Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have surgery scheduled for December 21 (having my tailbone removed - apparently I have a weird tailbone that was injured either in late pregnancy or during labor which prevented me from birthing vaginally so I ended up with a c-section - it was a planned homebirth that ended up in transfer which really sucked).  Its' been causing me serious pain since the birth and I need to have it removed.....</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Our one and only son (14 months) has slept with us since birth (and it still nursing).  I really hadn't planned on moving him from our bed this early or night weaning him, but it may come to that with this surgery.  I won't be able to sit down for quite awhile.  I will probably we able to lay on my side (I think?) so I should be able to still nurse him (I hope), but I may be pretty uncomfortable at first and not able to move very well</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas on how to handle this?  I was thinking that we could move the futon mattress to the floor or our room in case I or he and DH needed to sleep on it the first couple nights.  I REALLY am not ready to night wean him yet, though.  What if I can't nurse him the first couple nights due to discomfort?  Will he pick back up when I feel better?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
442 Posts
<p>I'd definitely talk to him about what to expect in easy-to-understand language (Mommy's back hurts a lot and the doctor is going to make it better, but for a little while Mommy will be sick and not able to play with you as much.  Daddy will help you when Mommy can't.).  I'd also talk to your doctor about pain medication and what to expect with the healing process.  Make sure your doctor knows you willl be breastfeeding so the two of you can choose medication appropriately. Most pain meds are safe while breastfeeding, and it's usually better to keep a constant level in your system than to wait until you're really painful. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>It might be better, if you think night nursing won't be possible at first, for your DH and son to sleep in a separate room from you.  If you're there, he's not going to understand why he can't nurse.  He's likely to be sad and cry (I think there's a big difference between crying with a loving adult to comfort him and being left to cry alone, FWIW), and you're not going to get any rest if you are listening to him. Is there another room you could go to if needed?  Or could DH and DS sleep in another room?  And you might just find that it's easier to lie in bed and nurse!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He'll probably go back to normal without any problems.  I know several moms with toddlers of around that age who've had to be away for a few nights for work, and baby nurses as usual when Mom comes home.  And they often sleep all night for Daddy, of course ;-)  A nursing strike is possible, but if you're spending a lot of time in bed, probably will be relatively easy to coax him back to the breast.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts