Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We co-sleep at night but the baby naps in the swing (papasan style so it's safe) in her room during the day. We've tried to get her to sleep in the crib in her room for naps, but she wakes herself up very easily, when she rolls over.<br><br>
She's nearly 14 months old and has started skipping her afternoon nap, but when I try to take her to bed earlier for the night, she wakes up before dawn and I'm exhausted.<br><br>
I want her to sleep in the crib for nap time, and be able to put her in the crib earlier at night and let her sleep there until we're ready for bed. That would be the ideal thing. But I don't know how to do it. I've read the NCSS and she won't take a lovey. So I'm not sure what else to do.<br><br>
It hasn't been so bad, with me going to bed with her at night, since she usually wouldn't go to sleep until after 9pm. It's unsafe for her to be in the bed without me, since it's really tall and putting it on the floor would still make it too tall (plus our room isn't set up so it can be 100% babyproofed). So putting her there at 7pm isn't safe without me staying too.<br><br>
I really want her to start sleeping in the crib more, though plan to still co-sleep at night, but how can I get her to stay settled in the crib? She rolls over and will sit up and *then* wakes up. And isn't happy at all, because it usually happens about 15 mins after she's gone to bed.<br><br>
She's still okay in the swing during the day, but will be outgrowing it very soon (like in a month or so). She's teething and wakes/stirs a lot at night, but I let her latch on and she usually goes back to sleep. I can't (obviously) do that when she's in the crib during the day, though I try rocking and letting her nurse to go back to sleep but that usually doesn't work, since I don't get to her until she makes noise and is awake. (We have a monitor.)<br><br>
Any advice on how to get her to sleep in the crib and be settled? This isn't an immediate thing, but will be an issue very soon if she continues to not nap in the afternoon, but has an earlier bedtime instead, because I can't go to bed with her every single night at 7pm. It's just too much.<br><br>
TIA.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sorry, I've NEVER been successful at getting anyone to sleep in a crib, but the easiest thing for us was to buy a thin Ikea foam mattress and put it in the middle of the room on the floor. We removed all furniture so there was no stimulation and no risk of injury. I nursed DD to sleep early on in the evening, then got up and returned later in the night. It does make the room look unappealing, but I found it to be worthwhile, since DD was a very light sleeper. FWIW!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts