Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter will be starting Kindergarten this fall and we are all so excited! We have her lunchbox (Supergirl) and a few of her supplies purchased already. She loves doing her kindergarten "homework", which really are just the fun Kindergarten level workbooks you can get a Costco. She is mastering so many of the skills they have in the books! She talks a lot about what she'll do in kindergarten, and really is excited about learning. She has even started reading some Level 1 books!!!

The fun for me is that because our school district requires uniforms, I am making hers. I found fabric that is nearly identical to the uniform fabric for $2 a yard. I bought 9 yards. It's amazing how much money I am saving!! All she needs now are the rest of her school supplies and one good pair of shoes to start the year with.

Any other mamas of up and coming kinders want to share their thoughts about this new adventure in parenting?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
My dd is about to turn 4. this will be her first year of kindergarten as well, but since we are homeschooling it will be pretty different! But, I am so excited about this new advernture. I was HSed myself so the concept itself is not new to me but this is my first time being on the other end of it.

So far, our curriculum includes;

Library; story hour, craft time
Science North with our HS group (workshops)
lots of playdates!
running around outside, exploring the bush
playgroup
JK workbooks if she feels like it!

Can't wait to get started!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Another up and coming K kid here. Nicholas will also be homeschooled. We use a virtual academy and he will be joining my other three in the journey starting in Aug.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
The fun for me is that because our school district requires uniforms, I am making hers. I found fabric that is nearly identical to the uniform fabric for $2 a yard. I bought 9 yards.

Some schools around here have uniforms as well... the problem is if you dont have the exact correct thing they get sent home and you need to purchase the right outfits... for example if the plaid is off by a bit or the wrong material its 'wrong' in the eyes of the school...

also those schools with uniforms have rules and guidelines about lunchboxes and bookbags.. what is allowed... one school in particular has a 'no characters or designs' policy... meaning solid colors for everything...

now that being said my kids are homeschooled so i dont know your school specifics but you may want to double check with the school office before you start sewing.

im glad dd is looking forward to staring school and im sure she will have a blast

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My DD is starting kindergarten in Sept. - I can't believe it. I am excited and sad at the same time. Excited because I have found school that I love and think will be a very good fit for her - it is an independent school so doesn't have to adhere to any particular philosophy. Here is its website:http://www.villageschool.to

It's going to be a big adjustment for all of us. She has been home with me and her little brother this past year (she went to preschool 2 mornings a week when she was 3) and it has been wonderful. They are so close, I think it is going to be hardest on Georgie when Carmella isn't around in the morning, so I will have to keep us busy. She only goes 8:30 - 12, so at least she will be home in the afternoons.

She is excited and sad at the same time. She doesn't really want to go to school, I know she would prefer to homeschool, but I have to go back to work because we are struggling so much on one income...yada yada yada

so mixed feelings here I guess..

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
My ds is soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited! I don't really know why & I'd have been happy to homeschool if he'd wanted.
We bought his K backpack a couple of day ago.... pure delight.

Funny thing...I have done absolutely NOTHING academic EVER with him and yet he can already pass the district tests we do at the end of kinder. (I'm a K teacher on leave.)

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1growingsprout
The fun for me is that because our school district requires uniforms, I am making hers. I found fabric that is nearly identical to the uniform fabric for $2 a yard. I bought 9 yards.

Some schools around here have uniforms as well... the problem is if you dont have the exact correct thing they get sent home and you need to purchase the right outfits... for example if the plaid is off by a bit or the wrong material its 'wrong' in the eyes of the school...

also those schools with uniforms have rules and guidelines about lunchboxes and bookbags.. what is allowed... one school in particular has a 'no characters or designs' policy... meaning solid colors for everything...

now that being said my kids are homeschooled so i dont know your school specifics but you may want to double check with the school office before you start sewing.

im glad dd is looking forward to staring school and im sure she will have a blast

Oh I always check and recheck before I do anything. But thanks for the heads up
We do have regulations, but most do not apply to the K-3 group. There are no regulations on lunchboxes. We have the district requirements and I have called about making my own uniforms. They were shocked, thinking it would take a long time to do, but it has been a breeze!

mummy marja~ your curriculum sounds fun! I'm sure it will be a blast for both you and you babe.

Houdini~ virtual academy? Now THAT sounds interesting.

cgmom~ oooh! The Village School sounds really neat. I love their curriculum concepts, and it just seems like the children will have grand adventrues there. I understand the bummer of having to work when you really want to be with your children. I would love to homeschool Kailey

BusyMommy~ Kailey passed the K test with a 98% and that was without any "formal" preparation either. The only two things she missed were that should couldn't identify her ankle or her wrist (but when asked by another K teacher she could?) but we couldn't get points for it. Which is fine because I don't want her to be bored in kindergarten and then get into mischief.

Although we are excited about kindergarten, we are going to miss each other like crazy! (she's been with me every day at work this summer).

·
Registered
992 Posts
Can I join? My ds will be starting K in late August and I'm FREAKING out!!! He is excited and I know he will love it and do great, but I'm just so nervous about the whole thing and sad that my first baby is growing up. I'm trying to be happy and excited about it for him though.

He has a big Sponge Bob backpack from his past 2yrs. of preschool, and we went and got his school supplies earlier this month. Every couple of weeks he gets a 'fun pack' from his new school/teacher and we have been working on those, and he really enjoys the games and worksheets as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
*raising my hand* I'm in...my ds is starting k this year after a year in all day bilingual prek.....He's so excited and can't wait to go and play in the "big kids playground" (they separate prek from the k-3 population on the bus, in the lunchroom and with different playground areas). I am a teacher and I know he will be fine, but I am incredibly sad as he grows up and becomes more independent (we are extremely attached).

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Sarah and Maat!

Kailey and I are joined at the hip as well, and have been since her birth
If I sit down and think about various negative situations I get all freaked out about it!

It seems like just yesterday that she was 3 and now here we are getting ready to start her first year of school.

I'm nervous because we allow Kailey options and choices in her life. To give her a little control over herself, and I'm worried about how this may affect her mainstream education. We have talked to her about rules and such, but these are only words and we really won't know how she'll react until school starts. I'm worried about the bus ride to school. I remember being denied a seat next to someone because I was not popular or becuase I was fat. I don't want that for her (of course ALL of these thoughts are secret), so I am a little scared about that. What if she gets teased? What if she gets angry and doesn't handle herself appropriately? What if her teacher isn't nice or she doesn't understand Kailey's need to stay active and focused on a project?

You see the Waht ifs? They drive me crazy! I know I have contrived these situations and I doubt any of them will take place, but oy vay!

So, on a lighter note...

How many pairs of shoes are you buying at the beginning of the schol year? We thought we would start with a good pair of tennis shoes and see if we ned more.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Our kids need a designated pair of gym shoes that will always stay at school. In the fall, they'll just wear them for gym but in the winter, they'll change into them for the day; ie. instead of snow boots.

I think all of the parent apprehensions are normal but usually unwarranted. As I see it, the whole goal of K is to teach kids that school is FUN and instill a love of learning. Most K teachers are caring/kind and work very hard to teach/model fairness and respect for each other.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebird_Mama
Houdini~ virtual academy? Now THAT sounds interesting.
The virtual academy is basically public school at home. My kids still have all the requirements of public school kids including the state tests, but they get to be home. The curriculum is a classical approach which I really love. It is a combination of computer time (reading for science and history) and the rest is hands on or workbooks. It has been really great for us!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freebird_Mama

How many pairs of shoes are you buying at the beginning of the schol year? We thought we would start with a good pair of tennis shoes and see if we ned more.
We'll do one pair of good sneakers, and she needs a pair of "indoor" shoes/slippers to keep at school because they spend so much time outdoors they don't want them tracking mud & sand into the classroom. So we'll see how it goes. I've been told she'll need one or two pairs of good "mud" shoes, but I think I'll wait 'til the cooler weather hits to figure out what she'll need.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cg~ same here. 'NC has some crazy weather it isn't uncommon where we live to have 80 degree weather in December. it's all about layering. She might need boots, or she might not. I think we'll just play it by ear. I don't want to get caught up in our excitement and start buying her everythign she 'might' needs at the beginning of the year, only to find out later she didn't really need any of it.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
We start kindie over this way . We are homeschooling through a distance education program. We can follow as much or as little of the curriculum as we wish.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
DS starts K on August 1st! (Can you believe how early it starts here?) I wanted to homeschool him, but he has Aspergers and I am hoping that the Special Needs Kindy or the Autism class can help him out with some areas that he needs help in. Problem is, I dont know which of those classes he will be going into and they are at different schools, so he starts in one week and I dont know what class, teacher or school! Very stressful for me, as I am a planner.

Hopefully we will get it all figured out next week. He went to Sn prek last year and rode the bus and he loves it! So that wont be anything new for us. He had some challenges in preschool but went to summer school in June and did great. So we are hoping it works out for him. But if not, homeschooling is our backup plan.

·
Registered
325 Posts
We go to a year round school, so my daughter started KG last week.

Last Thursday was just an hour long meeting, mostly for the parents. Kaylee asked, "When do we get to do the fun stuff" since listening to the adults was pretty boring! I assured her that the "fun stuff" would start the next day.

On Friday they went on a "bear hunt" (they read that book...."We're going on a bear hunt") around their school looking for pictures of bears that the teacher hid. It was a way for them to kind of "tour" the school and get familiar.

She is LOVING it so far. This morning she told her Dad, "I can't wait to ride on the bus" while we were waiting for it to come. (She rides the bus to school and I pick her up to come home.)

This week they will mostly be working on learning classroom procedures and getting settled in to the school environment. She only goes 1/2 days.

·
Registered
432 Posts
My second dd starts kindergarten August 30th! I'm excited for her - she has a hard time with new kids/places so I hope it all goes ok. Her cousin happened to get the same teacher this year so that will be GREAT and help her look forward to the new school BIG TIME.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello,

My name is Deborah. I've been a lurker for awhile now, don't really post that much. Just wanted to chime in and say that my daughter, Tori, will be starting school on Aug 9It will be a hard adjustment for her because she doesn't do very well with changes. I think she'll like it once she gets use to it, but it will be a hard couple weeks of adjustment. We have bought clothes, shoes for her but not the supplies yet.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Wow, August 9th is early. My ds is starting kindergarten September 5th. We had a conversation about it last night. He seems both apprehensive and to be looking forward to it. He goes to two schools now--one is more like day care--and it is a full day, so I think kindergarten will actually be less stressful because he won't have to adjust to a different school every day and it is a shorter day. I am excited about it because it seems to be an excellent school. Getting him in to a school we wanted was the major thing in my and dh's lives for quite a while so we are both hugely relieved to have that whole thing over. Ds is going to be in a CTT (collaborative team teaching), or inclusive, classroom, which means that it has both a regular and a special education-trained teacher and there are both kids who have special needs and kids who do not. He's also changing from a special ed. classroom with a ratio of 12 kids, one teacher and two assistants at all times, to about 20 kids with two teachers, so that'll be an adjustment. As for the curriculum, it sounds like it will be a lot of stuff that will really bring out ds's love of drawing, making up stories, exploring the why and how of things. I worry some about the social aspect, as he is sensitive and gets upset easily by other kids, but am trusting he will get help with this. He will still be getting some therapy.

I have the feeling that we are really on the brink of something, though what exactly it is I'm not sure.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts