Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already do my blood pressure and keep an eye on my weight. Was wondering what those urine test strips are for, what do they test for and what do the results mean? Are they actually useful?
xx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,969 Posts
They're to check for protein in urine and glucose too.

Not sure how helpful they are. I have some but now that I'm seeing a midwife I don't need them. I would be willing to sell them for much cheaper than the new price. There must still be 100 in the box.

PM me if interested.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,712 Posts
They are pretty important imo. You really do want to check for sugar and protien, sugar can be a sign of GD and protien can be a sign of pre-e (of course just having them there doesn't mean you have either condition and both conditions have other symptoms). The strips also test for leukocytes, which are white blood cells and having a high amount of them could mean you have a UTI. The strips are easy to get yourself and a totally non invasive test, I think you should use them.

I don't know how to say this gently but I've seen this more than once on these boards....this is a fairly basic part of prenatal care. If you are doing your own care, knowing these things is important. Perhaps a little bit more research would be prudent. I'm not saying this to go against UC or UP in any way, I just think everyone should be informed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
I haven't done them the last 2 pregnancies. But, I have felt no need. If I felt something was off, I'm not opposed to them. If it makes you feel more comfortable to keep 'an eye on things' then go for it. If you research it and find it not necessary, then that's OK too.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,712 Posts
If someone researches it and chooses not to use them, I can respect that. It's not what I would do or recommend, but I also don't think it's that big of a deal since like I said, the conditions the strips test for have other symptoms. And as you mentioned, one could easily just use them if they felt something was off.

I just think you should at least know what you're choosing not to use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I just think you should at least know what you're choosing not to use.
I totally agree with you here. It's not so much what people choose, it's how they choose. If someone educates themselves and makes an informed choice, that is different than doing something blindly b/c someone said so (and this goes both way choosing interventions or choosing not to have them).


OK, back on topic now. Sorry!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
808 Posts
There is a thread on the birth professional board right now and in it it says that some MW's arent using the urine strips anymore....I have chosen to use them thus far...but I find it weird that so many MW's dont...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by poiyt View Post
There is a thread on the birth professional board right now and in it it says that some MW's arent using the urine strips anymore....I have chosen to use them thus far...but I find it weird that so many MW's dont...
Yeah that strikes me as a touch odd too. I know that pre-e will have other symptoms, and *usually* GD does too but sometimes it has very few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,836 Posts
I had a UP last pregnancy and used them a few times then choose not to because they were really not telling me anything that I couldn't have figured out another way... having a UP I was really much more intune with what was happening with my body and the strips were just getting in the way... imo

I will not be using them again this time either...

btw... I never checked my weight either... and won't again...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
i have only been doing blood pressure, fetal heart tones, fundal height, and some checking on the little babe's position... but i am considering using some strips though to check on my glucose levels. i've been having a few some symptoms of GD, the main one being extremely blurred vision. i'm not really of the opinion that GD is a scary disease, or a reason not to UC, but i have some suspicions that i might have it and i would just like to be sure... if only to know exactly what i might be dealing with here! i know i could use some adjustment to my diet...


i don't think it would hurt to check on that stuff, as long as you don't over do it and get too caught up on numbers... but it's more important to be in touch with how your body feels and any symptoms that seem unusual to you. if you are feeling healthy and pretty good overall i wouldn't worry about it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkyellowblue View Post
i have only been doing blood pressure, fetal heart tones, fundal height, and some checking on the little babe's position... but i am considering using some strips though to check on my glucose levels. i've been having a few some symptoms of GD, the main one being extremely blurred vision. i'm not really of the opinion that GD is a scary disease, or a reason not to UC, but i have some suspicions that i might have it and i would just like to be sure... if only to know exactly what i might be dealing with here! i know i could use some adjustment to my diet...


i don't think it would hurt to check on that stuff, as long as you don't over do it and get too caught up on numbers... but it's more important to be in touch with how your body feels and any symptoms that seem unusual to you. if you are feeling healthy and pretty good overall i wouldn't worry about it.
You may also want to get your eyes tested (not uncommon for eyes to change in pregnancy) and get a blood sugar monitor, you know, the kind for diabetics? And maybe start on the GD diet in the meantime.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
You may also want to get your eyes tested (not uncommon for eyes to change in pregnancy) and get a blood sugar monitor, you know, the kind for diabetics? And maybe start on the GD diet in the meantime.
i have an appointment with my optometrist in a few weeks, so i guess we'll see what she thinks... i haven't experienced any of the other usual eye changes - i wear contacts and they still fit just fine, and my eyes never get dry. hmmm...

