Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The people that live behind me have a dog. It is a beautiful, very friendly black lab mix. The poor thing is chained to a tree with no shelter whatsoever, no dog house, no tarp, nothing. We have had a lot of rain this week and it has been stuck under the tree.

I seldom see anyone there, and usually someone drives up and then feeds and waters the dog. I assumed that this was being done every day but now I am not sure. DS noticed the other day that the dog's water dish (a rusty metal coffee can) was knocked over and gave the dog some water. The dog drank like he was terribly thirsty. Since then we have been watering him a couple of times a day and making sure that he has food.

I called the local police and was informed that they did not have the resources to do anything (small town, no animal control). I asked about animal neglect/abuse laws and they gave me the run around.

So this afternoon, I was hanging laundry and I gave the dog some water and a young man came out and asked me what I was doing. I told him that the dog didn't have food and water half of the time and that he needed to take better care of it. He told me that the dog would have plenty of food and water if he would learn not to knock his water dish over with the chain!

Obviously he could care less, and I am so pleased to have such a wonderful neighbor.

DH may have a friend at work who lives in another town that would take the dog. I am thinking about just taking the dog in the middle of the night. But I am sure that the local police will do somehing about that if I am caught.

My heart is breaking for this poor animal.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have no ideas whatsoever, but I can commiserate. Our neighbors (well they just moved away, thank god) were terribly mean to their dog. I saw the man kicking the poor thing on several different occassions. I wanted to call the police but dh and several other people said that would be a bad idea because then the terrible neighbors would be doing bad things to us as well as the dog. I felt so helpless.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Do call your local Animal Control or Dog law officer.
this guy is a creep.

if you take the dog... yo will get questioned by PS - oddly these kind of owners care less about their dog until it disappears & then they act all concerned
:

I've BTDT & PM me

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
Does this guy ever leave? Can you kidnap the dog? Maybe get some friends to hlp? Whisk him away to a better home. Have it well planned out and do it quickly and get the dog out of town. Maybe have friends do it while you are out somewhere else so it does not look like you.

At least that is what I would do if I was brave. Poor doggy.

Is there maybe county animal control?

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
You would think there would be someone somewhere that you could turn to for help! Since locally obviously they are not going to do anything to help you, maybe as the PP suggested you can go to the next level and call a county office? If not, I would definitely go out in the middle of the night and kidnap the poor dog, obviously he isn't afraid of you, hopefully he wouldn't bark or anything and wake up the wonderfully caring neighbor that you have
maybe your friend from the other town can come over one night and help you execute your master plan

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am so glad that there others out there who would also consider dognapping.

He has gotton off of his chain twice, so that will be my story.

I'll update when the deed is done.

I suddenly have the Mission Impossible theme song in my head.

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRED

dun dun dudun, dun dun dudun, dun dun dudun, dun dun dudun, doo doo doooooo, doo doo dooooo, doo doo doooo doo doo......... now I'll be singing it all day long :LOL

·
Registered
485 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyRED
I am so glad that there others out there who would also consider dognapping.

He has gotton off of his chain twice, so that will be my story.

I'll update when the deed is done.

:LOL

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
If you do decide to go the law-abiding route, you might call the county clerk's office and see if there is a county dog officer. A lot of rural areas will consolidate stuff at the county level if there are a bunch of small towns around without the resources.

Although, I can support the idea of getting that dog to somebody who will treat it nice, but would plan it well so you don't get caught

Hey, maybe there is such a thing as a compassionate conservative. Who knew.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Z
If you do decide to go the law-abiding route, you might call the county clerk's office and see if there is a county dog officer. A lot of rural areas will consolidate stuff at the county level if there are a bunch of small towns around without the resources.
I tried the clerk and the sheriff, I guess that the had bigger fish to fry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer Z
Hey, maybe there is such a thing as a compassionate conservative. Who knew.

Uh huh, you shouldn't be so quick to judge. Read my last post in the RWC thread!
:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I've dognapped alone and with an accomplice under similar circumstances and I'd do it again if necessary. You go, girl! I'll be happy to contribute to your legal defense fund, if necessary.

Free Crazy Red! Free Crazy Red! Free Crazy Red!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts