Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi, Mamas!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Haven't posted in awhile but have checked in now and then.  So many new names these days!  Hard to figure our who's who.  Ds is doing great these days.  He has been pooping daily (1 to 2 times) for awhile (roughly since aug/sept) and has been so close to baseline on reactions that I really can see clear coorelations these days between foods and symptoms.  Anyway, this is such a relief for our family that the allergies and constipation have really finally taken a back seat in our lives.  No more 7 to 10 days between poops and then 2 hours of crying waiting for it to happen while he tried to hold it.  This was so horrible for ds and so stressful for the other kids.  Now he is like a "normal" toddler... runs and hides in the office or behind the curtain and comes out and announces proudly, "I pooped!" with a huge smile.  His language is great and he gained 3lb from the end of Aug to the begining of Nov.   His behaviour is stable and is sleep is usually good.   It was such a long road and I am sure glad we are on this side of all of that and hope never to go back!  I thank God for the guidance to find the answers that we have found so far.   I really learned so much from many of you and continue to and am very grateful to have this forum to learn and bounce ideas off of some smart people.  I think what finally tipped the balance for us was diving headlong into the GAPS diet.  Once we finally got all grains out and reduced the sugar to almost none he really turned a corner pretty quickly.  However, we were already supplementing with various supplements and helping him detox slowly before that so that ground work was done. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Here's my current question.... I have noticed in the past few months that I have an increasing sensitivity to chocolate, coffee and tea.  I assumed this was caffeine related as that is the obvious common link.  Now, however, even if I eat a small bite of chocolate (I am talking tiny nibble) I don't sleep that night and have bizarre dreams if I do fall asleep.  Then I get a migraine headache the next day.  The same symptoms occur with even decaf coffee or tea (and just a tiny amount).  I think ds gets restless and itchy all over (kind of like his sals reactions in the past) the next day too, which would coorespond with what I have noticed as far as timeline for allergens to pass through my breastmilk to him and cause a reaction.  Ok, so avoid these, right?  I would just do that and stop there but I really want to understand why this has happened to me.  It seems like my body should be able to handle caffeine better than this.  Or is there some other food chemical that is common to these items that I should also look into?  I used to drink regular coffee and eat chocolate without a problem.  Admittedly, there have been times in my life when I consumed (way) too much coffee and other caffeinated beverages.  This was years ago though.  I think I read somwhere about detox pathways being out of balance or something causing the inability to process caffeine properly.  Can someone explain this simply for me and then point me in the right direction.  I would like to be able to tolerate caffeine in small amounts.  Also, I feel like this sensitivity is a symptom of a problem that needs to be fixed.  If I can fix it somehow then, why not?  Thanks for your insights as always</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Jen</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts