn.

4.) snack in bed before sleep. I hated this, but it really helped the sugar crash in the morning or middle of the night.

Hope you get some helpful suggestions. (I also have a male friend who was trying to gain weight and drank weight-loss shakes. He drank them before eating a reall meal. They are full of calories, but I think they taste yucky.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,271 Posts
Butter, full fat milk, olive oil, coconut oil (you can eat it with a spoon or mix it with almond butter), nut butters, bacon, cook meat in bacon grease, full fat yogurt and kefir, good cheese.....

whole grains, beans, lentils, meat, dark green veggies, nuts, honey.

big breakfast, snack, decent lunch, snack, and supper.

I wouldn't resort to eating junk. Sugar/crap is just robbing your body of minerals and even if it puts weight on- it just isn't good for you and your DC. If you are eating and drinking plenty of really good food and drink and your body isn't using it- I don't know what... I do know that after I had my DS I dropped 15 lbs from my prebaby weight. I had to actually tally calories to see what I was getting- big surprise- it was no where close to enough. Then I made sure that every single thing I ate was good wholesome food to grow on. A good rule that I made for my kids too. We only eat food to grow on.... (plus the occasional treat
) It took me upping my milk to almost 3 quarts/day and eating cheese and nuts for all my snacks to get 5 lbs put back on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thank you everyone for al lof your ideas. This has really helped me a lot to see other people with similar issues and to see all of these great suggestions. I'm definitely going to the grocery store soon to pick up some goodies, and hopefully I'll be packing on the pounds!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
15,952 Posts
I tend to get really skinny while bfing as well. I'm 5'5 and have gotten as low as 98 lbs before, but really try to stay around 110, which is hard! It takes effort on my part to make sure I get enough healthy, fatty foods, and that I eat constantly. DD1 was the one that I lost the most weight with, with DD2, I knew what I had to do and never got below 104.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
i'm there too. Money and time are also issues, plus the fact that I don't haver any back teeth, so it takes forever for me to eat and certain foods, like nuts, are out of the question. So are sweets, because the periodontal diosease means I have exposed dental nerves that are extremely sensitive to sweets, hot, and cold.

So the bottom line is that I look like crap, am frequently mistaken for a starving tragioc homeless woman, but my ten month old is round, chubby, squishy, healthy, and happy and since I don't get sick or tired or too weak to wear him, I just consider it a variation on normal.

I also haven't had the "anorexic look" after all of my babies, just some of them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaelynsMama View Post
I'm having a problem with keeping weight on due to breastfeeding. I'm hesitant to tell anybody 'professional' (dr., nutritionist, etc.) for fear of the bf backlash. My mother and dh are on my case enough as it is about trying to gain weight. Here's the deal, I have a very petite frame, I was 5' and a pretty steady 102 lbs. before pregnancy. I had a hard time gaining weight and was even put on nutritional shakes until my 3rd trimester when the weight started coming on, I eventually gained 35 lbs. DD was born last January and I was back to prebaby size by 3 or 4 months postpartum without any effort on my behalf. This was all fine and dandy, except the weight didn't stop coming off. Here we are at 11 months and I'm probably 95 or so, and I'm struggling just to maintain that amount. I feel like I look skeletal and I'd love at least a good 10 pounds back, way easier said than done. I've watched my weight steadily drop over the past few months and I feel helpless to stop it. I don't know what to do to keep/put the weight on. I want to keep bf'ing and I want to be as healthy as possible for dd, and this really isn't healthy. I try eating foods with a heavier fat content, but nothing seems to really work. Sugar is what puts on weight, and I've resorted to eating/drinking more of it, but I feel horrible about it. I try to eat more at meals, but it justs makes me uncomfortably full and I go longer between meals. HELP!

I've been eating, cheese, milk, yogurt, crackers, sandwiches, juice, the carnation nutritional drinks, pasta, peanut butter, nuts, etc.

I've heard of coconut milk but I also heard it was expensive, and I'm not crazy about avacados. Any advice would be much appreciated
TIA
I'm sure you already know that a mother exclusively breastfeeding one baby burns 500-700 calories/day. That's like walking ~4 miles/day.

It sounds like you've looked at your diet, and tried fattier foods. Are you snacking between meals? More importantly, are you eating when you're hungry?

I have heard that some illnesses have the symptom of rapid weight loss. Not saying that you're "sick". How do you feel? Do you have plenty of energy, and feel well overall?

If it were me, I might get a routine blood check just to make sure something is not out of balance.

But I also understand your concern that a doc would blame breastfeeding. I just checked the book "The Breastfeeding Answer Book", and there wasn't much about losing weight too quickly (it just suggested snacking more between meals). I'd have a hard time believing that your (excessive) weight loss is due to breastfeeding.

I'm 12 weeks post-partum with my 2nd, and ALMOST back to pre-pregnancy size. After my first, I got back to pre-pregnancy size by 4-5 months. I am currently nursing the 12 week old + 2 y/o toddler.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
No ideas, just another skinny mamma with saggy baggy bottom jeans here to commiserate. My mom was also a skinny when she bf us, but she was always able to get back to a normal weight when she weaned. Not that that helps now, but it is good to know that we won't always be skeletons. Maybe? Right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleBean View Post
I'm sure you already know that a mother exclusively breastfeeding one baby burns 500-700 calories/day. That's like walking ~4 miles/day.

It sounds like you've looked at your diet, and tried fattier foods. Are you snacking between meals? More importantly, are you eating when you're hungry?

I have heard that some illnesses have the symptom of rapid weight loss. Not saying that you're "sick". How do you feel? Do you have plenty of energy, and feel well overall?

If it were me, I might get a routine blood check just to make sure something is not out of balance.

But I also understand your concern that a doc would blame breastfeeding. I just checked the book "The Breastfeeding Answer Book", and there wasn't much about losing weight too quickly (it just suggested snacking more between meals). I'd have a hard time believing that your (excessive) weight loss is due to breastfeeding.

I'm 12 weeks post-partum with my 2nd, and ALMOST back to pre-pregnancy size. After my first, I got back to pre-pregnancy size by 4-5 months. I am currently nursing the 12 week old + 2 y/o toddler.

Thanks for your reply. I've always been very slim and had a good metabolism, so that on top of my avid nursling has done a number on me. Although I do at times feel exausted or fatigued, I feel safe saying that it probably isn't anymore than any other mom. I generally feel healthy and have a moderate energy level. DD is 11 mths and still nurses roughly every 2-3 hours day and night, sometimes she'll go up to 4-5 hours, and on hard days, she demands to nurse every hour. I've always nursed on demand. I'm the first to admit that my nutrition probably isn't up to par, but I do my best. I eat what I can when I can and I have taken steps to make sure that I have high fat + calorie content foods easily accessible. I snack a lot and I do eat when I'm hungry, often times though I find I don't "feel" hungry until I feel ill, so I think my hunger signals are a bit skewed, but I'm working on that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
I am 5' and was 100 lbs before I got pregnant. I gained 35 lbs, and basically lost it by the time my daughter was 6-7 months. Like you, I kept loosing weight! I dont know what my lowest weight was (I didn't want to know...) but I like to think perhaps 88 lbs... Anyway, my family was really concerned and wanted me to wean, but we werent ready.

Things that helped me: Almonds, yogurt, and I resumed drinking 'crazy' amounts of whole milk (it was one of the things I lived on while I was pregnant...). And in general, just tried to eat more - as much as I possibly could. I was tempted by junk food, but did avoid it. I didn't want to pass it on to dd, and I learned while I was pregnant that it made me feel terrible as well. Somehow I managed to keep a steady weight and to even gain a few pounds. Then in the summer I found a recipe for cottage cheese smoothies - and advice that cottage cheese is an excellent way to gain weight! I also made a vegetable soup consisting mostly of sweet potato, squash, carrots, red lentils, and rice. So those are the main two things that I lived on (and ok, fruit and icecream - I did cave there...). I think by september/october I was back to 100 lbs.

It was 9 months total from when my weight really dropped, reached its lowest peak, stablized, and is now pre-pregnacy. I would say it took 6 months to gain my weight back.

Let me know if you woud like those recipes and I will post them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
91 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaelynsMama View Post
Thanks for your reply. I've always been very slim and had a good metabolism, so that on top of my avid nursling has done a number on me. Although I do at times feel exausted or fatigued, I feel safe saying that it probably isn't anymore than any other mom. I generally feel healthy and have a moderate energy level. DD is 11 mths and still nurses roughly every 2-3 hours day and night, sometimes she'll go up to 4-5 hours, and on hard days, she demands to nurse every hour. I've always nursed on demand. I'm the first to admit that my nutrition probably isn't up to par, but I do my best. I eat what I can when I can and I have taken steps to make sure that I have high fat + calorie content foods easily accessible. I snack a lot and I do eat when I'm hungry, often times though I find I don't "feel" hungry until I feel ill, so I think my hunger signals are a bit skewed, but I'm working on that.
We all do the best we can! Especially with little ones, Mama is usually the last to be cared for! I understand the hunger sneaking up out of no where...thirst is the same way for me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sunshine1793, I would love those recipes! They do sound great and thanks for the advice. It's nice to know there are many others who have dealt with this issue successfully. Out of curiosity, in your cottage cheese smoothie, do the 'chunks' get whipped out or are you drinking them?

Simplebean, thank your reply + support
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,839 Posts
Just wanted to say I'm right there with you. 5'7", 118. Didn't even get/maintain a pregnancy until I made it to 123. Went up to 179 while pregnant, and lost it all by 5 mos pp. And then lost even more when I gave up wheat, eggs, dairy and nuts for DS allergies.

Coconut milk and coconut oil - add oil to everything you can think of
keep snacks everywhere - purse, car, diaper bag, office...
nut butters on everything - apples, bananas, bread, rice cakes...
full-fat dairy, ice cream every day
full breakfast + buckwheat pancakes and a MEAT (sausage, bacon)
smoothies with coconut milk/oil, flax seeds, peanut butter, a banana, full-fat yogurt...drink those calories!

I'm watching this thread for responses. Thank you for posting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
This is the site that I found 8 months ago, featuring all the wonderful things you can make with cottage cheese: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=23

It also has weight training advice and other nutrition advice.

My Cottage Cheese & Fruit Smoothie

1/2 c cottage cheese (I used dry curd b/c there was more protein and 'simpler' ingredients, but use what you like. The dry curd may be too dry; it gives the smoothie an interesting texture though.)
1 cup blueberries, frozen
a few big strawberries, frozen
1 tbsp sugar
1 cup whole milk

Add all ingredients to a blender, and blend until smooth. Serve.

My Rice Vegetable Soup

1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1-2 stalks of celery, chopped
1-3 carrots, chopped
6 cups of vegetable both
1 small to medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped
1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
1/2 to 3/4 cups short grain brown rice
1/4 to 1/2 cup red lentils
water to cover
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper
italian seasoning or basil/oregano if you like.

Saute the onion in the oil until translucent/clear. Add garlic and celery. Add carrots and broth. Add sweet potato and squash. Add rice and lentils. Add water to cover the vegetables, and season to your taste. Boil until veggies are tender or soft, and rice is cooked. 45 min to 1 hour 15 min.

I hope you enjoy these recipes!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
895 Posts
i am also in the same boat! i feel horrible about my body now, very self-conscious and i hate! it when people comment on how "too skinny" i am...like i dont already know... pre-preggo i was having trouble gaining weight at 5'5 and 115, however i did at least have muscle and a non-saggy tush. i am back to that weight 7 months pp and now have a saggy tushy
such a bummer....i agree with the full fat dairy thing as i had ice cream every night while preggo, however, i'm pretty sure that dairy aggravates my baby and makes him congested, not something i want to risk during the winter months or anytime for that matter.

any weight gain advice aside from dairy???

i thought about weight gain supplement powders, but i dont want soy while breastfeeding and am weary of unknown ingredients...

also, is it just me, or isn't it difficult to make food for ourselves while we're constantly caring for our little one??

in any event, it's nice to know others are feeling the same way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
also, is it just me, or isn't it difficult to make food for ourselves while we're constantly caring for our little one??
QUOTE]

I feel the EXACT same way! It's so hard somtimes to take good care of ourselves while taking good care of them! =/ I know I use a lot of dairy to try to gain weight. I got the gist from your post that you're weary of allergens, but I use nuts a lot too. I would also reccommend orange juice, juice in general, bananas, avacados and flax.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
659 Posts
well i dont have this problem but i notice i gain weight easily by eating too many carbs. so maybe stock up on whole grain carb meals?

also, i read that consuming 2-3 tablespoons of coconut oil (i know what you said.. but you can put it in smoothies, food, desserts, etc) will regulate your weight to the weight you "should" be at. plus it is loaded with nutrients.

have you considered it being a hyperthyroid issue?
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top