but i've been pretty horrible in the last month with my diet and i figure that must be the main problem (we moved last month and our mealtimes have been chaos, i'm just trying to get everything unpacked and put away before baby get's here!). so i'm researching the GD diet right now... i have a feeling it will help! i think i will try the strips first before i start monitoring my blood though. i hate being pricked and poked!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
I think a glucose meter would be a much better tool for suspected blood sugar problems than the dip sticks.
i haven't tried them yet, but i would have thought they would be pretty accurate...i would think that as long as the levels are not extremely high that i will be able to regulate it just fine by adjusting myself to a GD diet... (and maybe start getting some more exercise)?

hmm...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhiandmoi View Post
They are a screening test not a diagnostic though. They tell you whether or not you have sugar in your urine, which may or may not be related to elevated blood sugar.

ahhhhh... i see. yeah, i will have to look more into it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I just think you should at least know what you're choosing not to use.
To preface, I am not intending to be contrary, but rather to give an alternate perspective.

There are myriad things that could go wrong during my pg. In fact the things that could go wrong out-number the things that go right by an amazing proportion. I choose not to focus on any of those things which I do not believe pertain to me. If one or two or more of them are potentially concerning, then I will pay attention to what I need to monitor.

If none of the potential problems that I consider relevant to me can be tested for on those strips or any other form of 'testing,' then I completely ignore the tests and pay attention to my issue instead.

I don't research all of the thousands of tools I could use to test for the myriad problems that can arise during pg; if I did, I wouldn't have time to do the only check I ever do during pg, which is to see if there's enough food in the fridge and if it's what I want to eat.

From my perspective, there is no negligence in not researching things that are not relevant to me no matter how easy or convenient they may be. They are just not relevant, and as long as that is the case, it is absurd to spend my time and effort researching what I won't be choosing to do/use.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
To preface, I am not intending to be contrary, but rather to give an alternate perspective.

There are myriad things that could go wrong during my pg. In fact the things that could go wrong out-number the things that go right by an amazing proportion. I choose not to focus on any of those things which I do not believe pertain to me. If one or two or more of them are potentially concerning, then I will pay attention to what I need to monitor.

If none of the potential problems that I consider relevant to me can be tested for on those strips or any other form of 'testing,' then I completely ignore the tests and pay attention to my issue instead.

I don't research all of the thousands of tools I could use to test for the myriad problems that can arise during pg; if I did, I wouldn't have time to do the only check I ever do during pg, which is to see if there's enough food in the fridge and if it's what I want to eat.

From my perspective, there is no negligence in not researching things that are not relevant to me no matter how easy or convenient they may be. They are just not relevant, and as long as that is the case, it is absurd to spend my time and effort researching what I won't be choosing to do/use.
I never said anything about negligence, nor did I intend to imply that. I also didn't say everyone has to research the myriad of things that could go wrong.

All I said here was that you should about the tests you choose not to do in reference to one specific, very commonly used urine strip. I definitely don't think you have to know about every tool, test, or complication. I think knowing about the main/most common tests that are done is important, yeah. And knowing about the most common complications is good, too. Really only talking about like, three here, not a myriad of things or tests.

Just trying to clarify.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,808 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
All I said here was that you should know about the tests you choose not to do in reference to one specific, very commonly used urine strip.
Right, but my point considers this common test and any others that anyone else might consider as important as you consider this one (however important you do- I don't know and am not guessing).

It's very arbitrary to single out this one test for the perspective you shared earlier though, don't you think? Why just this test? Why should I know about this particular test that I choose not to use? It may be common, but common doesn't always or even usually indicate the level of importance, for me.

Ultrasounds are common. Dopplers for heart tones are common and accessible to whomever, and I don't use those either, even though it is so easy and they are a convenient way for me to know my baby's heart rate. The strips are a convenient way for me to know the results of those tests, too.

I would just rather sit on the couch with a book and eat a banana, which in the greater scheme of health, is far more productive and provides more potential for continued good health and outcomes than testing for protein or sugar in my urine. But that's me and those issues are not relevant to me, so I am curious about why I "should" research what I "choose not to use".

I am totally not upset or trying to stir conflict. I am asking genuinely because it's important to me that I know why I do what I do and why you think I "should" do something other than what I do. I have reasons for what I do and if I have a moral impetus ("should") imposed by the perspective of someone else, I like to know the reasons behind that moral impetus. Please share.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,712 Posts
I really can't think of a way to respond without this turning into a debate, and that's against the UA plus it would totally thread jack. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like me to expound on it
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top